In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need help with a beagle puppy

CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
edited September 2007 in General Discussion
A friend of mine has a 3 month old purebred beagle puppy. So we need help over here to housebreak him any and all help will be appreciated.

Comments

• IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    use a kennel. They don't like sleeping in their on poo for too long
  • CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    weve tried that and he wont go to the bathroom in there he holds it until you let him out and then goes in the bedroom and in the second living room. I woke up to nine piles yesterday.
  • Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
    edited November -1
    This has always worked for me.....everytime you take him out of the kennel, take him outside. I just trained my wifes new Yorshire using this method. He learnt in a few days, now he goes to the door when he has to go.......quote:Originally posted by big800
    use a kennel. They don't like sleeping in their on poo for too long
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make sure you take the pup outside often during the day....put him in a small kennel when you're sleeping or if you're going to be out for a while.

It usually doesn't take long for the pup to figure out he's supposed to "go" outside

Good luck
  • IdahoboundIdahobound Member Posts: 20,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Make him stay in the kennel and then take him outside. prase him when he goes out side and does his work
  • watrulookinatwatrulookinat Member Posts: 4,693
    edited November -1
    you need to crate train him. There den animals he will be fine.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    LulaBear, our Labradoodle * had nine pups recently.
    Eight survived and all were housetrained by 10 weeks when we sold them.
    Small crates and frequent trips outside is the key.
    Positive rewards as soon as they pee or poop is very important.
    My wife can get about $300 more for a housetrained pup.
    She starts them at 5 weeks of age.

CP
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    1st: Beagle aren't very smart dogs (as dogs go). Do a web search on dog intelliegence ratings and you'll find that Beagles are near the bottom. So it may take a little longer than w/some other more itelligent breed.
    Patience and persistence is going to be key here. But I agree w/the take it outside VERY OFTEN advice. And make it STAY outside until it goes. It shouldn't take long before the dog learns that if it wants back inside, it has to "potty" before it can.
    Also using a "catch command" (word or phrase) may help. When you take it outside, tell it, "Let's go potty." (Or just potty etc). And stand at the door and repeat it until it does and associates the phrase w/the action and desired (for him) result.
    BTW: Having it around other already house broken dogs is a big help.
    Our daughter has a dog that she couldn't house break. But we began "dog sitting" the dog while she works. And this dog became housebroken in no time after being w/our dogs and observing the "potty routine".
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cyclonus
    weve tried that and he wont go to the bathroom in there he holds it until you let him out and then goes in the bedroom and in the second living room. I woke up to nine piles yesterday.
    You need to get out of bed every day.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you don't have to start off with taking him outside. put down several thicknesses of newspaper somewhere inside, so he doesn't have to go looking for it, and the idea is that he's going to go potty in the same place -on the newspapers. odor helps him figure that out, so take some of his poop and leave it on there. if you can, direct him over there to help him figure it out. when you change the newspapers, leave a little bit on the new ones for odor. he'll start going on them by himself.

then move it over by the door. when he gets that routine established, move it outside the door. he'll go over to where the newspapers were and wonder where they're at? show him they're outside. after a while do away with the newspapers. when you do that, he'll probably be looking for them and actually hold it until he finds some newspapers to go on. then you have to show him it's ok to go outside without the newspapers.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    buschmaster has it...

You can do the newspaper route, you just have to watch the puppy for signs that it needs to go and take it to the paper or even take it outside ....AFter it goes PRAISE it with lots of attention and affectijon...

Nine piles(9)???? sounds like you are feeding it waaaaaaaaay to much or you stay in bed a hell of a long time...

Housebreaking a puppy requires the owner to get off their lazy butts and train the dog....
    edited November -1
    I disagree. You're sending mixed signals. You want the dog to learn that OUTSIDE is the ONLY acceptable place. Make it as simple as possible. Teach him what you want him to learn in the 1st place.
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    I disagree. You're sending mixed signals. You want the dog to learn that OUTSIDE is the ONLY acceptable place. Make it as simple as possible. Teach him what you want him to learn in the 1st place.

Agree
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
    There are several excellent books one the subject....My Uncle was a serious dog trainer..
    "You train the trainer and the dog will go along for the ride"...
    edited November -1
    Another aspect of this is punishment for wrong doing. Granted that the postive training is most important. But punishment is also IMO important.
    Note that in the animal world, physical punishment is used by animal parents.
    IMO when the dog potty's in the house, a few LIGHT swats w/a loosely rolled up newspaper is an effectve tool. The point here is nut as much physical as the mental. As the loud popping sound frightens the dog and creates a assoiciated memory. I also don't believe you have to catch them "in the act".
    Animals can tell the scent of their urine/feces from other dogs/animals.
    Take him to the scene of the crime. Rub his nose gently in the spot. Punish him there. (You might not even have to actually hit him w/the paper) Then put him outside w/command and MAKE him obey before allowed back in.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While growing up, we must have had four or five dogs. My Mom housebroke 'em by rubbing their nose in the wee wee or doo doo, smacking them on the butt, speaking harshly to them, and putting them outside.
    She would have us kids watch the dog, and only punish the dog if we saw the dog's accident, and do it immediately after the dog had done his business.
    Worked like a charm.
    I have two cats and two dogs. I started housebreaking 'em just like Mom did. Worked great. Takes two to three weeks.
    I have read on the internet that this punishment technique is worthless, will not work, and will psychologically scar the animal and he will hate you.
    Well that is not true. My pets love me and we get along great. These are four happy, spoiled animals.
    I guess I need to take 'em to a pet psychiatrist and let him tell me how badly my pets have been damaged by my housebreaking techniques.
  • ReloadCMReloadCM Member Posts: 147 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You can't wrong with my dad's way... Animals belong outside, not inside. Never let them in the house. Problem solved. It isn't necessarily my opinion and we did have cats, dogs, birds, turtles, fish, gerbels, hamsters, rabbits, chickens, etc. Everything but the chickens were inside. Us 7 women overruled Dad a lot. Poor guy. My mother bred Lhasa Apsos. She used the newspaper method moving the pile of papers closer and closer to the door. It worked. We didn't know about crate training back then. I think I would do the crate method if I had another dog. But that's not happening since I found out I'm allergic to them and my cats.
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat

+1
    Limit food, a pup that age should get about 3 cups (max)of dry food per day, 1/2 in the am, 1/2 in the pm, give the pup its food, let it eat, when it's done, take the food away, and then exercise / play for 15-20 min.
    Take the pup outside, and it will go.[:D] you need to know the signs of the pup looking for a place to go also, usually they start sniffing, looking for where they went before (a good reason to clean accident spots good), when you see the pup sniffing, get it out side, when it goes, give praise, and maybe a SMALL training treat.
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • PennyPincherPennyPincher Member Posts: 126 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to say I was terrified when we got our dog last year that I wouldn't be able to house train him. Every dog I had when I was growing up was an outdoor dog. I adopted an older dog and she was house trained already. When we got our latest addition we crated him when we weren't around and at night and immediately took him outside to "go potty" every time we took him out. Always told him to "go potty" even when he started before we could get the words out and then immediately praised with "good potty" when done. Yes, I felt like an *. Also, about 30 minutes after eating they need to be taken out, maybe sooner with a real young pup. A couple of times we forgot and he peed on the rug. We never got mad. Just took him out immediately and cleaned it up. My friend also told me to ALWAYS take the dog out the same door for potty. You also have to learn their signal that they have to go. Mine would sit at the front door which really sucked because unless you are in the very small vestibule you can't see the door so then he would come in and pee on the rug right in front of us. Now he comes up and just annoys us to take him out. Now we can leave him in the large enclosed porch all day and he won't make a mess in there. As they get older they are able to hold it longer. Good luck![:D]

I don't believe in the paper method as someone else said it gives them mixed messages that it's okay to pee in the house.
  • reverb37040reverb37040 Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know something about Beagles. Beagles' brains don't do well with connecting past events to present results. I had one with the same problem in housebreaking. You can take a beagle and point it at a still steaming turd on your floor and say "no" or whatever and they won't connect what they did 3 minutes ago to what is making you upset now. They will think that turds themselves are bad things. However, beagles are very good connecting present actions to what's good or bad. You need to watch that puppy like a hawk and catch it in the act when it starts to go in the house. Pick it up right there, say a quick, disappointed but not scary "no, no, no" and then get it outside. Then, congratulate it when it goes where it should. If you find a chewed up shoe and discipline the dog, it won't know that you're mad at its chewing on the shoe an hour ago. Beagles, once they do get it, though, will never forget it. My veterinarian explained to me about the beagle issue with connecting past events to present results. Don't get too crazed if it takes a dump in your house, it'll be too frightened about the actual taking of a dump. You don't want that because it'll start to hold it in when you're around & want it to go. After my vet told us about this, it took maybe 2 weeks to solve the problem forever. Beagles have very simple dog brains and all they want is for everyone to be happy, you know? If you can show that it makes you happy when the dog goes where and when it should, the dog will do it every time.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Beagles are very bull headed