In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another ailment??? Hope not.

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited September 2007 in General Discussion
Playing secondbase last night, ground ball to my left, I come across and the first basement comes to his right to snag it. He blocks my vision, ball comes shooting by him. SMACK, square off my shin. I grab it and throw to first. Leg was sore for a few hours afterwards. Stich marks in my leg, slight bruise (I very rarely bruise).

Now, sitting in front of the computer here at work, I feel these sharp, shooting pains up my shin. Gets worse when I walk. Should I get an x-ray?
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get it checked. Health is THE most important thing in your life.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by royc38

I know, I think I'm falling apart. Both shoulders are making all kinds of noise and poppin and cracking. Both knees, although my left is bad. Misaligned kneecap, partially torn minscus, patellafemoral pain syndrome, tennis elbow, high cholesterol, high blood sugar. The latter two has been kept under control.

I'm only 23. I'm not supposed to feel like this.
  • Sith LordSith Lord Member Posts: 480
    edited November -1
    With out Good health, you have nothing...[;)]
  • SGSG Member Posts: 7,548
    edited November -1
    Ouch! them shots to the shin hurt like a mother!Years ago, when steel cleets were still legal, I had a guy stealing second and he came in sliding right up my shin with them dam spikes.Man did I want to beat him down,but I was in too much pain.Still got the grooves that run about 12 inches up my leg.
  • riderrider Member Posts: 1,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wouldn't hurt to get an Xray....bad time to do it though, on the weekend. You will have to wade through the illegals getting their free stuff and wait up to umpteen hours in an emergency room.....[:(!][:(!] By the time you see your regular doc, it will be better....[:)][:)]

rider
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cubslover
    quote:Originally posted by royc38

I know, I think I'm falling apart. Both shoulders are making all kinds of noise and poppin and cracking. Both knees, although my left is bad. Misaligned kneecap, partially torn minscus, patellafemoral pain syndrome, tennis elbow, high cholesterol, high blood sugar. The latter two has been kept under control.

I'm only 23. I'm not supposed to feel like this.

some times age has nothing to do with health. GET IT CHECKED
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Walk it off, you will be ok.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    Cubs,

Hows the leg today?

Still the same, sorry FCD, I didn't see this. Thanks for asking!

I have a two day tournament to play this weekend. No way in hell I'm getting an x-ray before then. I have to play, it would be hard to play with a cast on (if there is something wrong).

I can barely stand on just my left leg, with the problems already with my knee and now my shin, my whole left leg hurts.
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubs, I feel for Ya. I'm 47 and still play Mens League. It's tough playing against all you youngsters. I can't hit as hard, run as fast, throw as far or as hard as I once did. I've been relegated to picher, catcher or 1st. All I can do is "hit 'em wher they ain't" and jog the bases.

I hope you're still able to play when you're my age with all those aches, pains and injuries you have already.[:D][:D]

Seriously though, you only get one body, better take care of it.
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    cubslover:

May I ask you a personal question: How did you get in this condition when you are only 23? Please don't take this question in a mean spirited way. It is just that guys your age don't usually have these kinds of issues until they are older. Also forgive me but I know not your medical history.
    edited November -1
    I've played sports since I was 5.

Baseball
    Soccer
    Basketball
    Football

I am wondering the same thing.

3-4 years ago I used to run 6 miles regularly in less than 45min and never get winded.

The left knee is an old soccer injury that is getting worse, but the doc doesn't want to do any procedures yet (I'm in a knee brace now, the shin splints (real bad sometimes) came out of nowhere and won't go away. Right elbow is damage from playing 8 years at 3B and SS in baseball. Throwing at 100% every time, and now it's worse from launching 12" softballs.

I'm in great physical shape @ 6', 210lbs. Maybe an extra 6-8lbs in my belly, but my legs and upper body are still very muscular and lean. Resting heart rate of 62BPM, respitory rate at 11, BP is typically 110-120/60-66.

I've worked to keep my cholesterol and blood sugar levels down. I eat fairly well and stay pretty active.

Like I said. I'm also wondering why I am hurting so much.
  • ZebraZebra Member Posts: 5,762
    edited November -1
    When we were in High School, a friend of mine layed down his 750 Kawasaki in Mission Bay and his shin caught a steel water sprinkler. It was clearly fractured. He limped around for about a month before gangrene sat in. Then he decided to go to the ER. Mike Kolls were are ya man!
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    cubs,

I'd get it checked out ASAP.

As far as being 23 and having so many aches and pains, I'd recommend seeing a physical therapist. Chances are all of those sports you played put some mileage on ya, so to speak, and a therapist might be able to help out. A friend of mine was having problems with his neck (we're talking stiffness accompanied by pounding headaches) and saw a physical therapist about it. After six months (I think? I'll have to ask him, but I think they were twice-a-month visits for six months) he was as good as new.
  • BarkingDogBarkingDog Member Posts: 841 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a baseball or softball CANT do any serious damage to your shin. my guess is you arent seriously injured in anyway.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Barking Dog,

What hit you doesn't matter - it's how it hit you and where.

I would caution against advocating a course of non-action, especially where one's health is concerned.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BarkingDog
    a baseball or softball CANT do any serious damage to your shin. my guess is you arent seriously injured in anyway.

Yeah, that's what the coaches always told you when you were a kid.

My guess is you've never taken a smokin grounder in the shin.[;)]
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could have a hairline fracture.
    I had one in my wrist, and didn't do anything about it,.......it kept opening back up, and wouldn't heal.
    I had to wear a wrist brace, for close to a year, to get that sucker back to normal.
    Sometimes a hairline won't show on a typical x-ray, and an MRI might be needed.
    Wait until you are 45 or so, if you think you hurt now![:D]
    I have done all the things you have plus 25 years in a very "physical" trade. One knee , football hyperextension, the other one, detached patella, and a couple of "notches" in the mating surfaces of the joint from a motorcycle accident. Add in three degenerated lumbar discs, plus neck trouble from 2 whiplashes, and arthritis runs in the family!
    Makes for some challenging days!![xx(]
    Just gotta keep yourself going![;)]
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • SuburbanNoizeSuburbanNoize Member Posts: 10,142
    edited November -1
    cubs i had no idea you were only 23, your only a couple years older than me![:)]