In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W mod 39-2

DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
edited March 2001 in General Discussion
Does any one own one of these or ever shot one?My local smith has one in great shape for 150 dollars. Are ther any problems like jamming or other problems that these models have?How many rounds do they hold and what do extra mags cost approx.? I've never seen one of these before so I was wondering why they aren't very popular?thanks

Comments

• AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If he's selling it for $150, there must be a problem. The Model 39 was S&W's first entry into the 9mm DA auto field and one of the first US made 9mm autos. It had a reputation for malfunctions, but with a little work they are not bad.If you buy it and dont like it, I'll let you make a profit.
    All vintage firearms, all the time. Now an authorized RustePrufe distributor! www.apaxenterprises.comAntiqueDr@apaxenterprises.com"Remember son, you cannot polish a t*rd." - my father, upon my first gun purchase (Belgian hammer double).
  • DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of malfunctions? What does it take to fix them?Thanks
  • AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A lot of them work just fine like they are. When they were introduced, there wasn't a whole lot of choices in 9mm hollowpoint ammunition. As the ammunition got more radical, the M39's developed a reputation for failures-to-feed. A good gunsmith can fix that easily, if it becomes an issue.The M39 was the basis for quite a few custom guns like the Devel and the ASP, both $1000+ guns today.The Model 39-2 was made from 1970-1982 when the model was dropped in favor of the 439 (the so-called "Second Generation"). Magazine capacity is 8 rounds; since it is not a "hi-cap" extra mags should be relatively inexpensive.$150 is a wonderful deal. If it is any kind of decent shape I'd buy 10 at that price, right now.
    All vintage firearms, all the time. Now an authorized RustePrufe distributor! www.apaxenterprises.comAntiqueDr@apaxenterprises.com"Remember son, you cannot polish a t*rd." - my father, upon my first gun purchase (Belgian hammer double).
  • royc38royc38 Member Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have owned a 39-2 since 1984. Mine is two tone chrome slide with black aluminum frame. I have mixed results for you. The guns shoots very well and is very accurate. I bought it used so I cant tell you what has been done to it. But it does have a strange quirk about it. For some strange reason it will not shoot CCI Blazer aluminum case ammo.It will jam every time and turn into the biggest hunk of junk you ever saw. Anything brass will go through it like water. hope this info helps you out
  • bsebastbsebast Member Posts: 190 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Regarding what royc38 said, a lot of semi autos have problems with CCI Blazer ammo, not just S&W 39's. If you have a chance to buy a S&W 39, the original version of the 39, BEWARE. The flaw with that model was in the extractor. It has a flat spring about 2 inches long that runs along the side of the slide. When they break, which happenes quite often, they can be expensive to repair. (In fact S&W won't repair them-- they put on a 39-2 slide.) Thus, S&W came out with the 39-2. It has an extractor similar to late model Browning High Powers. The 39-2 was a very successful gun.
    bsebast@airmail.net[This message has been edited by bsebast (edited 03-26-2001).][This message has been edited by bsebast (edited 03-26-2001).]
  • semi-autosemi-auto Member Posts: 50 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My nickel slide 39-2 is an excellent and smooth shooting pistol with any ammo, including Blazers. All stock, besides the slide being plated. FYI, had to put up $275, and thought it was a steal.
  • DENWADENWA Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As luck would have it went this morn. to get the pistol and the original owner came and picked it up yesterday. The smith kept this weapon for 8 months and could not contact owner. So he was selling it for the ammount of the repair/re-bluing charge.Oh well, thanks anyway for the advice.
  • crisisbillcrisisbill Member Posts: 487 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 39-2 and love it, be advised that the 39-2 is the "Improved" model 39, the 39 had it's share of problems but those were addressed in the 39-2.Th 39 was heavy metal the 39-2 was introduced in alloy, it has a 8 shot clip, it is almost the same as the 59 except the the 59 holds more.So for that price grab it and enjoy, it's a great little shooter, mine groups very well.
    If you Fail to Prepare, Prepare to Fail
  • muwapemuwape Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought a model 39-2 new back in the '70's and it still looks and shoots like new. probably have a thousand or so rounds thru it. It's the first handgun i ever bought and still one of my favorites.If you found one for $150.00, i agree, there must be a problem...$400 or so would be my guess at a fair price.
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I disagree with crisisbill that the M39 had a "heavy" frame, while the M39-2 had an alloy frame. Alloy frames were standard on all earlier Smith 9mms, with the exception of a few very rare steel frame (less than 1000 made in the mid-1960s) M39-type pistols. (The M52 target pistols also had steel frames.)