In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How Long Before This Happens Here?

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited January 2003 in General Discussion
quote:Islamic law has been officially adopted in Britain, with sharia courts given powers to rule on Muslim civil cases

[:(!]

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,422661,00.html

Comments

• nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    29 Dec 2002 12:25
    UK may cordon off cities after terror attacks

LONDON, Dec 29 (Reuters) - Britain may impose emergency cordons around London and other major cities to stop people fleeing after a biological terror attack, The Sunday Times reported.

The cordons would be enforced by the military and police to prevent people spreading infection to other parts of the country.

"Existing legislation is not flexible enough to deal with the threats we are facing," a government spokeswoman told Reuters on Sunday.

"On the setting up of health cordons, the law may need to be tightened in this area," she said.

A new civil contingencies bill would allow police and military to quarantine or evacuate people by force, The Sunday Times said.

Professor Michael Langman, of the joint vaccinations and immunisation committee which advises on how to deal with biological warfare threats, said there was concern that people in cities would try to leave after an anthrax or smallpox attack, potentially spreading infection.

"There will certainly be some panic with people jumping into their cars with their families to try to flee the city and avoid contamination, but they would be stopped," he told The Sunday Times.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    Nice.

Lord Lowrider the LoquaciousMember:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets She was only a fisherman's daughter,But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We have it already, DUI check points. What are we living in Nazi Germany?

Papers Please.

Edit, I'm gonna hear it on this one. And here I was being all supportive of LEOs.

Regards,
    Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart throws a sword at you!
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Already planned for...where you think the Britts got the idea ?

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    I guess it would depend on where you live and where it hit as to whether you would agree with the policy in a real life situation.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    drobs, I couldn't agree more. We just keep giving up freedom at an unheard of rate. The less we move the tighter they squeeze.

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • elect1mikeelect1mike Member Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am with drobs did we go back to 1940 germany.

bull.txt
    col elect1mike Illinois
    volinters RRG
    O give me a home where no democrats roam
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, what a way to start off the new year. I still have an uneasy feeling about tonight.

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the event of a biologicl attack, I would hope there are plans ready to be put into action whereby treatment can be quickly focused on the area attacked. If people scattered, not only would they spread the sickenss, but they would be impossible to treat.

Just another way of looking at it.

Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kinda allready happened once with hoof and mouth when they had a, and probably still got a problem with hoof and mouth in the UK if you traveled there and came back to the US your were suppost to disenfect your shoes and ect as soon as you arrived in the US and if you were not suppost to be around any livestock and ect for a period of days which i dont remember off the top of my head...but anyways it was and is a good deal i sure would not want to be the one to bring hoof and mouth and ect into the US! me and a heck of a lot of other cattle men would like to have a hangin party if that happened! not really the same issue but yet it is.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear they called these checkpoints "safety checkpoint stations."

zeight hile(sp)

Regards,
    Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some aquatic ceremony. You can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart throws a sword at you!
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    There was a near identical plan from our British friends in place 700 years ago to prevent the spread of the "Black Death". Of course it failed and London was devestated. As those of us who study history can tell you- there really are no new ideas.

Mark T. Christian
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The trouble is that if everyone tried to drive out of London, they would rapidly create gridlock, then everyone would get out of his car and breathe all over one another. This is not the best way to avoid catching a plague. These officials need to present their rationale and give folks a better option than "panic and run;" then they won't have to worry about panic.

Everybody run out and rent THE STAND. A pretty good movie, with a great use of the song "Don't Fear the Reaper" at the beginning. The dude that spread the plague at the beginning of the movie did so by racing out of a containment area just before they got the gate closed. Then he pulled over and asked for help from various groups of perfectly healthy people before finally dying at a gas station, not even knowing that he was giving them all a fatal disease. It's just fiction, but a pretty good job of showing what NOT to do.

As Berringer says in "Platoon" to the wounded soldier who is putting them all in danger with his yelling, "take the pain!" Sometimes, that is the braver thing to do.

Life NRA Member

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."
  • jeenyesjeenyes Member Posts: 330 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There was a movie back in the 70s called "no blade of grass". All vegetation was dying so people were going to starve. China blocked off their cities and nuked some of them to cut down on people.
    England blocked off theirs and did the same thing.
    It turned out it was every man for hisself. The army was killing people for food. The stars of the movie also killed for food and when they got to the place where a brother of one of them had a retreat, they fought them to take over.
    So yes I think it could happen.

I love freedom, cause a chained dog ain't happy. A southern born child living behind enemy lines in occupied territory
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    That was a great movie. Didn't get a lot of press though. I also bought the book and read it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com, the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Nunn:

Funny you should bring this up. I heard on the news the other day that the US FEMA was reviving and revising it's plans for containment in the event of an NBC attack.

Trap my family in town while we wait to die?

Force me into a "Shelter" (run by the Federal government and thereby considered a Government building: No Firearms Allowed) full of sick people so my family can wither and die?

Screw that noise.

I've got my family's exfil routes pre-determined around a variety of potential mayham.

Caches and Proper Prior Planning will Prevent Piss Poor Performance...and certain death in a "containment zone".

Stand And Be Counted
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Evil...maybe someone already contaminated can get to your rural redoubt and share it with your family. I really think that if we had bad biological contamination especially in the large cities it would behoove the great majority of Americans to forcefully contain it. I know I wouldn't want potentially infected people drifting through my area and increasing the contamination. Yeah I know if I were in one of the cities hit by the bio attack it would really suck...but it would suck worse if we got out and harmed others. Sounds harsh but it just might be a good move for everyone else.Beach

P.S. Can you imagine how p*ssed off TLynne would be if I brought 20,000 infected Detroiters to her beautiful part of Montana or Idaho so that we could "survive".....She'd run out of .303 ammo shooting us!!! Beach
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I get to be Larry Underhill!! Beach, she'd probably hit us, too!!
  • alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    You might be able to find something to indicate that this action may be implimented in FEMA's CONPLAN.

anim0447.gif
    Ageless cosmic rocker!