In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I've been attacked through the forum (I think)

Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited December 2002 in General Discussion
This morning I went under "profile" and turned on my email option, where members could email me if they wanted. Within an hour I received a virus laced message with a Sierra Club signature. My Norton antivirus program haulted it. Norton said the message contained a virus and was isolating it to protect my computer. I guess I didn't get contaminated.

Could it be the "other side" is attacking us through the GunBroker forum? Does anyone else get messages with viruses? This was the first time it's ever happened...where Norton actively intercepted a message. And the coincidence with turning on my email option is too much of a coincidence.

Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
--Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)

Comments

• IowaShooterIowaShooter Member Posts: 51 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I publish a site called IowaShooter and I receive about 2-3 viruses a week through the various e-mail links on the site.
    Whoever is doing it isn't very sophisticated because the viruses are easily detected and destroyed.
    I was suspicious at first that it may be anti-gunners, but I keep receiving the same attempts over and over again.
    That leads me to believe it is some 14-year-old kid with some free e-mail harvesting software. They all want to be Morpheus. Go figure.
    As long as you have Norton, you're in good shape. Just get the updates whenever they come available.

BRL
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lately I've been getting Parasites. Norton won't catch these because they are not viruses.

The difference between a Virus and a Parasite is a Virus will hurt your Data. A Parasite will force you to use their "browser" or "homepage."

Xupiter is the Parasite du jour right now.

If anybody has this let me know. There are free websites that will destroy it for you.

You can find this also by clicking START, RUN and type in "msconfig" then click startup and see if it is checked off, if it is uncheck it.

sniper1.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just get those letters from Nigeria, Chad and Sierra Leone wanting to invest 18.3 Million dollars with me. The other form of parasite.
  • 96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could it be Ms liPerty and her trolls?

"Save the Whalers, they need jobs too."
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    Rafter
    Norton caught it...thats good.
    Norton may not have deleted it, depending on how you have it set up.
    It could have went into Norton Quarantine. (Look in Anti Virus Reports). If it did you will have to go
    in to it and delete it. You are still protected even with it in quarantine.

Ruger9r
    Xupiter

Removal

Xupiter has no uninstall function. Spybot S&D update 2002-09-22 and Ad-Aware reffile 042-24-09-2002 can remove it, however.

Manual removal

Open the registry (from the Start menu, click Run and enter regedit) and find the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the 'XupiterStartup' entry.

Open a DOS command prompt window (Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands to deregister the toolbar.

cd "%WinDir%\System"
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Xupiter\Updates\XupiterToolbar.dll"
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Xupiter\Updates\XTUpdate.dll"
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Xupiter\Updates\XTSearch.dll"

(If your Program Files folder is something other than 'C:\Program Files' - for example because you have installed on a different drive or you are using a non-English version of Windows, you will have to change the commands accordingly. You may also not need the last line, if you have an older version of the software without the XTSearch.dll file, so do not worry if this command gives an error.)

Restart the computer and you should be able to delete the Xupiter folder in Program Files. You can now restore your home page (Internet Options->General->Home page) and your search settings (Internet Options->Programs->Reset web settings). You can also delete the registry keys HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xupiter and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{A27CFCAE-9351-4D74-BFFC-21EB19693D8C} to clean up if you wish.

a-fireworks2.gif
    HAPPY NEW YEAR
    Grumpy Old Man
    Don't Feed the Trolls
    Life, Liberty, and Pursuit of All Those that Threaten it
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    22WRF;
    Spybot S&D and Ad-Aware are the two free websites I was talking about.
    Bellsouth.net had no idea how to get rid of it, they suggested I take it to somewhere like CompUSA. I already had these two software programs on my computer and didn't know why or how. It was totally by accident that I figured out how to get rid of it (XUPITER).

Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • swnoelswnoel Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got rid of xupiter...but had to do a little more to get rid of this parasite.

You may also have to go to tools on browser/internet options/advanced tab/uncheck enable third party browser....

close browser and restart computer

go to explore program and delete xupiter folder...
  • swnoelswnoel Member Posts: 87 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rugerniner

If you just uncheck it, it reloads itself when you reboot...

I had to give it more poison to get rid of it...
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First of all, let me tell you I am very "limited" with computers. I can do basic operations but never did learned to dive in and clean up files, restore data, and things that seem simple to others.

Right now, my computer is working perfectly and I'm reluctant to start messing with it--I live way out in the boonies and getting someone to come "fix it" would be monumental. I did go in and look at Norton's quarantine file. There are about 10 items there with dates from nearly 2 years ago.

In a week or so, my buddy, who is a wizard in things like this, is coming over. I'll let him do his magic and clean up whatever is necessary to keep me going. In the meantime, I'll praise the Lord I have Norton and it's up to date.

Thanks for your input.

Respectfully,
    Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,401 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is becomming more and more of a problem. Wouldn't you just love to meet guys that do this while out having a few beers with your buds!

cbxjeffIt's too late for me, save yourself.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.