In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Just came from NYC

Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
edited January 2003 in General Discussion
My goodness y'all shoulda seen the traffic!

I almost took the family with me last night thinking that after I unloaded the truck in Brooklyn we coulda went across the bridge into Manhatten and watched the New Years show at Times Square, sure glad I didn't do that.

Anybody here ever been to Times Square on New Years?

If you need a gun larger than a .243 to kill a deer, you need to give up
redneck1314@pennswoods.net

Comments

• Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was sitting here thinking of the cultural difference between all those people...millions of them shoulder-to-shoulder in Times Square...and me way out here in the boondocks where my closest neighbor is over 1 mile away.

In Times Square they are listening to all that racket, and I'm listening to the coyotes yapping back and forth across the pasture. They are nearly all stone drunk...or maybe just stoned, and I'm sipping a cup of coffee. Heck, I don't even have TV out here to watch that mess (priase the Lord).

But, like they say, to each his own.

Rafter-S

"What is truth? No wonder jesting Pilate turned away. The truth, it has a thousand faces -- show only one of them, and the whole truth flies away! But how to show the whole? That is the question."
    --Thomas Wolfe, "You Can't Go Home Again" (1934)
  • capecodcapecod Member Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rafter-S, I envy you. Sounds like Paradise to me!
    Happy New Year
    John

John in PA
    jmknaut@juno.com
  • Josey1Josey1 Member Posts: 9,598 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the Times square visitor are from the boondocks of the USA seeking the excitemnet that only a Times Square New Year can afford. NY city is more like Disneyland today with the majority of its' crowds being tourists. It truly is a once in a lifetime experience that everyone should be lucky enough to enjoy at least one time.

Myself have been to Times square many times for New Years as I was raised in upstate NY and while I enjoy my peace and quiet now,I would not trade the experience of a Times Square New Years for anything. NY city is one of the most incredible and romantic cities in the world and while I don't agree with the cities politics,I can't help but look with amazement of this wonderful city our fathers built by hand, rivet by rivet. I have many ties to NY city,I was engaged to my wife of 26 years on the observation deck of the Empire state building and my wife went into labor with our first child at the 21 club.

Today my days of NYC life are long gone as I no longer make NY my primary rsidence, but I still find the time every year to take my wife to NY city for dinner and a Broadway show(This year was "The Producers"). I guess old habits die hard and thank God for that.

"If cowardly and dishonorable men sometimes shoot unarmed men with army pistols or guns, the evil must be prevented by the penitentiary and gallows, and not by a general deprivation of a constitutional privilege." - Arkansas Supreme Court, 1878
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The parts of NYC I see are most likely not the parts others see, I get to go to the ghetto. I have always wanted to go to TS for New Years but have been hesitant. One of these years I'll go. I will agree that NYC is an interesting city and I have yet to be in downtown Manhatten but from the sounds of it I may want to go. Aint nuttin like a backwoods hick in the city eh?

If you need a gun larger than a .243 to kill a deer, you need to give up
    redneck1314@pennswoods.net