In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

CCW states categories

cpilericpileri Member Posts: 447 ✭✭✭
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
Sirs and Ma'ams:I have been compiling a list of states and breaking them down into the following groups: 1. No CCW2. CCW but never issue3. CCW and Shall Issue4. No restrictionsI hear there are 33 CCW states, but I only have 31 on my list. Please proofread my lists, and let me know if one state or another belongs in another classification. Please be certain of your answers (knowing the laws change rapidly).Sincerely,Carlcnvpileri@outdrs.netHere's the list:No CCW:Illinois, Kansas,Missouri, Nebraska, New Mexico, Ohio, and Wisconsin. (and Washington,D.C.)Have CCW but never issue:Alabama,California,ColoradoConnecticutDelawareHawaii,Iowa,Maryland,MassachusettsMinnesota,New JerseyNew York (esp. NYC)Puerto Rico,Rhode Island Have CCW and Shall Issue:AlaskaArizonaArkansasFloridaGeorgiaIdahoIndianaKentuckyLouisianaMaineMichiganMississippiMontanaNevadaNew HampshireNorth Carolina North DakotaOklahomaOregonPennsylvaniaSouth CarolinaSouth DakotaTennesseeTexasUtah VirginiaWashingtonWest Virginia WyomingNo Restrictions: Vermont

Comments

• BigTexBigTex Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.packing.org Regards,BigTex
  • twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Iowa does issue but they are restricted as to when you can carry. There are two counties that WILL NOT issue because it is up to the discretion of the sheriff and they just are _____. Other counties may issue to people who do not live in that county as long as the sheriffs agree and teach the same material.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NRA has a complete list of these states and their issue restrictions. The same list cross references as to what states honor each others CCW's. Might save you a little time and effort.Mudge
  • beantolebeantole Member Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    New Mexico has "shall issue" CCW now but counties can opt out. The midwest is largely ruined and liberal, forget CCW there for the most part.
  • YODAYODA Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    CALIFORNIA, TOOK ONLY TWO DAYS TO GET MINE,ONLY BAD THING IS I CAN ONLY PUT THREE PISTOLS ON MY CCW.
    WARNING MINES BIGGER & HOLDS MORE AMMO
  • opentopopentop Member Posts: 143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yoda - How'd you manage that? Are you an actor, politian, former LEO or big Republican donator and live in Orange County? No offense intended, just wondering how you managed to get a CCW in Kalifornia.
    edited November -1
    Sorry, that's "polititian" not "politian".
    edited November -1
    Yoda - I owe you an apology. I see from your last reply in the "Boycott California" thread that you live in the "more free" end of the state. You are fortunate you live in a county where the Sheriff's Office thinks more logically. Down here in hell (SoCal), it seems that only hypocritical, liberal actors, politicians, and contributing friends of the Orange County Sheriff are able to carry. Where as us law abiding, middle income, work-a-day people, who live in LA County, would probably go to jail if we were to use a gun to defend ourselves.
  • SXSMANSXSMAN Member Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    TWINS--What counties are they and what county are you in? I'm in Woodbury.As for NY...well...that's not quite true. I got a CCW in a year and it had nothing to do with my profession. My permit to carry concealed on a military installation had no bearing on my application process for the county where I resided. The judge in the county where I lived actually looked even more favorably upon NRA members when reviewing applications and you had to list "personal protection" on the justification line and that worked just fine. It just took about 6 months to process because they run your fingerprints processed by the FBI and the state of NY.
  • davem3davem3 Member Posts: 75 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Alabama is a "shall issue" state and on Aug.1st, law changed to Ala. will recognize any state's permit that reciprocates.
  • twinstwins Member Posts: 647 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    idsman75, I think, (read pulling at straws, from my as my wife says, piss poor memory) that one of the counties was Jefferson. I can't remember the other one. The next time I see the sheriff, I will ask him. I have heard that some counties are "you have to know the right people or forget it" counties. I don't know much about the western part of the state though.
  • YODAYODA Member Posts: 10 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    OPENTOPTHE YEAR 2000 REPORT PUT OUT BY OUR SHERIFFSHOWS A HAIR OVER 56,000 PERMITS OUT OF THE COUNTY OFFICE, NEARLY 22,000 WERE ISSUED TO FOLKS LIVING IN THE S.F AND L.A AREAS, TO CORRECT MY PREV. POST IT WAS TWO WEEKS NOT TWO DAYS. FYI IF YOU CAN SHOW PROF OF TRAINING AND PROVE YOUR A CA. RES. YOU HAVE ABOUT A 90% CHANCE OF GETTING A CCW FROM OUR OFFICE, YOU WILL HAVE TO MAKE THE TRIP UP BUT I WILL BET IT WILL BE WORTH IT.
    WARNING MINES BIGGER & HOLDS MORE AMMO
  • Evil ATFEvil ATF Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I never understood why counties were able to "opt out" of CCW laws passed by the state.As State law cannot supercede Federal law, I thought City law could not supercede State law?