In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Oil closed today at $94.53 a barrel

beneteaubeneteau Member Posts: 8,553 ✭✭✭
edited November 2007 in General Discussion
Will be over a $100.00 before long.

Oil crisis in early 1970's----37 years ago and our government has done nothing in those 37 years to make us less dependent on foreign oil.

Great leaders we've had in 37 years.[:D][:D][:D][:D]
0M9InwN.gif[

Comments

• TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Dems are punishing Big Oil like they promised.
  • RockatanskyRockatansky Member Posts: 11,175
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beneteau

Great leaders we've had in 37 years.[:D][:D][:D][:D]

Who's to blame?
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    If it were not for the availability of foreign crude oil the boys at Exxon-Mobil would be charging $150 per barrel. Imagine how happy they'd be knowing that comsumers put their American foot down demanding an end to the importation of that nasty oil from the Middle East (evil Muslims), Mexico (evil illegals), Venezuela (evil Chavez), Canada (evil liberal anti gun government) and Nigeria (you KNOW those folks are evil and according to a recent Gun Broker post they are stupid as well!). We should be proud to pay whatever price a trusted US based company like Exxon wants to charge and damn the world market.
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    everybody should go and buy a Moped.....
  • bandit44bandit44 Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Who is to blame....Folks that don't want drilling or a production platform in their area. Cali coast, Florida coast, up the east coast, Alaska.

The Big oil companies are much more responsible then 20 years ago. They know public opinion can and will sway the vote when wanting to drill in these places.

All companies can mess up. We (you & I) can mess up. We must learn from that goof what not to do again.

We (the people) must allow the drilling in our backyard.

bandit44
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    What happened to the fools who claim we invaded Iraq because we wanted the oil? I believed them and figured oil would be free by now!
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    And tomorrow I sign a lease for mineral rights on our familys property.Can`t wait for them to start puchin holes in the ground[:D[:)][:D]
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Oil crisis in early 1970's----37 years ago and our government has done nothing in those 37 years to make us less independent on foreign oil.

Actually we are less independent!

Did you mean "less dependent"?
  • rcrxmike_2rcrxmike_2 Member Posts: 3,275
    edited November -1
    blame it on pricks like me and the ol'lady....the ones that charge $90 an hour for a 5340 barrel water truck.......

(Please keep driving really big suv's, and make sure that your tires are under inflated, and you sprint away from every redlight.....(we got kids that are gonna go to college.... :) )

sorry...had to!
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    wull, don't come crying to me to grow you some corn for ethanol....the bad mouthing of us farmers here makes me sick[:(]
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    All the 'finger pointing' is humorous.

Bottom line is Gas companies are trying for the BIG GOLD RING -
    $5 a Gal. .... and they won't quit until they get it.

As long as it doesn't interfere with TV ... Americans really are too
    fat and too lazy to care.
    [:D]
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad

That would work, except in certain states, it's too cold, and the roads are too slippery half the year to operate them.
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    quote:Originally posted by HandLoad

That would work, except in certain states, it's too cold, and the roads are too slippery half the year to operate them.

Which is why we have to expend limited crude oil stocks on heating oil for those states. Real Americans would wear long-johns and a sweater in order to free us from imported oil.
  • collector14collector14 Member Posts: 97 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone seen an increase at the pump this week? It seems like they are slower to hike the prices this time.
  • NeilTheBritNeilTheBrit Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bandit44
    Who is to blame....Folks that don't want drilling or a production platform in their area. Cali coast, Florida coast, up the east coast, Alaska.

The Big oil companies are much more responsible then 20 years ago. They know public opinion can and will sway the vote when wanting to drill in these places.

All companies can mess up. We (you & I) can mess up. We must learn from that goof what not to do again.

We (the people) must allow the drilling in our backyard.

bandit44

You don't honestly think that will bring prices down do you?.
    The days of cheap oil are gone forever.
  • NeilTheBritNeilTheBrit Member Posts: 390 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Will be over a $100.00 before long.

Oil crisis in early 1970's----37 years ago and our government has done nothing in those 37 years to make us less dependent on foreign oil.

And the public has done even less, they still insist on driving 8MPG Chevy Subdivisions.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In 2005, the price of a barrel was averaging around $50.
    The price of gas in January that year, was around $1.90.
    In 2006, the barrel costs went up to around $65 or so.
    The cost of gas went over $3.00 a gallon.

Now a barrel is almost $100 and the gas is below $3.00.
    Hmmmmmmmmm.........
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    LOL ... give it few weeks. When the current 'stock' is consumed ... you'll see some
    pretty fancy pricing.
  • nordnord Member Posts: 6,106
    edited November -1
    For all the finger pointing, there's a balance here...

First, there's the pain. This pain is very real and strikes all of us. In a way it's just payback for what we've ignored for too long. Not any one person's fault. Not any one corporations fault. Certainly not the government's fault because the folks we elect can't even balance their own checkbook. More a collective fault of a society which has chosen to disregard some obvious facts in trade for short-term satisfaction.

But, I think there's a silver lining once we move beyond the current crisis. And we will move beyond it.

As the price of oil moves upward, the economics of energy recovery on our own soil become more and more favorable. This in direct contrast to countries now depleting their resources. In other words, once the present oil-producing nations (Arab states) run dry, the US and some other lucky nations will become net energy producers for the world... If we so desire.

Energy prices? A tough pill, but we'll get through it. Once through, then we'll begin to pay ourselves for energy. Why shouldn't Cowdoc be allowed to make some good money for once? High prices will begin to balance throughout the economy once dollars come back to our own pockets. Maybe not a bad thing.

In the short term I expect to see increased domestic recovery of previously untouched energy reserves. Higher prices will cause old fields to be re-opened. Sand-tar will become viable and we have lots of it waiting for us. Coal can be gasified and refined. I expect it will be.

The bottom line being that we're not running out of energy. Rather, we're running out of cheap energy. But, by running out of worldwide cheap energy, we've set ourselves up to supply the world with more expensive energy... And the flow of money will come back to us!

I look at it this way...

Our dollar has fallen to an all-time low. Bad if one wishes to buy a foreign product. Bad because it takes more dollars to purchase foreign oil. Bad in the short term because every product based on energy will increase in cost. Bad because increased costs affect everyone. Worse because it will affect those with the least the most.

Good because domestic products will become more attractive on foreign markets. Good because we'll invest more in ourselves. Good because we'll soon find ways to increase our domestic energy production. Good because necessity really is the mother of invention.

The events we're witnessing today aren't gloom and doom. They're the beginning steps which will allow us to move into a much better future. Many of us will see the current situation as a glass mostly empty. Others will see this as an opportunity to fill the glass.

It will be the latter. Our past history says so. We always somehow pull ourselves out of impossible situations at the very last moment and blunder onward. I doubt our behavior will change in this respect.

Oh... This will be a rough ride for a while. Sort of like what we experienced on Dec. 7, 1941, but different.
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warpig883
    What happened to the fools who claim we invaded Iraq because we wanted the oil? I believed them and figured oil would be free by now!

You do know Dick Cheney wouldn't give you free oil if you were his mother right??