In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

oldemagics

phillipphillip Member Posts: 2,948
edited November 2007 in General Discussion

Comments

• phillipphillip Member Posts: 2,948
    edited November -1
    Keith Are You Ok I get No Emails Returned.[:I]
    Woody
    edited November -1
    K You getting My Last Emails Recently OK
    Woody[^]
    edited November -1
    Keep an eye on your mailbox, should be a package arriving soon.Sorry it took forever. I just found the local post office about a week ago.[;)]
    edited November -1
    Keith, The grips will go out today to the seller contact info from the other side.

Lance
    edited November -1
    I can't remember, so forgive me if I'm wrong, but are you the member that makes custom pistol grips?

I know I spoke with someone about making a set of left-hand target grips for my dad's S&W 22A, and I was going to send the factory grips for use as a pattern.

I have the factory grips from my dad in my car, and I just need to touch base to make sure everything gets squared away.

Edit to add: Email sent.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Do you have any experience making grips for the EAA Witness/CZ-75? If you do, I'd like to talk a little business.
    edited November -1
    I think I have a few ready to send now [:D]

20120923213302.jpg

got to thinking about what dennisnielsen had said about turning on the light and getting up at 2am
    so I just used the outside light that comes on at night Ill be damned if I did not find there hunting grounds [B)]
    caught over 20 last night [xx(]
    edited November -1
    I have a bunch of extra drill bits and taps that are metric would you have any use for them. Also if there is any thing that you could use for your shop that i might have let me know. I have lots and lots of extra tools. From files to de burring tools, drill bits, taps you name it. Think about anything you might need and let me know. If you want anything let me know on this page to check my email because most of my emails end up in the trash bin for some reason and i dont look in that hardly ever.
    edited November -1
    How's that new system working? You up and going now? Happy New Year!
    edited November -1
    Hey, my laptop is messed up and idk how to send pics on this phone, but here's a few quick shots of the ruger

360a65bd.jpg
    4273db59.jpg
    3f5e84d1.jpg
    8d0ad013.jpg
    918c3e43.jpg
    935a39d6.jpg
    edited November -1
    Five years ago, when we built our addition, we removed a black Walnut tree. I had the contractor leave three or four feet of trunk and take that with the root ball out of the ground in a chunk. The idea was that it might make some decent stock blanks.

I didn't seal the top of the trunk and it's been in the contractor's yard since.

Should I even try to salvage what's left?

Now, I do have some 3 to 3-1/2 foot chunks of the rest of the tree (about 20 inches across) that did get sealed with wax. The bark was left on. How long before they've cured?

Any info you can give me could be greatly appreciated.
    edited November -1
    Can you use one of these?

img102_2287.jpg]

[102_2286.jpg/img]

Its Beau D' Arc

Interested in a trade????
    edited November -1
    Check your email.

10x100
    edited November -1
    Got an email addy? Need to get ahold of you.
    edited November -1
    Have you ever worked with ironwood? I have a 1x4 about 4 feet long that I bet weighs 10 pounds. If you put ironwood in water it sinks. Obviously it is a very hard wood, and is pretty dark in color and heavy grained. Let me know if it would be worth messing with or if you have already tried it.
    edited November -1
    You were the winner in Kabar giveaway
    edited November -1
    You have mail $$$$$$$$$$$$$ Thanks, Barbwired
    edited November -1
    Keith, I don't know if you remember, but I was the one that ordered the 1911 grips with the "Don't Tread on Me" pins. The ones you had so much trouble with because of the large size. Everybody I show them to wants to buy them. If I come accross a smaller pin, would you be game. Do you have anymore poison ivy wood. They looked great.
  • reloader44magreloader44mag Member Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by phillip
    Can you use one of these?
    img102_2287.jpg]

[102_2286.jpg/img]

Its Beau D' Arc

Interested in a trade????
    heck I can see both of them[;)]
    edited November -1
    When I sawed them this evening the saw dust was a deep yellow, Similar to a yield sign.It was preaty cool.
    edited November -1
    BTW, Dad tells me its french for bow(sp)of the arc.Indians made their bows from this tree.Its some really hard stuff.
  • oldemagicsoldemagics Member Posts: 5,821 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it werent for shipping i would be makeing arangements with you already, but i think the freight would kill me!
    what wood is it and how hard?
    send an e- if you want,
    oldemagics@hotmail.com
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    Hard to tell w/the moss, but it looks to me like "long-leaf" pine.By the bark.
    I don't think it's Hickory..
  • divebombdivebomb Member Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i thought bows were made from yew
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    I thought so as well, but, ain't those logs too thick to be YEW?
    Had an ANCIENT one in our yard in Jersey, as a kid. The biggest stump was maybe 8" across.
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's Bois de Arc; sometimes referred to as Osage orange I believe. The heart of the tree is a yellow color and is hard as steel. It was used for fence posts because the heart would last for ever. It is also true that Indians along the Red River made bows from Bois de Arc trees because the wood was strong and flexible.

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    It's Bois de Arc; sometimes referred to as Osage orange I believe. The heart of the tree is a yellow color and is hard as steel. It was used for fence posts because the heart would last for ever. It is also true that Indians along the Red River made bows from Bois de Arc trees because the wood was strong and flexible.

That sounds like what he told me
    edited November -1
    I interested in having my FAL compliance furniture made from this.How long would it have to dry out before you could work it?
  • divebombdivebomb Member Posts: 1,161 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know Osage is great wood!!
    just didnt know it made good bows, but then im a carpenter, not a bow smith.
    I deffinatly would not use it for a fence post..[8D]
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    ah phillip, the osage orange tree, if your gonna use it peel the bark from it and stand it on end in the corner of your garage or basement for 1 year. i have made self bows from this and they were both reliable and stout, especially when backed with sinew. beautiful wood[;)][8D]
    edited November -1
    The tree that this came from is OLD.At the base its at least 4 or 4 1/2 feet in Diameter
    edited November -1
    I interested in having my FAL compliance furniture made from this.How long would it have to dry out before you could work it?

for most wood figure about a year before it is done shrinking and dry enough to work.
    if you are interested in doing something with it have someone slab it out to about 2 1/2"-3" planks and place spacers between the slabs to allow air to circulate between them...will help reduce splitting as it drys like a full log will
    then keep it covered, either under roof or a plastic canvas loosely over it to keep rain/snow etc off
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by oldemagics

for most wood figure about a year before it is done shrinking and dry enough to work.
    if you are interested in doing something with it have someone slab it out to about 2 1/2"-3" planks and place spacers between the slabs to allow air to circulate between them...will help reduce splitting as it drys like a full log will
    then keep it covered, either under roof or a plastic canvas loosely over it to keep rain/snow etc off

[;)]Done
    edited November -1
    What IF I could gain access to a Kiln?Could I put it in with other wood or is the dry time specific for a given type of wood?
    edited November -1
    What IF I could gain access to a Kiln?Could I put it in with other wood or is the dry time specific for a given type of wood?

for that ? you would need to talk to someone who works a kiln, never was that privileged
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I have several Bois D'Arc trees on my place, and have to trim them regularly. So...if any of you really want a pickup load or trailer load of it, say so and I will pile it and save it for you. Normally, I just pile it and burn it, next year. It doesn't burn well when green.

Bois D'Arc trees suck.