In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Jury awards father $11M in funeral case

tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
edited November 2007 in General Discussion
BALTIMORE - A grieving father won a nearly $11 million verdict Wednesday against a fundamentalist Kansas church that pickets military funerals out of a belief that the war in Iraq is a punishment for the nation's tolerance of homosexuality.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071031/ap_on_re_us/funeral_protests

Comments

• TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope it's just a start of things to come for that group of scum. Now if some liberal judge doesn't throw it out.
  • phillipphillip Member Posts: 2,948
    edited November -1
  • modtodd82modtodd82 Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lets hope that this sets a trend for these SCUMBAGS!!!!, sooner or later some distraught parent is going to take the law into their own hands,.............and I dont think anyone who is a parent would feel too sorry for them.
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    What would happen if a group of Veterans went after a church?[B)]
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    What would happen if a group of Veterans went after a church?[B)]
    [:D][:D][:D]
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    finally the tide has turned, at least on paper....i imagine any assets will disappear & no real $$ will be paid....but the door has opened, now all should follow...the real solution is to disbar all involved with this bunch that have a law license...this will stop their lawsuit financing capability & put them on the legal level as their victims....can't imagine even the wacko ACLU would help them out then
  • KimbercoltKimbercolt Member Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how about the judge that tried to sue for millions over a lost pair of pants, he lost his job, he needs to vacate now.
    any judge that cant understand the reason he lost needs to lose his job.
  • 180A180A Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kimbercolt
    how about the judge that tried to sue for millions over a lost pair of pants, he lost his job, he needs to vacate now.
    any judge that cant understand the reason he lost needs to lose his job.

Heard about that, too --- along with this verdict against that "church" it made my day!
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Outstanding! That's the only way to really hurt that collection of bottom feeders. They will never cough up a nickel, but keep the judgments coming.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope he collects.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Their tax exempt/break (non-profit) status should be revoked. [:(!]
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So if it's a verdict you agree with, a liberal judge will throw it out. If it's a verdict you disagree with, a liberal judge was an activist?

From someone who deals with this stuff daily, let me give you the REAL eqaution:

Liberal judge: Plaintiff has a shot of winning.
    Conservative judge: Plaintiff doesn't have a fart's chance of winning.
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read about U.S. District Judge Richard Bennett......damn.....fine American.

Good job soldier....errr.....Judge.[:D]
  • Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what I have heard the Phelps clan is a bunch of inbreds and the entire church is made up of "family" members.

They probably dont have a pot to piss in , but the father of that dead soldier should take their pot and anything else they have, including all the cars they use to drive to these funerals.

I would take possession of their "church", if they have one, and burn it to the ground while sponsoring a hot dog and marshmellow roast for the closest military base.
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great news. To bad he will never receive and real money from these wack jobs. The WBC is total scum.[:(!]

Trinity +++
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I am soooo happy to hear this!

I live in Topeka and see these scumbags picketing all the time. It's about time they got what's coming to them. I sincerely hope that this will bankrupt the cult. Unfortunately i think the father might have a hard time collecting.
  • Da-TankDa-Tank Member Posts: 4,074
    edited November -1
    Myself and some people I know would collect for the father.
    15% of all we collect, no collect no cost.

Any of you guys want in?[}:)]
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Da-Tank,

I'll take o%, it would be fun just to get in on the dog pile of these idiots.[}:)]

Trinity +++
  • BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The reports are they are worth about 1,000,000 bucks. I hope he gets every dime. The tried to get people to attack them (like the PGR) but it didn't work. Their plans was to sue a city, county or state if such an event occured. Looks like it back fired. [:D][:D]