In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

#5 project progressing

modtodd82modtodd82 Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
edited November 2007 in General Discussion
Just wanted to post a picture of my #5 now that i'm all done with the finish work. I hope to be able to assemble it this weekend. If i'm really lucky, maybe I'll get to the range and run a few shots through it. Though it was kind of fun to completely re-do it............man, was it ever a lot of work. This was my first restoration, and learning about parkerizing, and wood finishing, etc................(whew..). I'll be glad when i hear it go bang again
3035c.jpg

Comments

• phillipphillip Member Posts: 2,948
    edited November -1
    Looks real nice,Hope it shoots as good as it looks.Be sure to keep us posted[^][^][8D]
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    I think there's a part missing..[;)]

Congrats on a job that looks well done.[:)]
  • modtodd82modtodd82 Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    now let me see........ i think this part goes here........or was it that part goes here??????,hmmm.....Maybe my wife remembers how it goes together??[:D]
  • big mangobig mango Member Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    YOU DIDN'T KEEP A BEFORE YOU STARTED PICTURE OF THIS DID YOU.???
    edited November -1
    Of the gun itself?? I should have a few
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    looks good.
    What was your park method?
    edited November -1
    Parked everything in pans on the kitchen stove(usually waited till my wife went to bed [:D]) - She'd ask me in the morning why the kitchen was so clean, I told her "cause i love ya Honey!!" she'd say you were woring on that darn gun in my kitchen again werent you???....... though she didnt complain much about any smell while i was parkerizing parts. I guess it wasnt too bad. But when i was doing the furniture.....not that was a different story. I used manganeze oxide, tap water(my well water is soft), Strip-eze Prep & Etch(from Lowes) and steel wool. It seemed to take a while, most parts were in around 30 min. (i would dunk the parts for 10 min and then scrub with an old tooth brush while submersed in warm water) and then put back into the park bath. After i got the color that i liked i sprayed the parts with AMSOIL HD-MP (heavy duty metal protector) Its a spray that when it dries(about 10 min) it turns into a wax like coating that is waterproof and a 100% synthetic lube.
  • needmygunsneedmyguns Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    very nice looking good job
    edited November -1
    Oh man , I went to put it together last night and.........., lhe last thing i went to install, the brand new flash hider(old one was bubba'ed) and the cutout for the dovetail of the front sight blade was WAY too big.........i guess that will go back. What a bummer, i was hopeing to shoot it this weekend[V]
    edited November -1
    I few new pictures of the gun assembled, minus the flash hider and sight. I called Numricks today and all of their flash hiders have the sight dovetail cut to .020" larger than the original.......so i ordered a new sight blade and all the sight blades are size .060. I guess there isnt a lot i can do since the original flash hider had the sight ears and the bayonet lug cut off. But all in all I'm pretty happy with it.

110207c.jpg

110207b.jpg

110207a.jpg
  • needmygunsneedmyguns Member Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you done a great job,looks very nice
    edited November -1
    I think i'm going to shoot it today, i may not hit what im aiming at(no flash hider/front sight) but i "NEED" to hear her speak to me[8D]