In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Painting my rifle in camo.

ryans63ryans63 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
edited November 2007 in General Discussion
I want to paint my gun to a desert camo, how do I do it? I mean I know how to paint very well with a lot of experience but I want the finish to be very durable, I mean it would be very hard to damage the paint so it lasts a long time and stands up well. Any tips? Do I have to do anything special to the surface? Besides cleaning it with alcohol. Also it has a synthetic stock so I am worried I won't get the paint to stick very well.

Comments

• Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    www.duracoat-firearm-finishes.com
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    http://www.lauerweaponry.com/duracoatcolors.cfm?colortype=pattern&Category=240

Read the FAQ's there too.

I have used the Durabake on a set of rings and it worked well. I am getting ready to refinish a Mossberg 500 with the normal spray on.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    You really lower the value of a weapon by painting it. Not everyone wants to have to strip it off to see blue metal. The cami tape is easy to use and is less troublesome to remove.
    If you really want to hide in the bushes, break up the outline with strips of burlap wrapped around the barrel. An empty toilet paper tube around the objective lens of your scope will also knock out the reflected glare of the glass.
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    I've used testors Model paints on 3 of my SKSs so far, and the finish is amazing; I've got a "snow" camo, a "desert" camo, and an "urban" camo. It took about an hour to get decent coverage all over, and if I screw up; a little MPro-7 on a Q-tip removes it quickly.
    Best of all, it can be re-done for almost $2!
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you do go the cheap spray paint route, make sure to allow 24 hours for each coat to cure to proper hardness before handling. It will appear dry after 20 minutes but it won't be hard.
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    You really lower the value of a weapon by painting it. Not everyone wants to have to strip it off to see blue metal.

+1

A good compromise, in my opinion, is removable paint. I've never painted a firearm, but I have painted paintball guns. It was pretty easy, and the finish has held up well.

HPIM0040.jpg
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    I have one that i camo'd with spray paint, and just sprayed some satin finish poly over it that has held up real well.
  • bgjohnbgjohn Member Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Me too. I just used el cheapo spray paint. If it scratches or wears off just spray over it.
    JM[8D]
  • ryans63ryans63 Member Posts: 64 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gunnut505
    I've used testors Model paints on 3 of my SKSs so far, and the finish is amazing; I've got a "snow" camo, a "desert" camo, and an "urban" camo. It took about an hour to get decent coverage all over, and if I screw up; a little MPro-7 on a Q-tip removes it quickly.
    Best of all, it can be re-done for almost $2!

Do you do any work on synthetic stocks? Have any pictures?
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rack Ops

HPIM0040.jpg

I think that finish really adds value to an affordable gun. Nice Work!
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DO NOT use barbecue paint on a firearm. Bore Cleaner wipes it right off.

Krylon works just fine.

Borecleaner doesn't wipe it off.