In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SKS's

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
I have a Chinese SKS up on auction. I have had several buyers ask me if it was on the C&R list. I have told them I didn't think so but if they could prove other wise I would send it to them. No one has emailed me back.

The current person asking says ALL SKS's are on the C&R list now but last I had heard only the Yugo's were. I have emailed him back asking for proof but I thought I would check here too.

Anyone know what SKS's are C&R?

Comments

• Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Norinco wasn't.
  • bobinwisbobinwis Member Posts: 361 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If a firearm has reached its '50th' birthday today or prior, it is considered a 'C&R'. BATF modernized their definition some time ago and it got rid of all the special lists that covered firearms by individual serial number. Would guess the Yugo's and Norinco's are not that old as a group yet so .......... That's the way I understand it.

Regards, Bob
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    I know the Yugo has been on the list since last year and there was some reason why but I do not remember. I don't think it was the 50yr rule as we are not quite there yet. I know all the wholesalers are kicking them out to C&R holders, but not the other SKS's.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have 2 Yugos and an Albanian & all are C/R.
    The Albanian is even a 1978 model.
    I have NEVER seen an SKS for sale from a dealer that was not C/R.
    [8D]barto[8D]
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Just talked to a local dealer. He said last he had heard the Chinese are not on the C&R yet.
  • Marc1301Marc1301 Member Posts: 31,897 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yugos, and Albanians are for sure.
    I believe your dealer is correct on the Chinese,........it is non C&R.
    "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life down here." - William Shatner
  • MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    The SKS rifles are not on a C&R list due to its age or design but there have been a few added due to historical battles which make them collectable. Norincos are not on the list.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up a Chinese SKS barreled receiver in a trade a while back.
    Wonder if it has any value?
    [?]barto[?]
  • 0321jarhead0321jarhead Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Yugo and an Albanian(1978). I also have a C&R license. BUT, if you live in the wonderful state of GUN CONTROL like me,your C&R license is not recognized for an SKS.[V]
  • hk-91hk-91 Member Posts: 10,050
    edited November -1
    i have seen alot of them on gb auctions that claimed they were c&r but as far as i know there not.
  • 1776-19761776-1976 Member Posts: 284 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    All SKS's in original configuration EXCEPT the chinese are C&R. Any modified SKS is no longer a C&R.
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was told that the type of firearm needed to be out of production for a specified time. So a Russian SKS, which the Russians have not produced for a long time, would qualify (production time wise) to be a curio and relic. The Chinese on the other hand have been cranking out SKSs by the cargo container load recently (and would now if a buyer with enough money came along) so Chinese SKSs are neither a curio or relic.
  • 0321jarhead0321jarhead Member Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SECTION II:Firearms Classified as Curios or Relics Under 18 U.S.C. Chapter 44 ROMANIAN Model 56 semiautomatic carbine (sks),caliber 7.62x39 in original configuration as manufactured at Uzina Mechanica Cugir,Romania from 1956 through 1962,having original Romanian serial numbers consisting of two letters followed by up to four digits. The right side of the receiver is also marked with the year of production and the manufacturer's trademark consisting of an unfletched arrow within a triangle. RUSSIAN (U.S.S.R.),Simonov,semiautomatic rifle,model SKS,cal. 7.62x39,of Soviet manufactur. This info is out of the "Firearms Curios and Relics List by our friends at B.A.T.F.E.[8D]