In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

More Venison in the Freezer PICS

William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
Shot this button buck at 7:10 this a.m....Three of them came running right at me and would have run right into my blind if I had not shot.
I was sorry to discover this was a button buck, I thought it was a doe or I would not have shot it...but more good eating anyway. The other shots are around the land that I hunt. The guy walking out is my 20 year old son. He missed one today, so the old man is up two on him....[:D]

He has to work tomorrow, so hopefully he can get out on Sunday with my other son.

100_0986.jpg

100_0991.jpg

100_0994.jpg

Comments

• JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Give GRD a call he will be right over to gut it for ya
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "870" STRIKES AGAIN!!!
    Good work.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was one of the strangest encounters I have ever had. Three of them just kept coming and the one I shot was only 10-12 feet away when I fired. I was amazed my blind hid me well enough to have them come so close.
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrads on your Deer and it should taste great this winter[:D][:D][^]GRD did you check out this Deer[}:)][}:)][}:)]
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Congrats!

At the deer club I hunted with this year in Arkansas one of the younger hunters came in with a small deer and was filling out a doe tag while we hoisted it up for skinning. I casually asked him if he had noticed the genitalia protruding from this little deer as well as the two little bumps starting to come through the hair on top of its head.[:D] He assumed it was a doe when he took the shot and was somewhat embarrassed that he had not checked out the obvious after he shot it.[:I] Also, he didn't like the fact that he now had to fill out one of his two buck tags. We were sorry to see that it was a button buck, but sure got a kick out of kidding him![}:)]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Dakota308Dakota308 Member Posts: 4,162
    edited November -1
    this a quite the reoccuring theme this year

first GRD, then me, and now you all button bucks.

its all tenderloin baby[:D]
  • Dakota308Dakota308 Member Posts: 4,162
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Congrats!

At the deer club I hunted with this year in Arkansas one of the younger hunters came in with a small deer and was filling out a doe tag while we hoisted it up for skinning. I casually asked him if he had noticed the genitalia protruding from this little deer as well as the two little bumps starting to come through the hair on top of its head.[:D] He assumed it was a doe when he took the shot and was somewhat embarrassed that he had not checked out the obvious after he shot it.[:I] Also, he didn't like the fact that he now had to fill out one of his two buck tags. We were sorry to see that it was a button buck, but sure got a kick out of kidding him![}:)]

waht state are you in. in KY a button buck is considerd a doe
  • Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dakota308
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    Congrats!

waht state are you in. in KY a button buck is considerd a doeThis was in Arkansas. Button bucks are legal because does are legal and it is hard to tell one from the other at a distance, but if you take one it will cost you a buck tag.

Here's what the Arkansas Hunting Regulations say about it "Button bucks and young male deer with antlers shorter than two inches long count as bucks. Button bucks are male fawns and often their antlers have not broken the skin. The term "nubbin buck" is used by some hunters".

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• SW 357MagSW 357Mag Member Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in WV any buck with 3" spikes or smaller are checked in as a doe.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In Illinois, you have Antler or Antlerless permits. A buck with antlers less than 3" in lenght is considered an antlerless deer.