In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Fog Lights

mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
edited December 2007 in General Discussion
What is the deal with people who keep the fog lights on their cars on ALL THE TIME?

Does it make ya cool or something?

Comments

• Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

Does it make ya cool or something?

I reckon so.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    driving with lights on all the time does increase visibility...

as to why just the fogs, dunno. probably doing it for the cool factor, not safety.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    No, I meant whenever they have their headlines on they are burning the fogs also.

Down here a lot of yahoos blind you right off the road with them foggy or not.

I wish them harm in weaker moments.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When they used to work, I had them on all the time at night. I could see into side ditches better with them on then night. The lights on my truck are just not that bright.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14
    When they used to work, I had them on all the time at night. I could see into side ditches better with them on then night. The lights on my truck are just not that bright.

Oh, so you're the one. [:D]

I can see better with my high beams on. Perhaps that is the answer...
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you would not like to meet me .....i have xeon head lights in my pickup...they burn through fog and snow like you cant believe ...when conditions are right they make the snow look blue[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cowdoc
    you would not like to meet me .....i have xeon head lights in my pickup...they burn through fog and snow like you cant believe ...when conditions are right they make the snow look blue[:D]

Xeon are the lights on the more expensive vehicles produced today. Those don't blind me like these damn fogs...

And actually, I would like to meet you.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Romance flowers.

Actually, keeping the fog lights on keeps the fog away...and the elephants.

Doug
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    Romance flowers.

Actually, keeping the fog lights on keeps the fog away...and the elephants.

Doug

I knew there had to be a logical reason...

[:X]
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
    I WAS convinced that most of them got the car from the dealer with them on, and can't find the switch to turn 'em off.

I've linked my low beams to my Highs, so that when I have my Highs on, so are the lows. I guess I'll have to keep the fogs on too, if there might be Elephants!!

Hmmm, now what about the Driving Lights?
    edited November -1
    If you get driving lights, get the ones where, if you close your eyes, you can still see.

I've been using that linking trick for quite awhile.

It makes a big difference.

Doug
    edited November -1
    I also made a diode network so that if I honked the horn, those Miscreants could tell it was me - they all come on!!
    edited November -1
    I don't honk horns.

Doug
  • 180A180A Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maybe they're trying to scare off the zombies .....
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    When I had my Explorer, I ran with the low beams and the fogs on at night because it lit the road better than with the hi beams.
  • CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How can fog lamps blind you? Are you talking about driving lamps? The aftermarket lights that people put on trucks?

Maybe the aftermarket fog lamps that people install.

Certainly not factory installed fog lamps? I've never been blinded by them.

I leave mine on while I'm driving. In the truck, when it is not dark, but low light. Heavy clouds, light rain, etc, I will run with parking lights/fogs, because they are less blinding than the regular headlights.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cubs, foglamps blind you because most of the time they are aimed wrong,up.It also looks like many new vehichles the fogs go on when the hibeams are dimmed.
  • guns-n-painthorsesguns-n-painthorses Member Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We always have the factory installed fog lamps on while driving at night. You can see the road ditch much better and we have never hit a deer yet. The aftermarket lights may be the ones you are talking about.

Got Guns?
  • TooBigTooBig Member Posts: 28,560 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's the idiots that drive with them on in the day time or sometimes at night that are out of focus and hit you in the face. I need all the light I can get at night but know how to dim and the fog lights adjusted.[:D][:D][:D][}:)]
  • tobefreetobefree Member Posts: 7,401
    edited November -1
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Many of the newer cars that have the extra driving lights have no way of shutting them off except by turning on the high beams!

On a side note: In all reality only the yellow lights are truely fog lights! The clear lights are marketed as driving lights!
  • cce1302cce1302 Member Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tobefree
    froglight.jpg

+1
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    This is why I hook up spotlights on my car. Not the little wimpy ones that go atop a light bar, but I mean the big, huge spotlights that shopping centers and car dealerships use to attract people from miles away.

I see some yahoo running his fog lights or brights at me for no reason and oh-my-gosh you should see what happens when you crank on 350-billion candlepower at him, you can see straight through the metal and glass of his car, his skin and his brains.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Inconsiderate folks, do it just cause it irritates others.
    edited November -1
    It is almost enough lights when their hair starts to smoke while you're both at a stoplight, and the paint on their trunk starts to bubble..

If your alternator starts to smoke, you need a bigger alternator.

If you have to use a lower gear when all your lights are on, you might have gone too far.
  • cheezecheeze Member Posts: 815 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In AZ you can get ticketed for driving with your fog/driving lights on when there is oncoming traffic. They consider it the same as driving around with your high beams on. My brother got pulled over on his way to Why. Why you ask? Why, Arizona. The Chevron sells good burritos. The Chevron in Why that is, not in Sells.
  • grdad45grdad45 Member Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "On another note, for the idiots that tail gate with their hi-beams/fog lights on, I've become very good at aiming my power mirrors so they get blinded by their own lights. It takes some practice, but when you get it right it really blinds them"

Had an idiot try to get me to pull over one night last week when I did that to him. He REALLY didn't want me to, but thought he did.[;)] His POS KIA suv couldn't keep up with the wife's Jaguar, though.
    If I hadn't had my wife and Grandson in the car, I might have accomodated him.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fog lights whether yellow or clear are supposed to be aimed low, and are designed to fan out the light over a wide, ditch to ditch area. Being low and low intensity the light does not reflect back from the water droplets that constitute fog directly into the drivesrs eyes like highbeams will in fog. If properly aimed they should not blind. If they are not properly aimed, you are free to open fire.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shoff14

+1

Mine are burned out though...and have been for quite some time.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    I had four lights that were claimed to be aircraft landing lights that i used on vaious vehicles. They would light things up like daytime.[8D]

I never could get the electric/charging system beefed up enough to run all four though, and if you just flicked the switch on, they would kill the motor instantly..but start right back up when switching them off.

They were great for teaching people that they should've dimmed their lights when warned.[:D]
  • Flyin_PaulieFlyin_Paulie Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My cure for the persistant tailgater is to run the windshield washers until they smarten-up and back off. [:D]
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you say....brake check?[}:)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spryor
    I had four lights that were claimed to be aircraft landing lights that i used on vaious vehicles. They would light things up like daytime.[8D]

I never could get the electric/charging system beefed up enough to run all four though, and if you just flicked the switch on, they would kill the motor instantly..but start right back up when switching them off.

They were great for teaching people that they should've dimmed their lights when warned.[:D]

I'd like to get a couple of those...