In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sending Ammo Through The Mail

ironjohn929ironjohn929 Member Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
Anybody know anything about sending ammo through the mail. I have a givaway, but don't know how I would get it to the person who won it.

"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they've made a difference...The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan

Comments

• hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    I have receved ammo and the seller used (brown)ups ground
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's illegal to send ammo through USPS. Does anybody remember who I was supposed to send the 30-30 shells to? I've had the box here since Christmas.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    you can mail BRASS, no live rounds.. UPS told me I couldnt ship ammo from their office here, I told them it was antique, OK no problem.. Go figure...

yo-yo.gif
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ironjohn - my standard C&P reply on the topic:

Unless state or local regulations / laws specify otherwise, you may ship ammo within the continental US w/o an FFL (don't need it for AK or HI, but see below) to another party who does not have an FFL. Be aware that some jurisdictions have stringent restrictions on the types & calibers of ammo which may be received (particularly military surplus loadings); check with the ATF website to determine if this foolish PC nonsense applies to you or the recipient. Also be aware that MA requires you have a copy of the recipient's FOID - possibly IL as well. Live ammo may *only* be shipped by common carrier (i.e.: UPS, FedEx) by *ground* transport (unless you invest in expensive Hazmat training with the carriers). No 'hazmat' penalties apply; however, the container must be marked on one side "Small Arms Ammunition Cartridges ORM-D" (short for "Other Regulated Material - class D"). Technically, this verbiage must be outlined by a line box at least .250" larger than the verbiage. For years, I just marked my boxes with marker, but then I ran into a real * set of hoplophobic types at the local UPS termninal who sent back all my boxes, opened, because the labels were not *exactly* as specified by regulations. It is illegal to ship by USPS (Postal regs, Pub 52, Section 341.21c). Be aware that both of the common carriers apparently give the terminal managers and drivers wide latitude in accepting / rejecting packages, so a UPS location in your area may refuse to accept a package while FedEx will, or vice versa. If you are frustrated by the locals, a call to the national customer service center with a request for them to contact the local terminal will usually - but not always - resolve the problem. Cost varies by weight, distance and recipient. In reference to the latter, there are surcharges for residential deliveries and deliveries to 'rural' zip codes. You can determine the charges in advance by accessing the carriers' websites and entering the zipcodes, weight, insured value, dimensions, etc. These charges are front-end loaded, so shipping a ten pound package will often cost less than twice the charges on a one pound package. On small items, cost typically runs $6 to $11. FedEx Ground is usually cheaper than UPS, but their drivers have much more difficulty with rural addresses. OTOH, FedEx seems to have far less political problems with ammo and similar material.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the french." (Mark Twain)
  • Shadow83Shadow83 Member Posts: 171 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I bought 880 rounds of 7.62x54R from AIM Surplus and it came UPS. No special markings or extra cost. But it was in the Ukranian Mil wood crate and sealed in a tin box.

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Take it from Klintoon, "don't ask, don't tell".[;)][:)]

topcat1.jpg Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by interstatepawnllc
    Take it from Klintoon, "don't ask, don't tell".[;)][:)]

topcat1.jpg Don't "F" with kitty!! unamerican.gif

+1

Regards,
    gadsden.jpg
  • CyclonusCyclonus Member Posts: 2,825
    edited November -1
    man that sucks i have to send 600 rnds of 44 mag ammo in the mail then how am i gonna do it and what is it gonna cost me?

Revenge is a double edged sword that only kills its wielder
    edited November -1
    I did some checking since I need to send some ammo ahead because USA3000 Airlines does not have their permit to carry weapens or ammo in the baggage. It is TOTALLY illegal to send any ammo or explosives USPS. UPS and FedEx WILL transport it ground. I didn't check on Airborn Express or DHL. When I bought the 800 rounds of 7.62x54R the shipping only cost me $20 which isn't too bad considering the weight.

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government
  • 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have had ammo came on many occasions through ups (***ground shipment only***) . The package was marked ORMD or small arms ammunition. But I think you will be safe sending ammo through the mail if is not through the air. You can specify that when you ship it out.

Use pleanty of bubble wrap. [8D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 65gto389
    But I think you will be safe sending ammo through the mail if is not through the air. You can specify that when you ship it out.NO ammunition or explosives can be sent via United States Postal Service in any way, shape or form. In this day of Homeland Insecurity Kangaroo Courts, I wouldn't want to be the one to test this. One could find themselves on an extended vacation with a beautiful view of the Cuban countryside.

Shadow83
    Love My Country,
    Fear My Government