In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

spelling and typing..... Forum gripe

bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
I have noticed the tendency of a group of forum members to criticize the keyboard and spelling skills of some other members. It seems that God gave us all some special talents, some are better at spelling and typing, some at mathematics and working with tools. To the spelling and keyboard gifted, you should be thankful for the gift you have. However, it is demeaning to you to constantly point out errors in spelling or syntax made by fellow forum members. Without the poor spellers in this forum your well written posts would remain largely unread. As long as you can understand the meaning of the post it seems superfluous to the conversation and mean spirited to point out these errors in the manner they are done.

As one forum member so eloquently states in his tag line; "bad spellers of the world untie." (AMEN BROTHER!)

Just my opinion. Let the critics begin.

Comments

• LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    You should've inserted a hyphen between "mean" and "spirited." [:D]

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Please re-write the last sentence. Very poor structure. Did you graduate high school?

Just kiddin'!

[:p]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep a dictionary on my computer desk. Helps me to catch most errors.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • MN HunterMN Hunter Member Posts: 2,299 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    eye allwayz trie twooo due meye best.

sorie

[:D]

"Not many like us, in fact very few, and most of them are dead" LtCol Pratt - USMC
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    From one illiterate to another...I second that Amen!

Eric

All American Arms Company

www.galleryofguns.com
    VIP Code: AAAC

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Your sentences are really long and run together.
    Bet that outline/flowsheet helped get it all down, though. [;)]
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I write and edit for a living and I'm capable of much better, writing, organization, syntax and spelling but I don't edit my posts on this forum or even slow down enough to avoid typos, mispell, fractured sentences etc. For me the most appropriate style for this fourm is stream of conciousness, with all the mistakes, miscues and misplaced commas that entails.
  • ghotie_thumperghotie_thumper Member Posts: 1,561 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's an old saying that goes something like, "if you can't attack the facts, attack the provider of the facts". I don't care if'n u kin spell gud r not, juz * da poin across.

Common Sense is an Uncommon Virtue.
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guilty as charged, but only when I see gross abuses of the language. I am a two finger typist and keep a dictionary on the desk. Sometimes, by the time I get a post finished, it's gone way off topic. Sometimes, I ain't got no use for none of those unneeded, unnecessary spellin' rules. Does a quadruple negative equal a positive ??? [:o)]

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese.
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]ju jun knuts krak me upe[}:)]

I'm only wearing Black untill they make something darker
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hughbetcha
    I write and edit for a living and I'm capable of much better, writing, organization, syntax and spelling but I don't edit my posts on this forum or even slow down enough to avoid typos, mispell, fractured sentences etc. For me the most appropriate style for this fourm is stream of conciousness, with all the mistakes, miscues and misplaced commas that entails.

That's what I've been tryin' to tell ya! [;)]
  • danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm the worst at typing, but I build REALLY NICE RIFLES.
    Does that count for anything ???
    Dan
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I is a colege graduate!!! [8D][8D][8D]

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
    Sigmund Freud, "General Introduction to Psychoanalysis".
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    I have noticed the tendency of a group of forum members to criticize the keyboard and spelling skills of some other members. It seems that God gave us all some special talents, some are better at spelling and typing, some at mathematics and working with tools. To the spelling and keyboard gifted, you should be thankful for the gift you have. However, it is demeaning to you to constantly point out errors in spelling or syntax made by fellow forum members. Without the poor spellers in this forum your well written posts would remain largely unread. As long as you can understand the meaning of the post it seems superfluous to the conversation and mean spirited to point out these errors in the manner they are done.

So by your line of reasoning, we should overlook your obvious lack of feminine hygiene because you can match colors and have washboard abs?
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My screen just got a Coors shower, DWS. She an old girlfriend or something?

Clouder..
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Read your posting guidelines... NO bellyaching allowed.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you are really concerned about your spelling and typos and don't want to use ATF's spell checker, you can use your word processor with spell checker and do a C&P to the forum. [;)]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Francly, I don't give a dam [:D]

sniper.gif
    NRA Life Endowment Member

Soquel.gif
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    once again dws's hyperbolic reasoning has lifted the minions of mirth to the limits of the observable universe, at least by the presumptive application of current string theory's definition of time & space
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...good spelling is not a "gift"....it was earned through discipline and hard work in grade school.
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what the h e double 'l' did SPASMCREEK just say!!!?????[:D]

A dikshunerry on ur komputer desc?? ehll,I can t evin see the top uf my kumptor deks.!!

Throckmorton SASS #23149
  • knucklehead14knucklehead14 Member Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IT`S TIME TO UNTIE!

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it specifically says that only 5 star posters can complain.[:D]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • RamtinxxlRamtinxxl Member Posts: 9,480
    edited November -1
    I just spoke to your "Queen" and he said, "Chill, Bruce!" [;)]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by knucklehead14
    IT`S TIME TO UNTIE!

Bad spellers of the world

"UNTIE!"

yup.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by danlittle
    I'm the worst at typing, but I build REALLY NICE RIFLES.
    Does that count for anything ???
    Dan

That is way more important than spelling and typing...[:D]
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm not so sure we should go so easy on folks.
    After all, isn't it hypocritical of so many to take such a relaxed position and at the same time complain about the state of education in the U.S.?
    I'm not saying folks should be slammed every hour on the hour, but how about taking some time to make sure you type a somewhat intelligible sentence?
    Besides, if there are any anti-second amendment folks lurking on here looking to do us harm, why should be we give them free ammo by coming across as a bunch of illiterates?
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just use spell check. afterall, spell check is hear two stay!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mpolans
    I'm not so sure we should go so easy on folks.
    After all, isn't it hypocritical of so many to take such a relaxed position and at the same time complain about the state of education in the U.S.?
    I'm not saying folks should be slammed every hour on the hour, but how about taking some time to make sure you type a somewhat intelligible sentence?
    Besides, if there are any anti-second amendment folks lurking on here looking to do us harm, why should be we give them free ammo by coming across as a bunch of illiterates?

Well said, sir. Or rather, well written--valid points made. Salute. [^][:)][^]

I find www.m-w.com to be helpful...you can even put a link on your "toolbar" for convenience...or highlight a word in your post and hit the control key and the toolbar icon and PRESTO--instant literacy!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bobski
    just use spell check. afterall, spell check is hear two stay!

[:D] [:D] [:D]
  • wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    I've witnessed arguments and any number of disagreements that have erupted after miscommunications/misunderstandings that were based on poor spelling, grammar and I suppose lazinness on the part of an author . I think a person should at least make an effort to clearly and effectively express themselves, it makes things sooooooooooo much easier!
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    It's a sad sign of the times when people cannot even be bothered to type, spell, or punctuate correctly.

Typos are fine - we all make mistakes.

However, horrendous run-on sentence, lack of punctuation, lack of proper grammar, and lack of capitalization (to name but a few items) point to a lack of pride in one's self and one's native language.

It is downright pathetic that we're even having this discussion - there was a time when people were told to "smarten up." Excuses were not made for their lack of skill in the English language.

Call me a language fascist if you must, but do it right or not at all. Don't insult my intelligence and show off your lack of by mashing your words together like they were the ingredients to a mud pie.
    edited November -1
    BRAVO, EMM, again we are in complete agreement. Is it April 1st where you are yet? [;)]
  • CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ElMuertoMonkey
    Itasadsignofthetimewhen.peoplecannotevenb. bothered to type speilorpunctuaitecorrect

Typo am fine - we all makmitakes.

However whorr---endous run-on sentencz lackof punctuation,^#&(^&! lack off propper grammar, and lacek of capitalizashun e
    in ones''' self and blantantly naive language skulls sew two speeke.

It is downright pattic that we're evenCall me a lanage fascist if you mut, but do it rite ornot atall. off yur lack of by mhing yur wrds to a mudie.

I agree?

[;)]

[:o)]

If your beliefs aren't based in fact, TRUTH is the first casualty...
    penguins.gif
  • MRBEANMRBEAN Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The store called and ran out of cheese for all your whining. Some of you are coming across as arrogant s.o.b's. The rest, I agree with. As long as the point gets across, AND is understood, what's the harm? I must disagree with rembrandt. I inhereted my "gift" from my mom and she has her Abe Lincoln piggy bank to prove it. Yes, I obviously make an effort at writing proper grammar, as well as, spelling. However, I do believe bad spelling and poor grammar is where most of our ebonics come from. Bottom line, I'm not going to fret over my replies' correctness in a damn gun forum. P.S. I kicked butt on nearly every paper I've ever written. One more thing, I have caught even you so-called experts in error so get down from your horses!
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MRBEAN
    The store called and ran out of cheese for all your whining. Some of you are coming across as arrogant s.o.b's. The rest, I agree with. As long as the point gets across, AND is understood, what's the harm? I must disagree with rembrandt. I inhereted my "gift" from my mom and she has her Abe Lincoln piggy bank to prove it. Yes, I obviously make an effort at writing proper grammar, as well as, spelling. However, I do believe bad spelling and poor grammar is where most of our ebonics come from. Bottom line, I'm not going to fret over my replies' correctness in a damn gun forum. P.S. I kicked butt on nearly every paper I've ever written. One more thing, I have caught even you so-called experts in error so get down from your horses!

Did you inherit it or learn it? [;)]
    edited November -1
    Them testosterone patches is working out for ya, huh, MRBEAN?

Typos are one thing...not caring/bothering to communicate within the norms/standards of communicating is another.

BTW, congrats on your "kick-*" papers...Civics and English II can be real challenges, huh? [:o)]
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Crittergitter,

Me am hapy that us aggree.[:D]
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    I blame it all on my phonics teacher. Really. That and I did not learn to type until I was out of college.

Typing skills and good grammar are great things to have, but I have learned more about life from people who barely speak English much less have high writing or typing skills than I have from English professors.[^]

"Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for." -- Will Rogers

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the english teachers i had all through school, there wasnt a one that wasnt as dumb as a post. how the hell you suppost to learn from a post LOL [:D] besides i hated school with the exception of math and science, done very well in them subjects.