In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Form 4 ?

NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
I live in the county and the sheriff refuses to sign form 4's. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do?

John

Comments

• ZERODINZERODIN Member Posts: 6,338
    edited November -1
    This might belong on the Sugar Bear thread, but ...

I shot the sheriff, but I didn't shoot the deputy.
  • ArmaliteA4ArmaliteA4 Member Posts: 489 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Supposedly, You can go over his head and get a judge to sign it.

I would ask your cl. 3 dealer for the particulars.

Good luck.

You may take the most gallant sailor,the most intrepid airman,or the most audacious soldier,put them together at a table.
    What do you get?
    The sum of their fears
    -Winston Churchhill

As Marines, our message to our foes has essentially always been the same, "We own this side of the street! Threaten my country or our allies and we will come over to your side of the street, burn your hut down, then whisper in your ear, "Can you hear me now?"..... And then secure your heartbeat.
    A Marine
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yeah...What Armalite said. If your class III dealer is doing any business, he's got to know how to get it done. After all, 'til he gets the paperwork, he hasn't got a sale.

Mudge the helpful

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!<BR>
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    You have a few alternatives.
    The DA, County Judge, District Judge, Federal Judge, or State Highway Patrol can sign off.

Or rent a really CHEAP apartment in a adjoing county that will sign off. Rent the apartment for a 3 month period as a minimum. Let them sign off.

Last ditch effort is to incorporate as a LLC, set up as a 01FFL, then apply for a class 03 ffl. This is the expensive way to bypass sign off's. Whole deal takes about a year & will cost you around $2,000 to
    complete.
    Then you never have to get a sign off again, until you give up your 03 dealers lic. Then the weapons has to signed off to transfer to yourself.

Even better go for a 07 & SOT, then you can make or buy anything you little heart desires, except DD's. Cost around $3,000-$4,000.
    But then your allowed post samples that go for about a 10th of the current cost of a transferable. When the 07 SOT is given up, all post samples must be given to LEO agency's, to the military or destroyed.

A 07 SOT is the way to really go if you can afford the outlay of cash for the yearly renewal.
    Walte
  • MooseyardMooseyard Member Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A manufacturers license is cheaper than a dealers license, so I don't know where you came up with your numbers Iamaclone? You do NOT need to become a dealer to be able to bypass the CLEO signature. You can simply become a corporation. You can also use State police, or your attorney general to sign off. In some states it has to be the local CLEO. Check with a local class III dealer, they should be able to help, or check with your accountant about starting a corporation.

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
    edited November -1
    Moosey - That is why I said around on the amounts for the differant types.
    But I also figured in the cost of setting up a LLC and compliance requirements.

By the way Moose, which one has to file with the State Dept. and pay their $500 tax a 02, 07 or is it just the SOT?

Thanks
    Walte Just a dumb butt form4 holder,,,thats bad enough for me.
    edited November -1
    The SOT is a Special Occupational Tax which can be paid by either a dealer or a manufacture. If a 01 Dealer pays his $500 SOT he is a Class 3 dealer. If a 07 Manufacturer pays his SOT he becomes a Class 2 manufacturer. The SOT allows regular dealers or manufacturers to deal in NFA firearms. I also owe you an apology, because there is a provision for Manufactures who manufacturer less than $250,000(?) a year so that they have a reduced SOT which is $500. If a large manufacturer(over $250,000) wants an SOT, then I think it is $2000. You were right as far as large manufactures go. Does this clear anything up, or did I make it worse?

"My faith, my country and my family will guide me; nothing more, nothing less" -Gen. Tommy Franks

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
    edited November -1
    Was not aware to the $500 SOT!
    Humm, this gets the gears turning, big time!!
    Sounds like a 02 $500 SOT would be perfect for me.
    Will check into it this weekend with my 02 SOT buddies.
    Main problem is to find a cheap location & the security.
    Maybe I could rent the Boss's/Co's owner storm/tornado shelter!
    Perfect only one way in & out & underground!
    Thanks
    Walte
    edited November -1
    I've been considering getting my Class 2 license. The biggest problems are going to be getting zoning and I guess you also need to check with the EPA so that they can make sure you are disposing of waste properly. I wish I would have gotten my manufacturers license instead of my dealers license.[:(]

Jess Hoffman
    Mooseyard Precision
    LE Supply & Firearms
    NRA Certified Instructor
    Shawano, WI 54166
  • NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Hey thanks for the help guys. I will go back and chat with the dealer. His big suggestion is that I do the LLC but that sounds like alot of trouble. I live in the only county in the area that has this problem.

John