In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Shotgun selective trigger?

IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
edited February 2006 in General Discussion
I dont know crap about single trigger side by side / OU shotguns.

Selective trigger double barrelled shotguns, how do they work, to wit:

You have a single trigger and the selector switch, usually at the back of the reciver.

In most models can you shoot both barrels with a single pull, or is it a single shot, depending on the selector postion?
Thanks
Walte

Comments

• dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Single shot, it just determines which barrel (choke) is fired first.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    Are you saying the so-called selector at the rear of the reciver is a safety and not a barrell selector?
    And that reguardless both barrells cant be shot at the same time, from a single trigger pull?
    edited November -1
    On my Ruger Red Labels the lever can be moved right or left to select top or bottom barrel, and forward and back to select safe or fire. Regardless of selection, only one barrel can be fired at a time (single pull of the trigger). Second pull, second barrel.
    edited November -1
    Bummer.
    Thanks
    Walte
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yep, single shot, period (you want BOTH barrels to fire at once on that 12 bore?). I can select safe or fire, and which barrel fires first.
    edited November -1
    Thanks HeDog
    Walte
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of trigger systems, progressive and inerita(sp).
    The selector has 3 positions, safe, over, under. Depending on which (of the second 2 positions) is selected, the first trigger pull will fire the selected barrel. The second pull will fire the other one.
    On a progressive system, you can dry fire both barrels with 2 consective pulls.
    On a inerita system, the first pull will fire the selected barrel, but the "kick" from the firing shell sets it to fire the second barrel (you can test this on a empty gun by slapping the buttpad with your palm). Incase of a misfire, the inerita system can be made to fire the second barrel by simply sliding the selector to safe and than back to fire (dosn't matter if you change barrels when you do this).
    edited November -1
    If you really want to fire both barrels at the same time, get one of the older s/s with external hammers and twin triggers. Just make sure the barrels are made for modern ammunition and are not damascus twist type of units. I think you'll find you really don't want to do this though.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Walte
    If you WANT both barrels to fire with a single trigger pull, get a older Weatherby Orian and shoot it a bunch. All those POS's would start doubling due to "wizz" poor heat treating of the sears, and Weatherby's warrenty dept's basic response was "you bought the POS, why should we care if it broke" (any one want to guess how many Weatherby's I own now?)
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    A Single trigger- Double barrel (over under /side x side) has to have a selector switch. sometimes its on the trigger and sometimes its on the safety. (double trigger guns dont need a switch, you choose which barrel to fire first by the trigger). All the switch does is allow you to fire lower or uppper barrel first. Most will tell you that the lower barrel should be the more open choke and be fired first. but this is why pure shotgunners always use a double barrel, to allow for different chokes in each barrel. The down side of a double is that you only have 2 shots, the upside is you have 2 different chokes and.....a way cooler gun![8D] Both barrels are NOT put there to fire at the same time!!! Unless your just a glutten for punishment,.
    edited November -1
    "Glutten for punishment" thats me!
    [;)]
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My sxs has one trigger and no selection capability. It just fires the more open choked barrel first and the full choke barrel for the second shot. For most applications that is great. I find two triggers to be worse than nothing. And I'm not sure that I would use the selection capability very often. In the thick of the hunt, I sure wouldn't have time to think about which barrel to shoot first. And 99.5% of the time it would be in the order that it does on its own! Works for dummies like me![:D]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My HK has the selector in the center of the saftey. The safety does not point left or right. Safety only goes back and forth. It can be moved quickly pending what choke you need.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by andersk
    My sxs has one trigger and no selection capability. It just fires the more open choked barrel first and the full choke barrel for the second shot. For most applications that is great. I find two triggers to be worse than nothing. And I'm not sure that I would use the selection capability very often. In the thick of the hunt, I sure wouldn't have time to think about which barrel to shoot first. And 99.5% of the time it would be in the order that it does on its own! Works for dummies like me![:D]

I use a over under to turkey hunt. sometimes I will fire the tightest choke first. or wait til he gets a little closer and give him a Mod. choke..Too tight of a choke on a close bird = A Miss...or a bird with no head[:0] ..........[:)]