In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Military Heroes?

TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
edited September 2001 in General Discussion
An ongoing thread got me to thinking about all of the wannabe military heroes running around. I while back I read a news article about the exploits of our local VFW post commander. He was reported to be a former Special Forces Command Sergeant Major who had been awarded multiple Purple Hearts, Silver Stars, Bronze Stars, etc. during VN. He even had a fake 214 for flash. After reading his interview, I couldn't believe these folks were buying the load this obvious phony was shoveling them. He was very shortly exposed as a fraud whose military career consisted of serving as a clerk.I also saw recently where a historian who won a Pulitzer this year has also been exposed for fabricating his tales as a 101st ABN platoon leader in VN. That's great, a historian who his own history.People pulling the fake "disturbed VN vet" crap when they screw up were also once a common thing. I had one pull this in court as his defense after committing a felony assault against me. He turned out to be a cook in the Navy who never even heard a shot fired in anger. He got 10 yrs.I'm no hero either, but it really twists me when people pull this kind of crap. This is the ultimate in disrespect.Has anyone else had any experience with this particular breed of worm? If you suspect someone is playing this game, they can easily be checked out for the cost of a stamp.

Comments

• RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe there are strict laws for impersonating a police officer, why couldn't the same be done for these counterfiets....it's the least we could do in memory of those that served or didn't come home....
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the first Battalion that I was assigned to, there was a female medic who wore jump wings. The battalion commander asked her how many jumps she had and she gave some outrageous number. He started asking her questions and then told her that he was a Battalion commander at Fort Bragg, NC (home of the 82nd Airborne Division) and she was claiming to have more jumps than she had and she was just an E-4. Needless to say, she got fried for wearing wings that she didn't earn.
  • Walt NunleyWalt Nunley Member Posts: 228 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Happens to me all the time.Guys love to run down the road and talk about whatr kind of badass they used to be.One guy i knew claimed to everyone he was a SEAL but didnt know what two stars over an anchor was (Master Chief) Most of the time when they figure out that they are talking to someone who really has been there and done that they seem to get out of radio range really fast ha ha
    Submarine Sailor,Truck Driver,and very bad typist.GO RUSTY #2
  • beachmaster73beachmaster73 Member Posts: 3,011 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My first deployment we had an ensign in our battle group who wore the Silver Star Medal, Purple Heart and CAR. He had done an enlisted tour prior to college as a Personnelman(PN). In the Subic O'Club he was regaling us JO's with his exploits when a Marine major stopped and asked him a few questions about the action in which he had participated. The major said no more and left. The next day he was off his ship and vaporized from the Navy. Apparantly the major had been there and recognized the wrong times and dates as a BS factor. He contacted the ensigns C.O. and POOF!! the bad guy got vaporized. Sometimes the good guys do get to win. Beach
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    Then there are people like my dad ,who were awarded bronze stars,and never told a soul,we never knew till 13 years after he died.He never spoke of war,nor would he ever be caught wearin one of those uniforms after the war.He was a loaner,never wanted to be a leader,and sure as hell wasn`t a follower.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's been my experience that most vets who have been in the thick of the crap rarely, if ever talk about it, and if they do, usually only to family and close friends. It's very easy to read a bunch of books, and impersonate a vet, especially on the internet. Just my opinion, and I was never a hero, or a vet.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My father was in submarines during WWII. Never talked about what he did. He died without ever telling/"bragging" about it. We found out recently that he was on one of the subs that smuggled coast watchers and guerillas and such out of Australia to Jap held areas. If you have to tell people what a "hero" you were...you probably weren't.
  • legn4legn4 Member Posts: 481 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mudge i know what you mean.My dad was on a LCI and I don't know much else.
    Work'n like a dog all nite
  • varmit huntervarmit hunter Member Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    MudgeMy dad never talked about it either.He was given tree months to live, Because of cancer.he managed to hang on for five years.His last year he mentioned he would like to have his medals.We thought it was the medication talking.My mother wrote the Navy,in a very short time we were amased at the number of decorations that arived.He never told anyone about them,And after they came in he never told us why he how he got them.We buried him with the medals.We are losing these type of men at the rate of 1500 a day.If anyone out there in in this group,you have my undying thanks for for what you did for us and all the genrations to come.GOD BLESS YOU.
    A unarmed man is a subject.A armed man is a citizen.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Every hero I know do not believe they are a hero. I was once told that a hero is an ordinary person put in very extra ordinary situations and does the right thing.
  • R WallerR Waller Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you guys are absolutely right. I have found that this is true for almost all aspects of life, not just the military. I think that people who actually deserve respect rarely speak about their accolades. Why would an honorable person need to brag about his accomplishments? He would already know that he had done his best and there would be no reason to flaunt it. Remember that the next time you hear some * talking about how good he is at xxxxx, or how much he did in xxxxxx.My $0.02.
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of the closest friendships that has developed in my military experience has been with a person who has been in extraordinary circumstances but he comes across as a very ordinary person. There are experiences that he didn't mention for over a year. He knows who he is and he frequents this board but he doesn't post much. I just like his mother's blackberry cobblah!
  • 218Beekeep218Beekeep Member Posts: 3,033
    edited November -1
    I heard mention of that cobblah before.
    Will the last reb to leave flarda,please bring the flag?