In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WSM Cartriges

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited December 2001 in General Discussion
I see that the thread has been locked out on this subject over in the "Ask the Experts" forums. I don't have any experience with these cartriges but, from general consensus over there, it seems that the difference in performance is marginal. Some seem to feel that this is a short-lived fad. What, in your opinion, is the most current "fad" that you predict will die the quickest? I went to the local sporting goods store (Scheel's) in order to spend a gift certificate today and was hard-pressed to find any rifles there chambered in .300 Win Mag. I had to sort through all of the .300 WSM's in order to find one or two. Have any of you non-dealer-type people found this to be the case in your area?

Comments

• Options
    AntiqueDrAntiqueDr Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only advantage to the short mags is that they can be chambered in short action rifles. Ostensibly, you can get .300 Win Mag performance out of a short action compact rifle.Remington will be chambering their Model 7 rifles for their version of the short magnums and they will sell all they can make for the first couple of years.As for the most rapidly disappearing fad, my entry is the Winchester 9410.Expect niche items like the Browning BLR and the Savage Super Striker to jump on the bandwagon.
    We buy, sell and trade quality guns and scopes!Ask us about Shepherd Scopes!Visit our website at www.ApaxEnterprises.com
  • Options
    robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I concur with the 9410. The only thing that could keep it alive is SASS(is that right). I would not say I believe the WSM is going away though, because I believe that it is useful in the smaller calibers, from .270 down, and I look to see the smaller calibers developed in the WSM, but who am I? I am in the process of buying a 454, and I am not so sure it will be with us all that long, I hope it will be, I dont even know if I can handle it, but I am sure I will learn if not able to right away. I do not know about the new 480 Ruger either, I think it may be useful for those wanting more, but not able to handle the 454, however if you cant handle the 454, why not just stick with the .44 mag. its more than enough, for most anyone. It also doesnt have the ability of a dual cartridge gun, as the 454 and 44 mag. do. I can tell you one thing that is going nowhere, havent heard anything about it in a while either, Remingtons electronic gun, it was doomed before it started. We could probably open a whole new thread about this next one, but what about the Ultra Mag line up, I dont have experience with it, but the velocities seem impressive. I'd like to hear more about these from anyone with experience, open a new thread on it if you want to.
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • Options
    edited November -1
    At least 9410 owners will not be left with a gun for which they can't purchase factory ammo.
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The WSM cartridges have several real advantages over the long bleted magnums.- The DO fit in a short action.- They require less powder to achieve the same velocity (efficiency and frugality for the handloader).- A short, fat cartridge burns the powder column more efficiently and tends to be more accurate (individual examples do not apply - look at what bench rest shooters use!)In practicality, shooting a long action requires that you move your face when cycling the bolt. Most good shooters can cycle the bolt on a short action without having to move their head and then get lined up again, This translates to a faster follow up shot where needed. Also a short action is easier to mount many scope on. There is no need for offset rings.Besides, why carry a gun thta's longer (i.e. heavier) than you need? If you want a long gun, put the length into the barrel where it will do you the most good, instead of in the receiver where it's wasted.======================================BTW, robsguns,What do you mean the .44 mag isn't a dual cartridge gun like the .454? Let's list the cartridges that CAN be used in a .44 mag revolver: .44 magnum, .44 special, .44 Russian, .44 American, .44 Short Colt. I love .45s, but as for number of cartridges, it comes up short.[This message has been edited by luger01 (edited 12-31-2001).]
  • Options
    the loveable rat...the loveable rat... Member Posts: 969 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i've been looking into this myself and conclude-"why wouldn't you want a lighter, tigher action and more accurate round?" the fad, i think, is the UM phase...though really i don't know that much about it- but i like it....
  • Options
    7mm_ultra_mag_is_king7mm_ultra_mag_is_king Member Posts: 676 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    @d when I spend $ and time to get something that dont do what I want it to do . I have another friend that is having a .300 short mag built simply because of the advertised performance and going into a short action. He believes long actions are useless. I cant wait till he gets it and lets play with the dies for him.
    when all else fails........................
  • Options
    instrumentofwarinstrumentofwar Member Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    correct me if i'm wrong, but the new short mag's that "big green" is marketing, aren't they called short-ultra-mags? the most recent issue of american rifleman had a piece on the .300's(fast,faster,fastest), and they didn't say much about the remington's. what i was wondering was the performance of the s.u.m.'s supposed to equal that of the pegassus from lazzeroni or just a fancy name for their version of the WSM?
    freindly fire is never freindly
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Luger01 -You might want to go back and re-read Robsgun's post. He was talking about the .480 Ruger not being a dual cartridge gun.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    instrumentofwar!!!Greetings to you in Kosovo. The article's ballistic charts explored the .300 Win.Mag, Wby. Mag and Rem. Ultra Mag. The article also discussed the .300 Winchester Short Magnum (WSM) as well as various other fast-movers. It discusses, in a mere 2 sentences, that Remington rebutted Winchesters WSM's with the .300 Rem. Short Action Ultra Mag (SAUM) but doesn't really touch it in the article after that. G&A just went out the window and into the garbage. Gun Tests and American Rifleman are my two firearm magazines of choice now.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    .280 freak, thanks, you got my back. luger01, I sometimes read things and get them mixed up too, dont sweat it though, cause you brought up some good points I wasnt aware of. I now have to research a couple of those calibers you talked about for the 44 mag. and see whats up with them, I'd never thought about shooting those in a 44, I never even heard of the 44 Short Colt. I imagine shooting them wont be good for the pocket book, or else I'd have to reload them, ah well, gives me something to check into, the wifes gotta work New Years Eve, so now I have something to study. Thanks again .280freak.
  • Options
    .280 freak.280 freak Member Posts: 1,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, no problem, Sarge. I know how easy it is to get slightly the wrong take on what another has posted. Figured to cut off any potential misunderstanding before it could start.Happy to get your (or any other member's) back.Oh, and Happy New Year to you and everyone else here; just realized I hadn't said that in any thread yet!
  • Options
    luger01luger01 Member Posts: 230 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Robsguns-Sorry. I had to reread your post twice more before I saw what was plain as day. My fault entirely. I think I need to change the font in my Netscape - it needs to be bigger for my old eyes! (or buy a bigger monitor!).Oh, and by the way, several of the .44 cartridges are being loaded again, thanks to SASS and Cowboy Action shooting. I know Black Hills loads the .44 Russian, and I've read that some smaller ammo companies are loading the .44 American. Starline sells .44 Russian and .44 Colt cases, too.Specs are:.44 mag. = 1.29" long,.44 Special = 1.16" long,.44 Colt = 1.10" long,.44 Russian = 0.97" long,.44 American = (slightly shorter then the Russian round).The .44 Colt has a slightly narrower rim than the others. These can all be shot in a .44 mag. revolver. The .44-40 is a bottlenecked round that should not be used in a .44 mag/special revolver, unless you have a cylinder made for that round (as some Rugers are).Happy New Year to you and everyone here![This message has been edited by luger01 (edited 12-31-2001).]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    luger01,Thanks for the info., if you hadnt read my post wrong, I'd have never learned this, I really am glad you read it wrong, I'm going to check into those rounds for something to do. Happy New Year!! robs