In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Juvenile Probation Officer

ReserveWCSOjrwReserveWCSOjrw Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2006 in General Discussion
I have applied for a Juvenile Probation Officer for the county in which I live. I had a first interview 2 weeks ago and come out of there with flying colors. I got chosen for a second interview. Between the two I spent a day observing in the Juvenile court (which none of my fellow applicants did)from 8am to 5pm. I had my second interview this past Friday, the 27th.

I was curious if anyone knew how long I might have to wait to find out if I got the job. I hate these wating games and I really want to get started if I did get the position. Anyone have any insight???

Comments

• zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I don't know ... but good going!
    It's a tough but rewarding career
    if you are good! Congrats, so
    far!
    BEST1.jpg
  • ReserveWCSOjrwReserveWCSOjrw Member Posts: 633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks Zipper!! I just hate waiting like this. It is KILLING ME!!! I just want a job that pays something. My reserve work is fun, but it is all volunteer!!!! I know it isn't about the money, but I have to make something to pay the bills!!
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been a Probation Officer for the past twenty-two years and am currently a supervisor for both the adult and juvenile divisions of our department.

Your question is hard to answer as every state and even counties within the same state interview and fill positions differently depending on the size of the jurisdiction and how the position is funded. (that was a mouthful)

It depends on who has the final call. I recently interview several individuals for a Juvenile Probation opening. As it was considered a priority opening, I was able to get the final OK to hire an applicant three days after the final interview.

In other situations in the past, we had to wait several weeks for the final call to be made as the State had a hiring freeze on.

What information were you given at the time of the second interview ?
    There should have been some clue or time frame given.

All I can say is hang in there buddy and let us know how it turns out.
    edited November -1
    The only thing that I know is there were two positions open and that they had been given permission to hire for both of them.

My first interview was with the Chief Deputy Probation officer over the Juvenile division and lasted about an hour. My second interview was with the entire Juvenile department including the Chief Probation Officer. They scheduled second interviews in 15 min blocks and mine took the entire 15 mins.

Tippecanoe County, IN seems slow on their hiring process.

-William, what is the longest you have seen it take?
    edited November -1
    We had a hiring freeze in place a couple of times over the years. In those cases we had to wait 30-90 days to fill a position. There was a situation where we had hired an individual and the state did not approve the funding for 30 days due to a last minute change in the State's budget.

It would seem based on the facts you relayed that it should not be more than a week or so. Our usual practice has been to contact the
    person chosen by phone and the rest get letters usually within a week.

By the sounds of the interviewing process, the committee that did the second interview would come up with recommendations and generally the Chief Judge of the county or circuit generally has the final call.

But again, every department does things differently.
    edited November -1
    So from Friday to today would not be unusual. Even till the end of the week would not be unusual??

Do you think there is anymore that I could do??

I have sent thank you letters after every interview and made follow ups when I have been contacted. I even went to court to observe. Is there anything I am missing??

I WANT THIS JOB SO BAD I CAN TASTE IT!!!!
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you have covered your bases well...remember you are dealing with a government entity, nothing moves real fast. Figure the interviews ended Friday, there was time for discusion before the day ended. The discusion may have continued even yesterday if they had several people to consider.

Next move would be to check with references given by the individuals that interviewed and a possible background check (depending on the regs for hiring)

Finally recommendations would have been made to whom ever has the final call and that person depending on hiring practices may take a day or so to consider the choices.

I can tell you the position of Juvenile Probation Officer is one where all the i's are dotted and t's crossed as picking the wrong person can be a disaster.
    edited November -1
    God love ya William. I was starting to get down and thinking that I had lost the job. Now I have a renewed faith that I am still in the running.

It is about time I put that B.S. in Criminal Justice and Criminology from good ol' Ball State University to work!!! Thanks for all of the input. I will post when I find out!!!
  • BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    Cicil service stuff takes forever. I applied for an engineering job and had been learning a trade as a diemaker for a year by the time they offered me a job. That was with a 99 percentile score on their test.
    edited November -1
    So I didn't have an answer to one of the Chief Probation Officer's questions. When I got home from the second interview I looked up the answer and e-mailed it to him.

He just sent me this reply.

Thank you for the response. I am impressed by your thoroughness and I am sure that you will serve a probation department well in the future. Thank you for your interview and time. I wish you luck with your future.

Am I reading too much into this or does it sound like he is, in a round about way, telling me I didn't get the job?? Or is it just a generic letter that doesn't say anything but thank you for your response?

HELP PLEASE!!!