In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Hog Hunting caliber selection

BrowningfeverBrowningfever Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
edited July 2010 in General Discussion
I am planning on going to Oklahoma and TRy to hunt feral pig. My gun choices and Browning A-Bolts in 25-06 and 270 Winchester. Bpth have 26 inch barrels and scoped with Burris 3-10x50mm lighted crosshairs. I think I am a better shot with the 25-06. Any advice I recieve would be helpful

Comments

• zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I'd feel more comfortable with the .25-06 over the .270.
    I'd use a 115- or 120-grain bullet.
    BEST1.jpg
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    Browningfever Use what ever makes you happy.Some of the bigest hogs on the farm are killed with simple 22 cal pistols or rifles. Just make sure of your shot placment.
  • texaswildmantexaswildman Member Posts: 2,215 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    when hunting big boars, it is all about shot placement. shoot whatever you feel the most comfortable with. Heavier bullet weight is better, but go back to shot placement. Their "shield" can be very dense, easily 1-2". We have actually recovered 44 mag hollow points that did not penetrate the shield at 100 yards. However, i killed a 400+ lb boar last year with a 22-250 @ 225 yards - of course i shot it in the side of the head. enjoy your hunt....
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Shot placement.

Shot placement.

SHOT PLACEMENT!!!!

In,or just behind the ear.[;)]

Drops'em like a rock.No matter what your usin'.

BW
  • lazeruslazerus Member Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once helped a guy skin a hog in Florida that took six rounds from a 357 before dropping. We found a four blade broadhead lodged in its spine healed over.
    Shot placement!
  • Jimmy BossJimmy Boss Member Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you feel better with the 25-06 use it. As some of the others have said SHOT PLACEMENT!
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...I'm with BW, SHOT PLACEMENT. Behind the ear, not forehead.
    Went out to check a trap, had about a 400lb boar in it. My friend off handedly popped him twice with a .357. Once in the neck, once in the rib cage. We opened the heavy door (3/4" rnd steel bars), and a "dead" looking pig, came to life, and was really pizzed off!
    ...glad there were some round bales to climb up on...

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm partial to 7.62x39mm 123gr. JHP. But shot placement is what it's all about for sure.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Browningfever
    ...I think I am a better shot with the 25-06...

What more advice could you need? From what I've read, that's plenty of juice, within a reasonable range, to drop a hog.
  • likemhotlikemhot Member Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    likemhot jr, 10 yrs old, south Texas, 25-06, behind the ear at 150 yds and never took another step. Your choice.
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    W[:p]W, 4 years later! [}:)][^][;)]
  • River RatRiver Rat Member Posts: 9,022
    edited November -1
    All good comments, but I used to live in Monterey County, CA where there are big Russian boars among the feral hogs. Did a little hog hunting, and a lot of listening to others. A big one can be mean, and dangerous. Plus, when one squeals his buddies come running to help. One bow hunter spent two days in a tree, until the coast was clear.

Given the above, I would PREFER something heavier than a deer cartridge -- although your caliber choices are excellent in themselves. And maybe a quicker platform, like a lever carbine. What distances do you expect to shoot? I suspect there will be brushy cover, because that's what they like. Will you hunt with dogs, or from a stand? These will reduce the danger factor.

Your two caliber choices are very similar, so there's not much variation in ballistics or terminal performance.

Bottom line: take a gun you like and shoot well, and have fun!
    edited November -1
    Dennis Nielsen: great photo! Love the grin.
  • CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
  • MMOMEQ-55MMOMEQ-55 Member Posts: 13,134
    edited November -1
    I use 375JDJ or 45-70. Nothing puts them down like a big fat hunk of lead.
  • milesmiles Member Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to South Georgia this fall for a hog hunt in the swamps.
    When your not able to always see well enough to place a kill shot,
    bigger is better. Our guide (born and raised in the swamp) is a firm
    believer in big old slugs when in tight places.

I'll be taking my Marlin 444 and 450 Marlin. Both will do whats needed when you have to take a snap shot when your between a 400 lb.
    boar and where he wants to go.

But, you use what you feel works for you.[:)]
  • use enough gunuse enough gun Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Another vote for the 45/70. A big heavy flat bullet works like lightning. Dave
  • mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    Depending on distance & size of pig, mainly 7.62/308 or 303 150gr head + 150yds max, safe for me.[:)]
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    .25/AUGHT 6 is a freekin DEATH RAY!!
  • MudderChuckMudderChuck Member Posts: 4,105
    edited November -1
    You can likely stick a .22 pistol in a Boars ear and kill it. If I'm standing and facing off with a 300 pounder at 25-30 yards, in the dark on the ground, that doesn't seem the least bit afraid of me, I want the largest caliber available (and something with a quick second shot). Been there, done that. I shot one small one (100 lbs.) with a 7X57 right at the base of the neck front to rear, slight downward angle, through the hump. It did knock it down for more than a minute, it looked dead, when it got back up it tried to chew the rear leg off of my dog.
    I've done to many through and throughs and watched to many run another 30-50 yards, to want to trust small high velocity bullets much.
    I've also backed out on at least three occasions. A big old sow faced off with me, in the middle of the night, I backed out. Walked up on a herd of ten lounging in a pasture, then heard two more in the thicket to my right (fifteen feet) making a racket, I left. Had forty or so break out of the woods while I was walking a pole type fence row, 2AM, I climbed a gate post. They broke into the next pasture and started eating lambs, the snorting, slobbering, bleating and the sound of bones breaking made my rectum pucker.
    IMO 180 grain and above, Silver tips below 200 grain, is about the minimum I want with me on the ground. I've brought down a bunch from a tree stand with 160 grain, .308 core lock. Doesn't mess up too much meat and gets the job done.
    My old 35 cal Remington worked well on Boar, 200 grain round nose, low velocity (about 2000 fps ?), wouldn't go all the way through and dumped all of it's energy in the pig. My favorite brush gun, extended magazine.
    Pigs will run and aren't really dangerous, 95 times out of a hundred, it's the exceptions that get your attention. Still have a mental picture in my mind, my pack if dogs (6) being chased by a herd of 15 pigs (Razorbacks). Same pack of dogs that faced off with a Mountain Lion, one dog trailing it's own intestines still attacking that cat. A fine line sometimes between bravery and suicide, sometimes dogs are smarter than people.
  • ~Mr. Colt .45~~Mr. Colt .45~ Member Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41
    .25/AUGHT 6 is a freekin DEATH RAY!!

+1
    edited November -1
    Since this IS a gun forum, and we are all whacko gun nuts eagerly looking for an excuse to pick up another shooter, the idea of having one "all-around gun" is repugnant. Although our spouses may believe they see wisdom in it.

I'd just love to go hog hunting with a classic lever gun, because I need an excuse to get one. Tops on the list is an old Winchester Model 71 in .348. A Marlin Guide Gun in .45-70 (ported, of course) is next, with a Puma in .45 Colt a close third. A huge part of the joy of the hunt, for me, is sitting in my easy chair -- a good glass of whiskey in hand -- and contemplating the pros and cons of these various options.

Not everyone (including me) can just run out and buy a new gun on a whim, of course, but why ruin this by being practical so soon?

Did a mention a Browninng BLR in .338 Federal? That would be a close fourth.
  • Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by River Rat
    Dennis Nielsen: great photo! Love the grin.

+1, that is cool! [8D]

Jon
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A Marlin lever action gun.
    My choice would be a Remington 35cal.
    spn05j5e04xq.gif

Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • 7.62x39Lover7.62x39Lover Member Posts: 3,939 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think an AR-10 or an FPK would be perfect. Hard hitting and ready for follow up shots.
  • freakyfisherfreakyfisher Member Posts: 5 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    25-06 and 120 hornady hollow points hard to beat never had hog travel more than 30 yrds. Most dead on spot with complete pass throughs within 250 yrds. Nothing wrong with 270 either. I'd shot which ever your the most comfadent with!
    edited November -1
    this is the picture I have in my mind pretty much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRBabkJakT8 or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=og5rKt9VYX0 or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnehv9_asCk&feature=fvst or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8hYL9b-DcQ or this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mizAHTt-iBk&NR=1

Whole different can of worms when they are coming at you, instead of running away.

That's pretty much the way they do on occasion, run over you and take a bite on the way by. Occasionally they wheel and dig in for awhile, seen it with dogs.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    I like the 25-06 it is my favourite calibre for mid sized game. I wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger on a large Elk or a Moose.
    The Moose kill is not very likely to happen any time soon as my dedicated Moose rifle is a 300 wbm. But the 25-06 would be my choice for hogs. 120gr hpbt.
  • legionkahnlegionkahn Member Posts: 4,055
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by zipperzap
    I'd feel more comfortable with the .25-06 over the .270.
    I'd use a 115- or 120-grain bullet.
    BEST1.jpg
    RIP zipperzap , this is an older post.

I have took many hogs with my marlin 30-30[^]
  • woodshed87woodshed87 Member Posts: 25,785
    edited November -1
    I shot Mine at 100 yrds with a .22 mag behind the ear
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by woodshed87
    I shot Mine at 100 yrds with a .22 mag behind the ear

What if the pig doesn't know the rules, sees you first and tries to crawl up your pant leg, you really want to be standing there with a .22 mag?[:D]

33cc9xt.png

I go into a thicket looking for a wounded Boar, I take my 1100 Remington, full of slugs (7), extended tube with bayonet lugs, and my M-9 bayonet on the end. Hand to hand combat with a 2-300 lb. Boar that has a bite like a pit bull (and a whole lot bigger teeth), isn't my thing. And sure doesn't sound like a high survivability endeavor.

Kid and his girlfriend were doing what teenagers do naked in the woods and some Boar gets jealous. Opened up the kids leg from the knee to the ankle. Some city official demanded we track down the pig and kill it. No more than a few hundred pigs in that part of the Forest (that sometimes travel 20 miles in a night), we shot one, brought it back and everybody was happy.

Maybe you can get the girls from the other thread to wrestle one for you.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a 45/70 would be ideal, either in a T/C encore or marlin lever gun......topped off with a 2-7 scope .
  • butchlambertbutchlambert Member Posts: 94 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a BR shooting friend that has a ranch just south and west of Houston.Pat does his own gunsmithing and is a Brenchrest Hall of Fame shooter. He hunts virtually every day. I will post one of his stories. He is using a 6X47Lapua.

Last night Vicki and I went hunting after the 10 o'clock news. We hadn't gone much over 1/4 of a mile from the house when she spotted the 'upside down' pig in the spotlight. She squirmed out the window to work the light while I gathered up the rifle. He was pretty close, maybe 75 yards. He was moving on out so my shot placement wasn't as good as it could have been but hit him high in the lungs just behind the shoulder. The shot put him down immediately.. So we continued on down the road. I thought the shot might have caused others to vacate the area and it might have.
    After making another couple of miles I spotted a small group running beside the truck maybe 100 yards out.. I kept the truck rolling and handed the light to Vicki who again worked the light from the passenger side of the truck. By the time she got the light on them and I got the rifle the pigs were traveling directly away. I had no shot but chose the largest one and put a 95 grainer right in the middle of it's *. I heard the shot hit . By this time the pigs had made some light brush and we lost them in the light.
    Got up this morning and wanted to go check the pigs. I drove by the first one knowing where he was. I got to the scene of the second shot and left the truck. I took my slung my rifle over my shoulder and walked out to where I had last seen the butt shot pig.. I walked another 75 yards and spied the pig beside a small bush.. Really was a bit surprised to see it so close but walked to quite pleased.. When I was about 30 yards out I grabbed up my rifle and put a round in the chamber. I had seen pigs live over night before. As I approached the pig I was watching for movement of any kind and saw none. I was about to be surprised !! When I got to within eight or ten feet this * jumped up grunting and squealing... It sounded quite loud !!! In an instant she was spinning to come at me and I fired a shot into her from the hip feeling as if time was of the essence. The shot hit her behind the shoulder high and took her down but not out. She was pissed and still squealing so I shot her again in order resolve the problem.. The old sow gave me a bit of a start! What a great way to start the morning, get your juices flowing..

6x47w95bt002.jpg

6x47w95bt001.jpg

Pat has been killing them for a long time with his 223 Ackley. I've heard all about the "shield". I guess our Russians don't have it.
    Butch
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,235 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with butchlambert on this one.I have been shooting hogs for a long time with a .243 with no problem.Maybe I have not shot the right hog yet,but all my 100 grain Sierras have punched through the shield if that was the shot I had.