In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

B.O.A.T.

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited February 2006 in General Discussion
B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand

A frozen (and Cracked) outdrive, When will I learn! This year I will only invest in good stuff like electronic equipment and cars.

Comments

• BlckhrnBlckhrn Member Posts: 5,136
    edited November -1
    When will you learn to grease the outdrive when you winterize the motor? Hopefully $1000 from today
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Blckhrn
    When will you learn to grease the outdrive when you winterize the motor? Hopefully $1000 from today

Hopefully next winter, but thanks for rubbing it in!
  • will270winwill270win Member Posts: 4,845
    edited November -1
    Lower unit and outdrive service should be done anually. I found out the hard way also. Luckily someone was helpful rather than predatory and I was fixed up right and without the "thousand" syndrome usually accompanied by boat repairs. Now, if only I could sell my boat.....[:D]
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    This will make you feel better - my 1997 Sea Ray was not properly winterized, only 150 hours on the boat, block and exhaust manifolds cracked. My dealer was able to get a brand new 4.3l engine from merccruiser that included everything under the hatch (2004 model) and installed it for ..............$6200! Yikes! I'm not sure the boat was worth that much. So from now on, I pay the $200 end of season winterizing.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Ah, boat! Gotta lov'em or
    tred water![:D]
    BEST1.jpg
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Definition- BOAT- a hole in the water, surrounded by fiberglass, aluminum, or wood. One pours money into the hole until it gets full- at which time it will sink.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,309 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:cartod Posted
    B reak
    O ut
    A nother
    T housand

quote:11b6r Posted
    Definition- BOAT- a hole in the water, surrounded by fiberglass, aluminum, or wood. One pours money into the hole until it gets full- at which time it will sink.
    I have never known anybody that had a boat that didn't pour money into it. I have learned from observation that I have no desire to own a boat.
  • morsecodemorsecode Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My old man was nuts about them. Dragged home one wreck after another. Last one he bought, you could smell it before you could see it. It had caught fire the week before so he 'got a good deal on it'. Oh yeah, mom was thrilled. [xx(]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should talk to Captn. Kirk, he is always rebuilding boats. I live in the desert so I am ignorant of these things. What is an outdrive? Is that one of those inboard/outboard thingees?
  • pointman821pointman821 Member Posts: 872
    edited November -1
    when the temp here gets below 30 degrees (which aint that often), i hang a drop light on my lower unit (outboard) just in case. i dont feel like buying a new gear case on the off chance theres water in the gear case
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    The outdrive is the part of an I/O (inboard/outboard) engine that sits on the outside. It differs from an inboard engine where only the propeller sticks through the hull.

It is essentially the boats transmission.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I kinda guessed that Slipgate, but thanks for the confirmation, always like to learn something, and I might need it someday if I ever mess up and get close to water.[^]
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Living in FL, I don't have to winterize my boat. I due change the gear oil in the outdrives (Volvo Penta 280s) frequently.
    I'm thinking of selling it though, getting to costly to keep.
    Not to mention that in South FL, the marinas are getting really congested. There has not been a new marina built here in over 30 years, thanks to the high cost of waterfront property and the darn environmentalist, always gripeing about the mangroves, sea grasses or the manatees.

It is said that the two best days of a boat owner is when he buys it and when he sells it. I'm looking forward to the latter.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    oops I didnt service my engine. I think Im gonna go check it out.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ah... I feel relieved. Just sold my bassboat and new owner is picking it up at my home tomorrow. I purchased it off a guy going thru a divorce. Well .. ya'll know the story.. I got it for a song. I put NO money at all in this boat but insurance. I just made a cool $1700 and used it almost 4 years.

GW.. the lucky fisherman