In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Safe and Sprinkler System

GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
edited March 2006 in General Discussion
I am thinking about putting a sprinkler system over top of my gun safes instead of buying fireproof safes. The safes I have are big and heavy without fireproofing. If I would put the same commercial sprinkler system they use in businesses would it work at keeping a fire from destroying my guns? Its good enough for a furnace room!

Comments

• trc313trc313 Member Posts: 3,475
    edited November -1
    Sounds like alot more trouble than its worth.
  • WinM70WinM70 Member Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm sure it would be better than a safe as it would extingish the fire instead of let it burn. The cost will set ya back quite a bit, might get a break on home owners insurance.
  • nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not necessarily. In a Type V: Wood Frame dwelling, a sprinkler system won't always work. A fire that starts in the roof or outside wall may spread within the attic/framework to the point that even a completely protected home will be completely destroyed. This is often seen with fires started by lightning.

Neal
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Talk with a sprinkler contractor. There is a different type of sprinkler head made for residential use (Called an NFPA 13E head) that connects to your domestic water system. Nothing is foolproof, but these are not bad. Many are made for installation on a wall up near the ceiling, spray water ACROSS the room. Despite what you see on TV, only the heads that reach trigger temperature will spray water.
  • cbr954cbr954 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think heat is a bigger problem than flames in this situation. Even if your "safe room" is not engulfed in flames, if it gets hot enough, materials INSIDE the safe would ignite. But I guess you could put a sprinkler head IN the safe as well....[;)][:D]
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    quote:you could put a sprinkler head IN the safe as well

When you think about it for a minute ... that may not be as bad of
    an idea as it sounds - seriously. As long as you could retrieve them
    fairly quickly after a fire ... would certainly be better than none at
    all. [:D][:D][:D]
    chewtwigzz.gif
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest a good alarm system that detects fire and automatically notifies the Police and Fire Dept.

Also, you could line your safes with sheetrock for some protection against heat.