In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Flash Suppressors

idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
edited November 2004 in General Discussion
I was checking out a website for quality replacement barrels for my Glock 23 and ran across threaded barrels and compensators and other accessories to screw onto a threaded barrel. Then I found a FLASH SUPPRESSOR! I have never seen a flash suppressor for a pistol. What is the purpose? Is it intended to reduce muzzle-flash when firing in low-light conditions so as not to ruin one's night-vision? I'm confused.

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have seen them before. They seem to me to be a novelty, although they may work for reducing flash, I beleive they are intended to look like a silencer. It gives the illusion of the suprressed pistol
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree they're mostly for show, but I imagine if one were using a handgun on a night mission one might give away one's position without a flash suppressor. Can't imagine too many average Americans needing that feature, even if these things work, which is far from a sure thing.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you put Tritium sights on a pistol, you are admitting that you may need to shoot it at night. Regardless of whether a pistol is ported or compensated, you are still going to have muzzle flash that can take away your night vision. I thought that a flash suppressor may be suitable for diminishing this effect.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    many Mfg make a full auto version of there civilian pistal. Both Glock and beretta do as well as others I am sure. For these full auto version a flash supressor is installed as a matter of fact. My 2 cents
  • competentonecompetentone Member Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best thing I've found to control muzzle flash from a handgun, is a good powder blend.I only use factory loads; the best for minimal muzzle flash I've found is CorBon.
  • CELTIC317CELTIC317 Member Posts: 136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IF YOU HIT YOUR TARGET WHEN YOU PULL THE TRIGGER. WHAT DA HECK IN REGARDS TO MUZZLE FLASH!
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    Wow, I saw Offeror and thought Steve had come back home to his Gun Broker family...then I noticed it was a two year old post!

"Nothing can ever be made 'idiot proof' because idiots are simply too clever"!
    Mark T. Christian
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya, a 2 year old post, and it wasn't Henry this time. [:0] [;)] [:D]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Short answer:pistols dont need flash supressors, because they are not used in the kinds of situations requiring flash supressors.

Long answer: Because pistols have such short barrels, and therefore tend not to burn the entire charge of powder, it is more likely that a pistol would produce a large muzzle flash than a rifle. Under that kind of reasoning, pistols need flash supressors even more than rifles.
    If you consider that the primary reason for supressing the flash is tactical, and that pistols are less likely to be used in a tactical role than rifles, pistols do not need flash supressors. If a pistol is your primary weapon, and you deem it likely to be involved in gunfights at night, then get a supressor for your pistol. The US military likes to engage in night fights because they have an advantage at night, of course they use rifles and higher powered weapons to engage in those fights.