In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

do you record you gun serial #'s?

mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
edited January 2002 in General Discussion
i was going to do this and put in our safety deposit box, for our personal use for ins. fire or whatever but then thought maybe i didn't want all the #'s recorded. do i just want to record the one that have an "offical" papertrail??

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should think you would want to record all of them. If you plan to collect insurance on them in the event of a fire or theft, you will need the numbers, and photos are also a good idea. If you are worried about the feared eventual gubment confication of all fire arms, keep the list where a search warrent will not find it.I probably would not record anything illegal, but I am sure you have nothing like that.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have all of the Serial #'s and pictures of each firearm tucked away in the safety deposit box as well as copies in the safe at home. In case of fire, theft, etc., the information is readily available.
  • jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yes also keep recipts and copiesIf you don't have recipts right down when, where,who you got them from,also record prominent features,defects,give a copy to a friend or trusted relitive.if they are taken and recovered you must prove you own them,saying "thats mine "won't cut it
  • JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Off the subject, but the mention of a "fire-proof box" reminds me that a friend had his house burn to the ground, and everything in his "fire-proof box" was burned as well. Apparently these little boxes are not big enough to protect in a really bad fire. My records, which are extremely detailed and include serial numbers, are in a safe with certified fire protection.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got all my #'s and color pics stashed in a safety deposit box. Although I have nothing "illegal", I do have some that were private sales and two that were purchased in the 50's when you handed the guy the money and he handed you the gun and you walked out.AHHHH...the good old days! Mudge the geezer
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 01-30-2002).]
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep all numbers on a folder(written on the outside) with all of the owners manuals and warranties etc inside the folder. It is fire proof stored as well. So are birth cert., passports, titles, jewelry, etc.Not a bad idea to keep 2 sets and have the other set at a trusted relative or other's home, just in case.
  • mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i was thinking along the same lines. i have nothing illegal, but the way its going some items maybe someday. as far as safes go. do gunsafes have a timed fire tolerance? we do have a firebox rated for 2 hrs. at 1500 deg. it seams a gunsafe would have to be really good to keep the varanish from blistering on a rifle in that kind of temp.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Safes give various levels of protection, and you have to read the label on anything you buy. Frankly, I imagine that even though some of them don't melt, the contents can get hot enough to combust. I'd say guns would be safer in such a safe than paper documents in case of fire. Who knows, your Pachmayrs might melt off the gun....Recording serial numbers really only has two purposes, for me. One, to collect on insurance, and two, to retrieve stolen property. In terms of retrieving stolen property, making a unique mark in a hidden spot, say under the grips or inside the slide, might work as well. Isn't that why God made dremel tools? You could even take pictures of the markings on your guns.
    "The 2nd Amendment is about defense, not hunting. Long live the gun shows, and reasonable access to FFLs. Join the NRA -- I'm a Life Member."
  • muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In addition to taking photographs, I video taped all my guns individually against a background of butcher paper. On the paper, with a black marker, I recorded what the gun was, when and how acquired and S/N. I zoomed in for closeups of distinguishing marks which all my guns seem to have from falling with me off of mountains, etc. Besides recording them in case of theft, it was fun to do.muley
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,099 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I fill out a recipe card on every gun I have. I record where, when, who, serial #'s and any identifiable marks. Also any collectable features and values. If anything should happen to me I would like my family to have some idea of worth as they don't have the interest I do.I also take pictures of my guns. I don't know if that is for identity or because I'm a gun nut? I keep all this in my safe, but I think I will go with the bank box too.
    "If stupidity got us into this mess, then why can't it get us out?" Will Rogers
    standard.jpg
  • CAndres35CAndres35 Member Posts: 453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep record of s# make model cost who i bought it from and how much i paid. i keep this in a journal. most "books" dont burn except around the edges. i also keep them on a floppy disk stoed at my sons house. CARL