In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Politics

pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
edited January 2002 in General Discussion

Comments

• pikeal1pikeal1 Member Posts: 2,707
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    I was just wondering how many of the posters here actually write letters to state representatives, and congressmen. I have posted a couple of letters that I have written here for others to cut and paste them, but have had no reply on either. I have only really seen the damage that the gun grabbers have done since I became a member of these boards, and waking up to some of the news here is disturbing, to say the least.I, for one, enjoy writing, and have no problem posting letters here for others to send as well. I think that might be the extra push that somepeople need to actually get involved.what do you folks think?
    edited November -1
    I told my son, ?You will marry the girl I choose.?
    He said, ?No.?

I told him, ?She is Bill Gates' daughter.?
    He said, ?OK.?

I called Bill Gates and said, ?I want your daughter to marry my son.?
    Bill Gates said, ?No.?

I told Bill Gates, ?My son is the C.E.O. of World Bank.?
    Bill Gates said, ?OK.?

I called the president of World Bank and asked him to make my son the C.E.O.
    He said, ?No.?

I told him, ?My son is Bill Gates' son-in-law.?
    He said, ?OK.?

And that?s how politics work.
    edited November -1
    WHAT IS "POLITICS"

This little boy goes to his Dad and asks, "What is politics?" Dad says, "Well son, let me try to explain it to you this way ... I'm the breadwinner of the family, so let's call me 'Capitalism.' Your Mom, she's the
    administrator of the household, so we'll call her the Government.We're here to take care of YOUR needs, so we'll call you 'The people.'

The nanny, well, she works hard all day for very little money, so we'll consider her the Working Class'. And your baby brother.. we'll call him 'The Future.' Now, think about that and see if it makes sense."

So the little boy goes off to bed thinking about what his Dad has said.

Later that night, he hears his baby brother crying, so he gets up to check on him. He finds the baby has severely soiled his diaper. So the little boy goes to his parents' room and finds his mother sound asleep.

Not wanting to wake her, he goes to the nanny's room. Finding the door he peeks into the keyhole and sees his father in bed with the nanny. He gives up and goes back to bed.

The next day, the father says, "Well son, tell me in your own words what you think politics is all about."

The little boy replies, "Well, while Capitalism is screwing the Working Class, the Government is sound asleep, The People are being ignored, and the Future is in Deep *."

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
    edited November -1
    I think Rreagan wrote this just for Clinton.
    [:D][:)][8D][:p][^]

Politics is not a bad profession. If you succeed there are many
    rewards.
    If you disgrace yourself, you can always write a book." Ronald
    Reagan

Eagle_Guns.gif
    standard.jpg

When a worm wants to relax,does he go fishing?

ATF,Eagle Guns
    edited November -1
    It isn't that dark and scary.. I used to think so, but now I post there all the time. [:D]
  • hunter280manhunter280man Member Posts: 705
    edited November -1
    Hey, I'm not very "politically inclined" but whenever NRA sends me letters to sighn and mail I will usually do so. Ill keep a look out and see what you have to say in the future.
    The Buck Stops Here...
  • simonbssimonbs Member Posts: 994
    edited November -1
    I've sent emails, signed petitions, and made a few phone calls. But, I've never sent a letter.Thanks, though for doing what you do. Every bit helps. If one extra letter was sent because someone could copy it and not have to write it, then I think it's worth the effort.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    Continue to do what you are doing.I send many letters and E-mail all my Reps. ect. All on this site should give it some thought as well because, believe me- the anti-gunners are doing it all the time and the government will classify the "majority" as those who are making "contact". In my opinion- there's no use in enjoying my gun hobby, if I know I'm not doing what I can to help preserve "a right" that will become illegal by a handfull of people who are more active than I.
  • concealedG36concealedG36 Member Posts: 3,566 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's a website that I have used. http://www.gunowners.org/activism.htm It is to help those of us who are admitedly not very interested in politics (i.e. can't remember all of my representatives). I do write letters and send e-mail, but sometimes I need a little help addressing them.
    Gun Control Disarms Victims, NOT Criminals
    edited November -1
    I will admit, I am not a fanatic of sifting through legal mumbo jumbo and shooting off leters for things I know nothing about. Every time i see something on this site that deserves an email or letter, I write it and send it. I think we can all pitch in and use that gun rights forum to post topics that would require action by us, and all gun owners. Its a small step, but with enough people doing it, we will prevail.Alex
  • whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pike:Based on experience I might suggest that anything you submit here be in a format that can be printed. Our national representatives pay scant attention to e.Mail and even less to form letters that they recognize as such. Write away and those here that really want to make the effort can print your example with whatever modifications they might want to make and mail it. ThanksClouder..
  • muleymuley Member Posts: 1,583 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pike......please do so. I could use the help in composing letters and I will definitely use them.Thanks,muley
  • turboturbo Member Posts: 820 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've written letters, some taken off this board.I think it's a good idea, I'm for it.
    edited November -1
    It would be my pleasure to help compose some letters, my only problem is finding the issues that need them. If we can put them on the gun rights, or politics forum, then I'll get to work writing them. Alex
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I write a lot of letters. Mostly e-mail and fax. Due to the delay in getting "snail-mail" irradiated, what you're writing about has probably already happened by the time your reps. get it.My Rep.(Shelley Moore-Capito [R]) is quite responsive and I've even received calls from her office asking me for further info on a couple of things. Nice touch. She is quite pro-gun. She even called to say she'd add her name as a co-sponsor to Rep. Hostettler's national concealed weapon reciprocity bill. Being as how my Senators are Byrd and Rockefeller, you can guess what kind of responses I get from them on gun rights.Same old, same old....."I'll keep your views in mind" bed-bug letter.The subjects that the NRA sends cards about are used as a basis for my writings but I never send the cards themselves. I was a part-time lobbyist for United Airlines for about 3 years and worked Capitol Hill at least once a week. Clouder's got it absolutely right....they don't pay much attention to form letters and/or mass mailings. So make it as original as possible.Mudge the politically active
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 01-31-2002).][This message has been edited by mudge (edited 01-31-2002).][This message has been edited by mudge (edited 01-31-2002).]
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I write letters, emails and send faxes to our members of Congress and state and local representives all the time. Sometimes I even receive a reply that addresses the issue that I wrote about, lol.When I first married Mrs NJRETCOP, she was impressed with all the official mail that I received from Washington and New Jersey until she read some of the form letters these fools send. (The Honorable Senator Robert "Don" Torricelli no longer replies to my mail. I give him credit for not wasting my tax dollars, since he never says anything intelligent anyway).I guess I'll have to wait until Salzo and Josey move to NJ. Then we'll have three votes against him, lol.I am not easily deterred however, and I shall continue writing until they ban not only my guns, but my pen and keyboard as well.-Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com [This message has been edited by njretcop (edited 01-31-2002).]
    edited November -1
    Charlie,Don't you know that your supposed to move to Florida after retiring!?!?!Sheesh, you'd have a Republican Governor and everything.
    edited November -1
    I live in flarda...where am I supposed to go when I retire? still got about 40 years, but its never too soon to start planning.
    edited November -1
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have written many letters on the behalf of several organizations supporting gun rights issues to a number of political leaders. In every case I did get reply's....sometimes not what we wanted to hear, other times very encouraging. When they receive a letterhead correspondence from a group with ____thousand members, it makes an impression. On the positive side, a couple of letters generated an invitation to conferences and meetings to find out what our groups input was.
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have file folders full. D.C. don't like me.
  • jetjet Member Posts: 543 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes I've written letters,but the responce I've gotten makes me wonder if my rep/senrealy read them I get backm form letters thatare close to ,but not quite the subject I hoped to brin to their attention.be specific, one topic per letter.tell them what you want done.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I e-mail my Rep. when necessary and see him when he is back from Washington. We used to be in the same office 20 years ago and even after 10 years in office he has not changed much. Great guy...
  • ADfreeADfree Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The best bet is to hire a private investigator to come up with the material for an opening paragraph of the letter ! The pols will read it then!
  • timberbeasttimberbeast Member Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jet, if you keep getting form letters, enclose a dollar bill with your next letter, and tell them it's a language you're sure they'll understand. Trust me, they'll read it, also probably hate your guts, send the dollar back, and if you don't get a reply, send 2 the next time. I got up to 27 with one guy. Finally got him on the phone, he told me "I don't give a sh%t what you think, I'm Polish, a Democrat, and my district is the south side of Milwaukee.", then he hung up. Know what? He's right, but at least I can tell anyone in the area that his name is Gerald Kleczka, U.S. Rep.On the other hand, Rep. Sennsennbrenner always repies specifically, even hand wrote a letter to my daughter once.
  • MadjackMadjack Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anybody thought about writing to Tom Ridge, director of the Homeland Security? I have several times now suggesting he take some tips from Israel on their homeland security. Can't hurt??I haven't found an actual address for him yet so I just send it in care of the White House.
    Forget the Jones's.....I keep up with the Simpsons!