In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

good 10/22 scope?

frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2006 in General Discussion
I just recently got a Ruger 10/22 that has a scope on it, but I would like a better one. I was hoping maybe you guys couild recommend one for me. Preferrably one less than 75 bucks. I'm not looking for any one in paricular. Maybe one that is raised so I could use the normal sights as well as the scope. Or one with a good zoom. Thanks for your help. Right now the scope that's on it is a Tasco. I'm not sure what the power of it is though.

Comments

• GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    6.5-20 Leopold Vari-x III, with 50mm Objective and turret adjustments. [:D]

Or a nice strait 4 power redfield.[^]
  • morsecodemorsecode Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You should be able to get a set of Weaver see thru rings just about anywhere. I've seen them here for under $7.

I have a Nikon Prostaff scope on my 10/22. I'd have to hunt around for the box to tell you what power it is, but the field of view is sharp and bright. I believe I paid $90 at a high retail gun store.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    http://www.topglock.com/catalog/penny_sale.htm

Tasco for $ .01 Oh wait you already have one of those[:p]

Guess that one isn't "badass" enough huh? Personally, if the one that's on it works, I wouldn't change it. I also wouldn't use those raised rings. Either use the scope, or take it off and shoot iron sights.
  • leeblackmanleeblackman Member Posts: 5,303 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I prefer relex type optics. Bushnell holosights are nice, eotech, or one of the cheap ones that have like 6 different reticles. They are just so much fun with a nice 30rd mag, and a happy trigger finger :)
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    A Schmidt&Bender 1.5-6x42 in extra wide steel rings works wonders on my Ansh?tz 1451 .22LR.

I'd suspect it would too on your Ruger.
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For $75 bucks you're going to have to go to WallMart and pick up a Bushnell or BSA scope. They do fine for low recoil rounds like the .22LR. I would avoid high mounted scopes on low powered round like .22LR. You want the center of the scope as close as possible to the center of the bore.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    I've got a Bushnell on one of mine
    and I forget what's on the other one.
    The third is just plain ole iron sights.
    BEST1.jpg
  • KYfatboyKYfatboy Member Posts: 859 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hear A lot of negatives about tasco scopes, well they sure ain't no burris, or leupold, but I've sure dropped A lot of deer with A tasco.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Been lookin' for a silver scope for my custom 10/22 for a while.

Finally picked up a new Simmons 3x9x32 22MAG with A/O(100yds) for about $60 at the gun show Saturday.So far,I think I'm gonna like it.

Got it dialed in Sunday(windy as hell)and am now at "minute of crow" at 50 yds(elevation perfect,windage spread about 1 1/2").I know it'll do better than that on a still day.[;)]

BW
  • mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Money for money the Simmons 22 Mag is a great scope, use a fixed 4X or the 3X9 just take a minute and think about how high the scope will be over the bore if you choose to use those see through rings.
    Mount your scope as low to the bore as you can possibly get it, and you'll be happy with it.
    The 22 scope have the parralax adjusted to suit the 22's range unlike a regular rifle scope..

Save your money for a lot of years and then use a high powered Nightforce on it, it will make people act crazy [:D]
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mine also wears a 22 Rimfire Magnum scope by Simmons. I am not really a fan of Simmons scopes, but this one does the job. Also have one on an old Marlin 81 and it too, works well.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    see-thru rings are for suckers!
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:see-thru rings are for suckers!

Jeez, what is that about? See-thru's are great unless you actually want to shoot with your rifle.
  • hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tsavo303
    see-thru rings are for suckers!

There is no free lunch. You can't have your cake and eat it too. And you cant properly mount a scope directly over the bore as close to the bore as possible and at the same time be able to clearly see the iron sights. Something has to be compromised if you want to try and have both.

You can mount the scope off to the side or on stilted rings, but you probably wont be getting the best performance out of the scope/rifle combination. If you can't get the best performance out of your scope, you might as well stick with iron sights.
  • jbw1776jbw1776 Member Posts: 3,056
    edited November -1
    This is whats on my 10/22, a BSA 4X32. I've had no complaints, and you'll save enough on it to be able to pick up a few bricks of .22 ammo as well.
    http://www.riflescopes.com/products/S4X32WR/bsa_4x32_.22_special_riflescope.htm

Ben
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Bigger, to a certain degree is better.

Either a wideview, variable power, or, a 3-9x50 or 4-12x50.

I believe Midway had Simmons 3-9x50 on sale for $29.....
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    simmons 3-9x40 with low rings
  • DarkStar11DarkStar11 Member Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also have Simmons 22 Mag AO scopes on my 10/22's. They work well.
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I will second (or third or whatever number we are on) the Simmons 22 Mag series.

Have a 3-9 matte in low rings on mine and my wifes 10/22 and they are nice little squirrel and gopher getters.
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcloco
    Bigger, to a certain degree is better.

Either a wideview, variable power, or, a 3-9x50 or 4-12x50.

I believe Midway had Simmons 3-9x50 on sale for $29.....
    i think its called the blazer CHEAP!!
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Simmons 22 MAG on my 10/22 and I can't fault it at all. If I miss it's not the scope--it's me.
  • PinheadPinhead Member Posts: 1,485 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a Simmons 22 MAG on my 10/22 and I can't fault it at all. If I miss it's not the scope--it's me.