In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Shoff and others (quick stock question)

CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
I applied a coat of stain today to the M44 stock. Is one coat all that's needed or would it be better if I applied a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th coat. The gun looks pretty good and I was impressed about how easy it was to apply the stain.

FYI; I'm using Birchwood Casey's Walnut stain and am planning on finishing with the Tru-oil.

Any tips from here?

Thanks in advance.
Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.

Comments

• Options
    stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the more stain you the darker it will get lightly sand in between coats
  • Options
    stevegsteveg Member Posts: 845 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the more stain you put the darker it will get lightly sand in between coats
  • Options
    shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if you were able to fill in all the grain with only one coat, then you should be fine. If it was me, i would take a magnifying glass and some good light and carefully examine the stock completely to make sure I didn't miss a spot. cause if you don't, it will be sure to show when you go to oil it. Or maybe you didn't miss any spots, but you have a rough spot. Although, if you are finishing with tru-oil, as long as a spot isn't too rough, you would be ok cause you can smooth it out with the oil.

But, I have never used that stain, so it may get darker like said above. Thats what most stains seem to do to wood.