In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How much should I pay for this truck??

RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
Someone has offered to sell me a truck before they trade it in.

2002 Chevrolet Silverado LS with Z71 package.
41500 miles.
Automatic
4.8L V8
Power doors and windows
Towing Package
A/C
Rhinolined bed with Hard Tonneau cover.

Truck is in good condition with a few scratches. Brakes have just been worked on, but needs new tires.

I have run the truck through Kelley blue book and NADA guides. Basically worth $15000.

The owner is asking for the $15000. Is this a good deal or no. I would buy the truck at $10000. I dont have to have a newer truck but if a great deal were to fall in my lap I would upgrade.

BTW my current truck is

94 S-10 4x4 LS
No Power anything
Standard 4.3 V6
126000 miles.

Needs ball joints, torsion bar mounts, U-joints, Shocks, and maybe a new clutch in 10000 miles.

Been used hard and is starting to feel its age, so I know a newer truck needs to come this year or next.

Thanks

Comments

• Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stick with the S-10, its good for another 150,000 or so, and I'm sure its paid for[:)][:)]
  • codenamepaulcodenamepaul Member Posts: 2,931
    edited November -1
    For about 2 grand in work and a tranny you'll have a new truck.
  • shoff14shoff14 Member Posts: 11,994 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    tell him 14000 firm or walk away. [:D]
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My biggest need for a bigger truck is that this coming winter I will need to plow a 1200' road. I dont think the S-10 would last very long with a plow attached.

Like I said the S-10 has been abused. Has had two new tranny's, two rear ends. It routinely tows a 20 foot boat that is bigger than the truck.

It has been loaded with 2450lbs of salt and driven 50 miles like that.

I dont know if it can still handle the plowing.
  • dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    10-12,000 tops.

Tires will be $600-650 for the Z71 - they are big!
  • scottm21166scottm21166 Member Posts: 20,723
    edited November -1
    there are going to be alot of full size trucks available cheap, soon...hold out for the best deal possible in 2 months. youll need the money to pay for gas
  • DaBowMan18DaBowMan18 Member Posts: 2,962
    edited November -1
    well i would offer the gut 12,500 for the Z71 and stay firm at that because dcloco is right, tires aint cheap[V]
  • ccddbb95448ccddbb95448 Member Posts: 796 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with him to the dealer and tell him up front you will pay 3000.00
    more then they will give him.[:p]
  • Patriots sonPatriots son Member Posts: 915 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trucks are dime a dozen, its not like this is the last available. I dont know your $ situation, but anything that depriciates like a vehicle is a bad investment. I would buy a tractor or old blazer to plow the road, but I am kinda a tightwad, or so my wife says.
  • Old hickoryOld hickory Member Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Offer $11,000 and walk..... then go up to $12000 2hen they call back.
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    A dealer will only offer the owner auction price in todays market. They may play with the price of the new truck to make him think he is gettin more but thats about all he will get.

I would find out the wholesale blue book price for the truck and figure the dealer will offer him $500-1000 less. Then give him a fair price over that dealer figure. Both of you will have a win win transaction.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is it an extended cab?. It sounds high to me even if it is. If it isn't he is way out of line. Tires will run you 500 bucks. Miles are OK ( low ) but you won't be towing a bunch with the 4.8. The 5.3 is the preferred engine. I am thinking $12,000 and no more since you have to add tires. If it isn't an extended cab.. well delete 3 grand.
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    They can't give away full sized Chevy trucks here now with gas at 3/gal. You can get a brand new 06 Ford F150 for $14,000 or so says the Ford commercials from Raliegh.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Keep the S-10. A clutch is $80. Balljoints are about $45 each. Shocks...just buy a Rancho lift...the shocks come with it for free.[:D]

I miss my S-10.
  • dcso3009dcso3009 Member Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You will not be able to put much of a plow on either of thoes trucks. There are some lite duty plows on the market like the snowsport, but they don't work that well. For a real plow like a Boss or Hiniker(sp?) you will want at least a 2500. My advice would be keep the s-10 and get an old beater plow truck. I know where there is a 1989 Ford F-250 witha 351 for 5000 with a Boss V-plow. The truck would not be bad rig to tow and plow with.
  • WranglerWrangler Member Posts: 5,788
    edited November -1
    Keep and fix the S-10.
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just got a 2000 Z71 extended cab Silverado with 5.7 very nice with new tires for $13,999 This is in Ohio.
    And sold my 99 S10 ZR2 for $4000. It needed some work and a tranny. A friend who is a GM tech said the S10s are usually good for about 100,000 miles, then they start to nickel and dime you. And that has been my experience too, with this and an S10 Blazer.
    I think you can do better. Keep shopping. The 2500 has the 6.0 motor like the Corvette.
  • IAMACLONE_2IAMACLONE_2 Member Posts: 4,725
    edited November -1
    $12,000 tops as last offer
    Anything less the better
  • slipgateslipgate Member Posts: 12,741
    edited November -1
    You're running into the same issue we did. Used trucks are almost as much as new ones, so why buy used? We just got an '05 Silverado work truck series with an 8 foot box for $14,500 brand new from the dealer. No 4x4 and no "extras" (just A/C and Auto) but for what we want it for, utility, it is perfect! We got it "out the door" for about $16,000 (taxes, tags, Line-X beadliner, etc).

I put in my own power windows from a kit (2 hours) for $350 and a better stereo.

0 miles, 0 problems, full warranty
  • Flyin_PaulieFlyin_Paulie Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slipgate
    You're running into the same issue we did. Used trucks are almost as much as new ones, so why buy used? We just got an '05 Silverado work truck series with an 8 foot box for $14,500 brand new from the dealer. No 4x4 and no "extras" (just A/C and Auto) but for what we want it for, utility, it is perfect! We got it "out the door" for about $16,000 (taxes, tags, Line-X beadliner, etc).

I put in my own power windows from a kit (2 hours) for $350 and a better stereo.

0 miles, 0 problems, full warranty
    I think RUGERGUNZ wants something to plow with. 2WDs don't cut it. Whoever mentioned a 3/4 ton to plow with is right on track. A 3/4 ton will hold up much better than a half ton. They are sprung heavier and will take the extra weight of a plow. In Alaska I had an older Ford 3/4 ton with a 300CI six and a plow on it. I used it a bunch every winter and was very happy with combination. If you chain up, and you may have to when you are plowing, it's pretty tough on the truck. Hope this helps for whatever that's worth.[:)]
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    $6.25. At that price, you're getting an incredible bargain.

Well... you asked.
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks everyone.

I think I am going to pass on this one. For the amount of plowing that needs to be done a 1/2 ton should be able to do it. My local mechanic who does most of the towns plowing, seems to think the S-10 can do it. ****But he is also my MECHANIC****

Where I live 4x4 is a must. You would be hard pressed to find a two wheel drive truck in the town I live. We actually use trucks for what they were meant to do.

The other reason I was thinking of switching trucks is that the 2002 gets around 20-21 mpg with the tonneau. My S-10 is only getting 14-15 mpg. But it is mostly short stop and go type driving.

Thanks again.
  • RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like I will have to pay you a visit before too long BD. I am looking for a red 2004-2005 Dodge 4x4 1/2 ton that is loaded. I think the Dealers around here are married to them.
  • agman1999agman1999 Member Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you're facing stop and go driving, that full size truck is never going to get 20 mpg. It MIGHT manage to do as well as your S-10, but it won't be better. Also, our experience was that the 1/2 ton 4x4 extended cab was heavy enough that the 4.8 was working pretty hard to hold speed even without a load. The 5.3 that we had before it was better on gas by 3 mpg.