In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

TO OPERATE, OR TO NOT OPERATE..THAT IS THE ?

RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
edited February 2002 in General Discussion
Ok, "misspelled" is the key word here! Have 3 totally screwed up disks. Have some of the best Ortho,Neuro,& General surgeons in the metroplex that would to do the chop,chop on me. They all also teach their procedures at UT Southwest Med School. so am confident in them...just not the outcome. Have had THREE other opinons, same conclusion. The general surgon would open me up in the front to gain a route to my spine,ughh! Then the nero guy would do his thing with the nerves, then the ortho guy would do his hardware thing with the screws and cages filled with pcs. of my hip bone,ouch! The hip bone Im told would from then on feel as if I had a hip pointer.LOTS of complications. What I have found on the net does not sound good. The BEST thing said about the procedure(really several involved)was that if "the patient does not have MORE pain,or MORE numbness in leg(s),no paralysis...the DR. and patient should consider the operation a success"! WHAT KIND OF CRAP IS THAT??? Also said that the pain would prob. still be present,maybe,maybe just not as bad! Plus with 3 vertbrae fused in my low back...I'd be stiffer than..use your imagination. As of now my back problem limits and effects evrything I do or try to do..it is there 24/7. DR.s say it could weel degenerate to the point in the near future to the point I could be rolling around in a 2 wheel chair. SAY! Maybe put a custom rifle rest on the front! Anyway, anybody that has any info,maybe first hand about a single,double...or god awful triple fusion where they go in the front and back, a 360 degree fusion(I think) where they chisel off some hip bone to put in little baskets to be placed where they remove the bad disks....PLEASE share your info with me..I need it....thanks in advance again guys...your the best...richard
"ANY" EXCUSE IS A GOOD REASON TO BUY "JUST 1 MORE".& VICIE-VERSIE!

Comments

• JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My friend, I am very young in bad back standards, and have two of those myself. I am going to consult with an orthopedic to see what he says after an MRI. My first sugg. would be to find an orthopedic who does the college and other sports guys, They are the best to ask. I mean that!!!! My friend just had his third one and the doctor said that when he woke up he wouldn't be able to feel his legs for a week. He could however feel them when he woke. I beleive they tell you the worst for legal purposes. All of the guys at the hunt club who have had the same problems have told me that I should have it done as young as possible. I would be frightened immensely, but they are probably correct. And, after they have recovered, they admit it should have been done long ago.Take my advice on the sports ortho. That's advice from a John's Hopkins Doctor to me. Hope all goes well for you. Justin.
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Richard, my advice, for what it's worth, is don't do it unless it's absolutely necessary!I am retired on disability because of two herniated disks in my lower back, namely L4 and L5.It happened in 1979. I also consulted with three surgeons at the time and the way they described the operation really turned me off. There are serious complications that can occur (as is possible with any operation)but these can leave you crippled. One of the doctors, in whom I had the most trust, told me to wait and see what happens. You can always have the surgery he said, but if you are mobile and can live with the discomfort, do so for now. That was 32 years ago. I have some very bad days and I cannot do some of the things that I used to do, but I am going strong.Two other officers on my department had the surgery and both have regreted it. Of course, much has been learned in those 32 years by medical science and I'm certain they have improved on the procedure. In fact, a close friend of ours recently had her back operated on, for the same condition that I have, and they used laser. Didn't even cut her. She swears by her doctors.It is a very big decision and one not to be taken lighty. Educate yourself on the subject, do research on the latest procedures, ask questions and then make your decision.I wish you the very best and am available if you would like to chat about it.Regards,
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • bhayes420bhayes420 Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I feel your pain! In one 12 month period, from April 96 through April 97, I had 3 back surgeries. Yep, I said 3 in 12 months. All lumbar laminectomies at different levels. If your problem is nerve related, go to a neuro. They can handle that better than ortho's whose focus is on bones. If your back is broke, an ortho is fine. I can say that I do still have back pain, some days LOTS of back pain. Enough to put me in bed. Thankfully, I pastor a church, so have a pretty lax schedule. After a back surgery, you will never be the same, so don't try to be. I can spend a day working in the garden, but I go into it knowing that the next day I will be down for the count. I just plan and count my blessings that I can still do what I want within reason. Talk to lots of docs, then go with the one YOU feel most comfortable with. I will tell you this, I know 2 people who had the cage thing you mentioned. Pure misery for them. They both eventually had to have surgery to remove all that metal junk, and then have their spine fused. I have never heard of a case of that working. God bless you man! I will say a prayer for you.
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I have a brother-in-law who for 18 years put up with pain and walking funny because his back was "broke- disks out of aligne " you name it. He was an *. Because he hurt all the time and figured there was no fix. One year ago- he was in a car accident and was banged up bad. The Doctors performed a put together, but worked on his spine as well- found his problem and did the surgery as an extra. He no longer has pain- he walks straight and is in a good mood all the time, because he no longer hurts. This man is a different person. He no longer is an *. The pain is gone and he is getting on with his life. If you are in pain all the time and can't function- I say- go for it! And my prayers are with you! Best Luck!
    edited November -1
    I also have a brother-in-law that is a pain in the *, but back surgery wouldn't straighten him out.............now brain surgery, hmmmmmm -Charlie
    It's the stuff dreams are made of AngelNRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • RUGERNUT3RUGERNUT3 Member Posts: 247 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ya'll are why this is MY board...greatest people in the world. Thanks ya'll..already had Every available test, this has been going on for 11 months. Been so bad this week I almost was giving some thought to the operation...but the answers so far....have me thinking the BIG NO again.Already have been told by a friend (DR) that I could always have the operation later if it got beyond the threshold of being able to not move. thanks guys...njretcop, get time I will chat with you on it..thanks....
    edited November -1
    NJRETCOP....lobotomy I assume??!
    edited November -1
    I was thinking more along the lines of dis-memberment.... (from the family that is, lol).-Charlie
  • ElbestaElbesta Member Posts: 334 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had 2 fusions done one in 85 and in 87. And will need to have more done at some time later. What I can say is wait tell you have to do it. They can work, letting the bone heal is very important. They did the chiping the hip thing on me. When it is time to have it done you will know it. Good luck, and if if you got any more questions ask I will try and help.Elbesta
  • Fep1990Fep1990 Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with most of the replies. My advice: Do not do it unless there is no other option. I had a fusion and disectomy done in Dec '92 by one of the best Orthos and one of the best Neuros in SW Washington. They used a piece of my hip and slapped it all together with rods and screws. Overall....I feel much better. I am glad that I did it. The pain and rehab was severe for several months.but eventually went away. I have my good days and my bad days...when my bad days keep me in bed. Due to the surgery...we are discovering that I have gotten some slight nerve damage and it affects my lower leg.....am I am now thinking about another surgery. If you are in otherwise good shape and great health.....go for it if everyday living has gotten to be un bearable. If you do go ahead with the surgery.... Do EXACTLY what the docs tell you to do and listen to their Dont's.....I didn't listen too well....and I am paying for it now.[This message has been edited by Fep1990 (edited 02-01-2002).]
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i went through this same trauma in 75.the doc gave me odds of 25-50-25 as to better-same-worse.no doubt technoligy has improved since then but i would still ask about the success ratio before i jumped in.anybody remember the mylogram tests? what a downer. barto
    the hard stuff we do right away - the impossible takes a little longer
    edited November -1
    Much thanks to everyone...ah yes the mylogramtest=bad. Dont know if they had this one then..the Diskogram=gutshot is better,makes the mylo look fun,really. The BEST thing about the diskogram is that I NEVER,NEVER,NEVER have to take it again...kinda like your walking down the street minding your on biz...when some maniac sneaks up behind you with a chainsaw saw revved up to its max and stabs you in the low spine with it...then starts twisting it around..bad...very..very bad. I have asked about the odds..about the same...25%better75% same OR WORSE. have some pretty good nerve damage..that is why I am having trouble with what to do and wanted ya'lls thoughts....about 90% now..NOT to do it, as was said...can do it later, and who knows...by then there could be a better procedure available...
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    RUGERNUT3: I also feel your pain. Have had three back operations from an accident. Supposed to have two more to better releive the pain from the ruptured discs but have been advised to wait as long as possible for newer technology and procedures that are coming about. My first operation was under emergency conditions - an excellent job. The second and third were performed after other injuries healed - what a butcher job. No matter how good or experienced the man with the knife is, your stuck with his work for life and you are just another paycheck to him. In all fairness my butcher did make it possible for me to walk again but he could have done a more better job. Whatever level of pain you are dealing with now you run the real risk of doubling that level from the operation. Just take your time and take a thoroughly informed approach to all the options available to you. Good luck.
    Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't help you make your decision, but......I'd go with the advice about the sports doc.2 things to remember:What do they call the guy who was top of his class in med school??........Doctor!What do they call the guy who finished last in his class??........Doctor!Kinda' makes ya' say....HMMMM!Did you ever wonder why it's called a "practice"?Seriously though, best of luck whatever you decide. Keep us posted.Mudge the cynic
    I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS![This message has been edited by mudge (edited 02-01-2002).]