In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Paypal

vredekervredeker Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
edited January 2003 in General Discussion
I bought an item at auction. Seller prefers payment by Paypal. I dont know anything about that, pro or con, so before I sign up for it I would like to hear some opinions, please. I won't do it on this item, I'll send money order, so there is no hurry, but would like to hear what you think.
Vic [:D]

The second childhood is a lot more fun than the first!!

Comments

• vredekervredeker Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Anyone ever get a notice saying your paypal account is going to be expired? I got a notice today telling me to open an attachment to upgrade my security something or other. Im kind of reluctant to do this.

Larry
    edited November -1
    If you use paypal to pay for any parts or service be sure not to put anything about gun parts or services on any part of the payment I have had some big time arguments with those liberal jerks about this several times
    edited November -1
    Why do so many people on the GB auction side demand payment through paypal? WHy would they even want their money going to an anti-gun company? [V]
    edited November -1
    I thought paypal would not allow you to pay for firearms . I was looking at the auctions, noticing a lot of nr sellers wanting to be paid via paypal. Here is 1 of several i was looking at.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=174027564
    edited November -1
    Boycott PayPal. I have been a member since they began...Bought and sold all kinds of stuff...had their credit/debit card...life was great...until...someone paid me for a gun using Paypal. He put "For Smith & Wesson 39-2" in his memo. This must have sent an alert because after getting that money...I have not been able to use PayPal again to send or receive money. (5 yrs now) I now have a "lifetime ban". I have written and threatened to no avail. The gun was sold on GunBroker, but because the buyer used PayPal to pay for a legitimate sale from me, a FFL dealer, I now am banned.
    edited November -1
    Can Paypal be used to pay for a black powder revolver?
    edited November -1
    I looked & looked in the Buyer & Seller tutorials about Paypal. What does it do/cost? Where do I find info on this?Can someone help the blind man? Thanks!
    edited November -1
    Ok, so if paypal is so anti-gun, what online payment service should i use? I want to be able to use my checking account and my credit card. Thanks alot!
    -Casey

When they come to get your GUNS, make sure to give them the AMMO first!!!
    edited November -1
    I noticed that most sellers refuse to utilize the services of paypal. Why is that?
    edited November -1
    I just received my statement from GunBrokers stating that they do not accept payments through PayPal, due to unspecified "problems."
    They should know. Word to the wise?

"Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of their country."
    edited November -1
    I have a account with paypal, how do people pay into your account.
    Thanks Dennis
    edited November -1
    Is everyone in the world afraid of paypal. They seem to have intimadated vertually everyone. They certainly do not like guns and do not beleive in the Consitution and the right to bear arms and they say its because all of us dealers are selling guns to every criminal that walks in the door. They never consider the backgrounds that are run and the fact that most criminals do not go to a store to buy a gun. I hated them anyway but even Visa and MC will not take you if you are a Internet business and selling guns. So you have to put a terminal in your house and start selling sporting goods. I have one of them approvals from the Calif dept of Justice to sell guns and transfer to a Calif FFL but each year there are fewer and fewer FFL's in CA and I bet the crime has not dropped a bit. Just wondering if anyone else out there hated paypal as much as I do. I have used Gpal and despite some people that have had problems I have been fortunate and had no problems at all and unlike Ebay who I think owns Paypal Gunbroker allows you to charge 3 or 4% to recoupe some of your loss as everybody gets a peice of your sale till there is nothing left.
    edited November -1
    paypal sent me a survey
    so I blasted them.
    early today, I get am email.
    they want to solve my problem.
    they want me to open another account
    like hell I will
    money order, I hate to do it, they are slow.
    But I'll be damn if they are getting anymore
    money off my dealings
    edited November -1
    I closed my paypal account, they sent
    me a check for .45 cent, the stamp cost them.
    I should frame it.
    edited November -1
    I have just closed my account with these people and would strongly suggest everyone reading this to do the same. You have to draw the line somewhere there are others out there who dont feel it is their place to tell me or you what to spend our money on.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I prefer to handle my own transactions, dont need a third party, beside,s I have heard stories, just another way to get your money...

If a seller cant wait a couple days for the money, then I dont deal with them.

Same as when I sell at these auctions,, MONEY ORDERS ONLY

Pepe_stand3.jpg

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"

Blue_star-eagle.gif
  • HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Used PayPal for MANY transactions; no problems. Have not experienced what others have. Nice & smooth; no trips to post office/bank. There is a day or two delay from time of posting PayPal to charge hitting my bank, but that's not a problem.

It's not what you know that gets you in trouble, it's what you know that just ain't so!
    Resident Pyrrhonist
  • fergusonmorse392fergusonmorse392 Member Posts: 432 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fast & Easy no problems.
    Seller get his money right away, paypal charges him 2.9% service fee, or less, they offer other seller services.
    buyer pays nothing.
  • interstatepawnllcinterstatepawnllc Member Posts: 9,390
    edited November -1
    Paypal ROCKZ!!

"If your gonna be stupid, go find a democrat."
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PayPal has always worked well for me...

Guns only have two enemies: Rust and Liberals....
  • woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just upgraded so I could accept credit card payments. It's free to use it for payment and I believe you don't have to give them your bank acct # unless you are receiving money. The big advantage, I ship immediately at auctions end. If you are selling more than two or three things at a time, it's a real pain to keep track of stuff. With PayPal it's done and over with. If you send me a check, it takes 2-3 days to get here, my bank takes 10 business days to clear it, then 2-3 days for you to get it. That could add up to 2 weeks. A postal money order will still take up to a week for your stuff to get there. With PayPal you got your stuff in 3 days max because I live right next to the post office. As soon as I get the email that you've paid, the stuff is gone.

Even with the 3% it's a good deal for sellers. If I went through my local bank to take credit cards, I'd have to rent the machine, They nail me 4%, more for Amex or Discover. Besides that because I'm running my business from my home the bank won't let me take credit cards through them.

The thing to remember for a buyer though is, it's free.

Woods
  • 358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Tried paypal and went back tO US POSTAL MONEY ORDERS will not use anything other than USPMO. If I have it figured right PayPal sytill owes me $3.78 not worth the hassel been over two years.[:(!]

SUPPORT SHOOTING AND RELOADING HELP TEACH OTHERS<P>
  • sjc1sjc1 Member Posts: 130
    edited November -1
    I have used PayPal and have had no problems but then I only use it for small transactions, under $100.00. If you go to this link you will find individuals that have a different opinion:http://www.paypalwarning.com/Default.htm
    edited November -1
    OK, members. Thank you all very much. (Still don't know for sure what I'll do, but at least I know more than I did!)[:D]

The second childhood is a lot more fun than the first!!
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,675 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've went through several thousand dollars through paypal - both as a seller and as a buyer. As a seller, it hurts a little (especially on big ticket items), but the money is now, there's no waiting and wondering if the buyer actually sent it. It gives a LITTLE protection between the buyer and seller, and if you sign up for the debit card, you can access your money quickly.

I recommend paypal. Just keep track of your account, it isn't any different than a bank in that respect.

It doesn't matter what you shoot, just shoot it well...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.