In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

NEW? handgun load

MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
edited July 2009 in General Discussion
I was just at Wal-Mart and found some Federal Premium Personal Defense .410 HANDGUN ammunition
The box reads .410ga.Handgun 2-1/2" Buckshot 4 pellets-000Buck
Muzzle velocity 1200fps! Personal Defense
I cut one open, inside are 4 pellets of approx. .375" dia. copper clad balls.
Does anyone know, Did they generate that muzzle velocity from a HANDGUN barrel?
I've seen these kind of speeds out of a full length barrel, but a handgun barrel?
BTW, $11.?? for a box of 20 rounds, with high-brass cases!

Comments

• VirgilCaineVirgilCaine Member Posts: 858 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All part of a bigger picture. Notice its labeled .410 HANDGUN ammunition http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/templates/ademmain.aspx?articleid=831&zoneid=2
  • MgderfMgderf Member Posts: 907 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    All part of a bigger picture. Notice its labeled .410 HANDGUN ammunition http://democrats.assembly.ca.gov/templates/ademmain.aspx?articleid=831&zoneid=2

THANK YOU for that link. THAT aspect did not occur to me![:(!]
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    000 is .36 in diameter..
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mgderf

THANK YOU for that link. THAT aspect did not occur to me![:(!]

This is also being eyeballed on the federal level. In the full text if adopted, will limit you to 50 rounds of ammo per month regardless of Cal. if it fits into a hand gun. (CA)...
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    didnt know it was new, relabeled maybe but not new
  • shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,231 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    didnt read the link above so i wont comment on it, but the reason for the new federal ammunition 410 "handgun" is because most of the .410 loads on the market are for the shotguns with slower burning powder meant for approx. 24 inch barrels. when shot from a handgun the powder does not burn fast enough resulting in much slower velocities. with the popularity of the taurus judge and other various .410 handguns federal ammo put in a more suitable powder made to burn fully in the shorter barrels resulting in higher velocities out of a handguns.

sorry, theres NO government conspiracy on this one.
    edited November -1
    quote:sorry, theres NO government conspiracy on this one.

Lets just say I told you so- the legislation is a blanket coverall.
    edited November -1

Lets just say I told you so-

so you think federal ammunition is in on the conspiracy[:0]

just because the idiots in the government are trying to pass another stupid @ss law does not mean the same thing as federal ammunition seeing an open niche in a growing market and specifically making .410 for handgun.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    you do know most handgun powder is shot gun powder
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shootuadeal

Lets just say I told you so-

so you think federal ammunition is in on the conspiracy[:0]

just because the idiots in the government are trying to pass another stupid @ss law does not mean the same thing as federal ammunition seeing an open niche in a growing market and specifically making .410 for handgun.

shootuadeal- your post is 100% valid its the labeling of the ammo that's under legislation The feds are looking at a blanket.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1911a1fan
    you do know most handgun powder is shot gun powder

yes most are interchangable. i guess i should have phrased it that federal "tuned" the ammunition for use in shorter barrels. sorry for the confusion.
    edited November -1
    (Sacramento) - Assembly Bill 962, authored by Assemblymember Kevin de Le?n (D-Los Angeles), was approved today by the Senate Public Safety Committee. AB 962 has already been approved by the State Assembly. Following the Committee's hearing and vote, Assemblymember de Le?n said, "We're one step closer to giving law enforcement agencies another tool they need to get armed and dangerous criminals off the streets."

AB 962 directs all handgun ammunition vendors statewide to keep records of ammunition sales and make them available to law enforcement. The bill also requires handgun ammunition sales to be conducted in face-to-face transactions to avoid sales to minors and limit the ability of criminals to make untraceable ammunition purchases. Additionally, the bill closes a dangerous loophole in the law by prohibiting the sale of ammunition to criminals and gang members subject to a gang injunction. AB 962 also requires handgun ammunition vendors to be licensed by the Department of Justice, for employees that handle such ammunition to clear a criminal background check, and for ammunition to be safely stored like cigarettes and certain cold medicines.