In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Today, I lost the Best Friend I ever had,

danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited April 2006 in General Discussion
As most of you guys know , my wife and I rodeo'd for several years, we also raised Aust Shep Dogs.
My old dog as I called him was named Cheyenne Gambler Little
He was born 7-11-1992 He left us this evening about 6:30 4-30-2006
He had a very full life an was the Best friend I ever had, he could work cattle, gaurd the property, served as a papa dog to 4 litters of puppy, some of which can be found on major ranchs around the US & some moved as far as Germany. He Grand fathers on both sides were ranked as the #1 & #2 Aust Shep. in the world by ASCA. Both were champion show dogs.
Cheyenne was also shown & never placed lower than 2 in any class, an won Best Puppy at the St Louis, Mo {Troy,Mo} ASCA show.
Lately Arth. had set in an he could barely get around , the last couple days he couldn't stand with out my or barbs help.
We set up with him round the clock for the last week, as we felt the end nearing and did not want him to be alone. He had 2 pups here at the house, Lakota who is 10 now & Riggin who is 9
Cheyenne's youngest pup, Buck, passed away Jan 6th of this year.
I'm not sure how much more I can lose without going insane.
For you all that have never known a true friend such as Cheyenne, I feel truly sorry for you.
My wife Barb, hernated a disk in her back & is set to be operated on this week in Columbia, Mo. so when I buried Cheyenne , she couldn't walk down with me. God, I hope none of you have to feel what we felt today.
We, Barb & I don't have kids of our own, so our dogs are like our children.
below find a picture of "CHEYENNE GAMBLER LITTLE" My best friend.
Thank You
Dan
Mar12_10.jpg

Comments

• Options
    William81William81 Member Posts: 24,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss...a good dog is truly a great friend.
  • Options
    rovrmanrovrman Member Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although I'm not a dog person, I do have kids so I'm terribly sorry for your loss.
    Joe
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    I know he will be missed. You have my sympathy.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss; they give love so freely and ask nothing in return but to be loved. We should live so as well.
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss,he is beautiful.[:(]
  • Options
    shootlowshootlow Member Posts: 5,425
    edited November -1
    I am sorry for you loss
    the loss of a friend is hard
  • Options
    SLIDER-in-KYSLIDER-in-KY Member Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss. A lot of people can't understand this, but our pets are like children to us. I lost an Airedale in 1996 that was absolutely the best "friend" I ever had. He went through a lot of crap by my side.
  • Options
    DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cheyenne's spirit will always be with you, and the memory of all your days together is his gift for all your days ahead. I am so very sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,353 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    So sorry to hear of your loss. Dogs have a special place in heaven.
  • Options
    zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    He will be with you forever. I'm sorry - i know what it feels like, too.
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss..[:(] Bull
  • Options
    matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Take care Dan, and good luck with Barbs surgery.
  • Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss. I lost my Yellow Lab to arthritis about six weeks ago. I don't think it's something you can get over, but gets less painful with time. No dog can ever replace him, but you can get attached to another dog. I have an Australian Shepherd puppy now, and she has already caused me to smile a few times. The only thing worse than loosing such a friend is never having had one. I hope you can find another friend.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    turtles11756turtles11756 Member Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CLINTFCLINTF Member Posts: 735 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My condolances. His pups may fill his duties but will never take his place.
  • Options
    usar1usar1 Member Posts: 405 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss.
  • Options
    danlittledanlittle Member Posts: 2,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thank you all, for the really kind words.
    Dan & Barb Little
  • Options
    dennisjohnsondennisjohnson Member Posts: 471 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's hard to lose your freind...mine of 14 years passed last fall...sorry for your loss Dan. Take care
  • Options
    steeltoe1978steeltoe1978 Member Posts: 3,248
    edited November -1
    It sounds to me like he had a full and happy life. I am very sorry to hear about your loss. When you think about him, remember the good times you had and be happy that he came into your life.
  • Options
    kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not much can be said, only someone that has lost a friend like that can understand ...
    ... unfortunatly I do, and will again.

Sorry for your loss ...
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • Options
    mondmond Member Posts: 6,458
    edited November -1
    sorry to hear.
    i lost afew ,had this family 18 yrs, it dont get any easier each time!!

gunpics086.jpg

regards
  • Options
    Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have my condolences. Sorry for your loss
  • Options
    rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    sorry man, it must be tough.
  • Options
    Young Ns GirlYoung Ns Girl Member Posts: 348 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dan & Barb,
    So sorry to hear of your loss. We have an Aust Shep/Blue Heeler(sp?) who is deaf and has epilepsy. We have probably spent $1200 or more on a "mutt" in the last year just trying to regulate her medications to control her seizures, but for us there is no choice because she is one of us. Our girl has given us many warm and happy memories.
    May the memories of happier times with Cheyenne Gambler Little warm your heart and be with you always.

Mond,
    Are those Mastiffs?
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss. We just put down our beloved 12-year old cocker spaniel, my hunting buddy, on Feb 26th.
  • Options
    whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've known your pain and offer my most sincere regrets. I'm pleased you have others like him to help you through the next few weeks.

Clouder..
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,951 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Losing a family member like that is just way too hard. I am so very sorry for your loss, but remember all the good years together, and that will last a lifetime.

Best of luck with the surgery in my home town!

He Dog
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to hear about your friend. All dogs go to heaven.
  • Options
    NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Im sorry to hear of your loss, I can relate my Dobermans are like children to me. Im really sorry for you all.

Regards!!
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I am so sorry for your loss. My animals are like part of the family to me, and I'll be facing the same thing soon with the oldest. When he leaves, I will miss him greatly. Even in poor health and old age, he greets me at the door every time I come home with tail wiggling and eyes glowing. He can't jump very much any more, but he still tries. After 15 minutes of loving, he slips off to get some more sleep.

If only friends were that faithful.
  • Options
    tacking1tacking1 Member Posts: 3,844
    edited November -1
    I wish they lived longer than we do. It hurts to have them leave us.

Thinking about you.
  • Options
    COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...Sorry, it's a very tough thing to go through,...they love, and take you for who you are, no questions, I'm truly sorry...he was a handsome guy...[;)]

ani-texas-flag.gif
  • Options
    gagirlgagirl Member Posts: 5,408
    edited November -1
    sorry for your loss. HUGS
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    Sorry for your loss. Last April, I had to put down my German Short-haired pointer. He too was born in '92 and outlived some of his offspring. The memories can't be replaced, but I now have another best friend. PS: Good luck w/wife's surgery.
  • Options
    dclocodcloco Member Posts: 2,967
    edited November -1
    Dan,
    Our thoughts are with you and yours.

Be it known, Gambler is still guarding the ranch, minding the kids & puppies, and reminding you what you forgot!!!
  • Options
    spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    My condolences. Those once in a lifetime dogs are hard to let go. I had to let one go about 9 years ago, but still think of him several times a day. I was fortunate though, and didn't have to watch him suffer any. We were about to leave for a little day trip and he just fell over, most likely a heart attack. Odd part is, the night before he came and layed down on his side by me and kept pawing at me with one front paw. This wasn't all that unusual but he just Kept doing it. I finally said "he trying to tell me something". We had quite the rapport though, and I guess inside I knew what he was telling me, but just couldn't accept it. Again, my condolences. Hope all goes well for your wife's surgery.
  • Options
    dlrjjdlrjj Member Posts: 5,528 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Those days are always tough, and seem to come all too frequently with dogs. Condolences.
    Tax evasion is illegal, tax avoidance is an art form.
  • Options
    CubsloverCubslover Member Posts: 18,601 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what we would do if our dog died. I'm terribly sorry for your loss. Best of wishes.
    Half of the lives they tell about me aren't true.
  • Options
    axlerfanaxlerfan Member Posts: 713 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can relate, so I would like to extend my condolences to you and yours. Perhaps Cheyenne will meet up with my Orson and Lucky dogs...