In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I cant even join the national guard

Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
I have a good job but I feel like I am missing something in my life and I feel like my skills are dwindling away to nothing. I called the national guard and wanted to serve my country alittle more, they told me they are not doing enlistments with medical waivers. Now that makes me feel even worse. I dont want join the full time military and the national guard would have been great. A great way to start the weekend.

Comments

• matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Call 'em back and tell them you've already got the AR for the job.[;)][:D]
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    I wish it was that easy I have the colt 6920. I have always pictured myself being a police officer or personal security for the state department or some type of law enforcemnt or fed work, not being a conductor for the railroad. Dont get me wrong its good buy its so easy a caveman can do it. Its the type of job where all you do is keep people safe and collect tickets, and its not really that exciting.
  • BaseJumperBaseJumper Member Posts: 5,570
    edited November -1
    quote:I called the national guard and wanted to serve my country alittle more, they told me they are not doing enlistments with medical waivers.

That has changed from a few years ago. I remember a call from the MEPPS asking me to sign a waiver for a felon to be assigned to my Guard unit. Did not know there was such a thing.

Nope, I would not sign it.
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Just wait until this time next year and try again.

I was reading a report in the National Guard magazine my son gets and all of the National guard units have cut way back on recruitment because of the economy there getting overwhelmed with young people wanting to join.

And they have put a stop to all waivers .

So give it time they will take you when they need you .
  • sundvlaa15sundvlaa15 Member Posts: 39 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    "See update below as Quote"

My Son-in-law went down to re-inlist today. He is a Master Sargeant, was up for Chief/E8, they gave his stripe to a full-time ANG member. That is supposed to be against the Rules. All Chief stripes are supposed to go to "The week-end Warriors". He believes they are doing this to retain their Full-time members.

He is the lead MSGT for 6 shops within his Unit. He turned down another Unit that wanted him as their First SGT. Maybe he should of taken that slot. He has 20 yrs so he could retire. They told him that he will not get a Bonus for RE. Two years ago his AFSC was in demand, so he would of gotten a Bonus.

This weekend he will be going through orentation for assignment to Afganastan. He volunteered to go there. Half of his unit is going to Iraq. So he wasn't needed to be in-charge of those 3 shops.

My Grandson, E-4, is going to work for his Unit for the month of Aug.
    They are paying for his College and he couldn't find work at home. He will actually make more money in that month, than he made last summer working at Safeway. He is taking his tests for NCO. Also he will graduate in January, is behind his Graduating class due to Basic/Tech School. They also wanted him to go for his Commission.
    He now tells me they offered him a Full-time position after he passes the NCO requirements. With the Job Market as it is, He may accept the Full-time position, it is an E-5 slot.
  • drsckdrsck Member Posts: 992
    edited November -1
    Depends on your age and your medical slip, but you might try the Seabees Reserve. The aren't very well known but they are a pretty good outfit. It would be a way for you to serve and there are great fringes even if you don't make twenty. But I'd highly recommend you try to make twenty 'cause of the retirement and medical. Best of luck. Let us know what happens.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    might depend on which end of the gun you want to be on when the military is used against citizens trying to regain their country...will you get a better deal under national health care & more food rations as a govt agent ???...seems the best spot to be in now is to be an illegal, maybe should try for mex citizenship
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    I reckon you could move to Texas and join the Texas State Guard.
  • Spc FergusonSpc Ferguson Member Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    im sorry to hear that man. Id much rather have someone with a medical waiver, than soldiers that are morbidly obese. Keep tryin man.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Perhaps something local instead, like sherrif's reserve officer or similar?

If all else fails, why not really help someone out and get involved with Big Brothers/Big Sisters?
  • pipe7pipe7 Member Posts: 911 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lucky_Lefty
    I wish it was that easy I have the colt 6920. I have always pictured myself being a police officer or personal security for the state department or some type of law enforcemnt or fed work, not being a conductor for the railroad. Dont get me wrong its good buy its so easy a caveman can do it. job wher Its the type of e all you do is keep people safe and collect tickets, and its not really that exciting.

Lucky what are u complaining about, your job is important the day you forget that, someone gets hurt. [;)]
  • Joe DreesJoe Drees Member Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Coast Guard Auxilliary. Also there are many local organizations that support military and their families. Ever try to explain to your wife how to unclog a drain from 12,000 miles away? Also the Sea Cadets, Junior Marines, Civil Air Patrol.
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Air National Guard wouldn't take me either. They said at my age I didn't bring any professional skill sets that they were looking for.
  • Lucky_LeftyLucky_Lefty Member Posts: 7,971
    edited November -1
    I emailed him and told him to please keep my email and let me know when they will be accepting waivers.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    don,t feel to bad, some just don,t get in. it don,t make you any less a man. in my time 40 odd years ago the draft would have taken you and be glad to get you. i had 20-400 uncorrected eye sight and flat feet and had rumaticfever as a boy and i was classified 1-A,and away i went. eastbank.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sundvlaa15
    My Son-in-law went down to re-inlist today. He is a Master Sargeant, was up for E8, they gave his stripe to a full-time ANG member. That is supposed to be against the Rules. All E8 stripes are supposed to go to "The week-end Warriors". He believes they are doing this to retain their Full-time members. He has been moving around due to having his old unit disbanded two years ago.

He is the lead MSGT for 6 shops within his Unit. He turned down another Unit that wanted him as their First SGT. Maybe he should of taken that slot. Another unit wanted him also, with E8 as the carrot. These requests are from his former Commanding Officers. He has 20 yrs so he could retire. They told him that he will not get a Bonus for RE. Two years ago his AFSC was in demand, so he would of gotten a Bonus. My daughter hasn't called yet after the Orentation so I don't know wheather he went 4 or 6 years.

This weekend he will be going through orentation for assignment to Afganastan. He volunteered to go there. Half of his unit is going to Iraq and blended with Regular un its. So he had the option to stay home. Well he's a doer not a sitter.

My Grandson, E-4, is going to work for his Unit for the month of Aug.
    They are paying for his College and he couldn't find work at home. He will actually make more money in that month, than he made last summer working at Safeway. He is taking his tests for NCO. Also he will graduate in January, is behind his Graduating class due to Basic/Tech School. They also wanted him to go for his Commission.
    He now tells me they offered him a Full-time position after he passes the NCO requirements. His re-enlistment is a little over a year away. With the Job Market as it is, He may accept the Full-time position, it is an E-5 slot, they also threw out the carrot of an accelerated promotion if he takes the full-time slot. I think due to having to pass on his commission.
    edited November -1
    For some reason I can't get this to go in the previous post!

There are several, not well know fact, State Guard units.