In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Lock and Load with R Lee Ermey is on

hehatemehehateme Member Posts: 724
edited August 2009 in General Discussion
History channel right now, the history of machine guns. Love this show!

Comments

• Bubba Jr.Bubba Jr. Member Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Set up my TiVo for a season pass the other day.[:)]
  • ripcord55ripcord55 Member Posts: 332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    their showing cannons this one and they have a neighbor of mine shooting the napolean and parrot guns.
  • Duce1Duce1 Member Posts: 9,329
    edited November -1
    Take note of the Gatling gun when it is shown shooting the watermelon the first slow motion part shows a bullet hitting the watermelon sideways !

Must have been a bad load ?
  • HandLoadHandLoad Member Posts: 15,998
    edited November -1
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Watched the machine gun segment first, now watching the artillery segment.

One thing. Those Civil War Reenactors were NOT following safety procedures when loading their cannons. ALL personell at the front of the cannon are supposed to be wearing wool jackets and leather gloves!
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw the water cooled M1917 in 30-06, and the Tommy Gun.
    Great tv!
    Damn I would like to fire those guns.
  • FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I enjoy the subject matter, but R Lee kind of get's on my nerves after awhile.
  • dave40glockdave40glock Member Posts: 448 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cut all the chitter chatter son some of us would like to shot those guns how about that.
  • KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Fatstrat
    I enjoy the subject matter, but R Lee kind of get's on my nerves after awhile.

agreed. its amusing and novel for a few minutes, but shortly therafter i realize its mostly just him yelling a lot and trying to build a life around a movie role.
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Rebel_James
    ALL personell at the front of the cannon are supposed to be wearing wool jackets and leather gloves!

I've never shot a cannon. The gloves I get, I think. What are the wool jackets for?
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by tomh.
    quote:Originally posted by Rebel_James
    ALL personell at the front of the cannon are supposed to be wearing wool jackets and leather gloves!

I've never shot a cannon. The gloves I get, I think. What are the wool jackets for?

Leather gloves and wool jackets are worn for protection in case of premature firing of the cannon.

Even firing blanks, the black powder charge is real and can cause severe burns.

Several years ago at a Civil War reenactment in Georgia, a cannon crew skipped the swabbing after firing a round. When the next round was rammed down the barrel, sparks from the previous round set it off, shooting the rammer onto the battlefield. The soldier holding the rammer was not seriously injured because he was wearing the proper clothing.

The owner of the cannon was banned from reenacting for the incident.

• jeffie076jeffie076 Member Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I liked the machinegun show but he missed some of the other fun guns, the Greasegun, air cooled browning 30cal, m14, m16, SAW to name a few.
  • mjbmxzmjbmxz Member Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Gunny's still got it. I like the show myself, hope it stays on for a while. :D
  • DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by hehateme
    History channel right now, the history of machine guns. Love this show!

I was going to mention this. That was a good show.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjbmxz
    The Gunny's still got it. I like the show myself, hope it stays on for a while. :D

Yeah he still got that annoing caffeine-hyped voice....

[V]
  • GRIZZLY17GRIZZLY17 Member Posts: 1,676
    edited November -1
    Has anyone noticed that it looks like he uses 9mm or 45auto casings for ear plugs? If anyone has episodes still recorded go back and look at his ears. Funny stuff.. maybe some one makes ear plugs that look like shell casings IDK. There's a real good shot in the new one about tanks. Check it out.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    I've often used 40cal bullets as earplugs myself, works like a charm.

I watched the machinegun episode, and got a little annoyed with the little information blurb just before they showed each gun. They were giving rate of fire, range, etc and the part that annoyed me was the range. The ranges were just crazy, it was like some were listed as maximum effective range while others were listing the range that bullet would actually travel. Fo example the thompson was listed as 50 yards and I think it was the 1919 that was listed as something like 5000 yrds.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I saw him yesterday in that WW1 tank.
    He had on the funny leather helmet of that era.
    He blew a hole through a concrete wall with the little tank cannon.

That is what I like about this show, is seeing a guy fire all these exotic weapons. I would love to shoot a tripod mounted machine gun, or a tank cannon.
    Blowing up watermelons and concrete blocks, it is stuff we used to do with M-80s as kids.
    I like Sgt. Ermey, it is a great show.
  • ripley16ripley16 Member Posts: 4,834
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mjbmxz

I think Gunny should host Family Feud. I can hear him now...

"NO, wrong answer maggot, drop and give me twenty!"
    "Are you stupid?"
    " I can't heeeear yooou! You got a hairball stuck in that pie hole?"

He'd be more entertaining than the last couple of guys.