In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What the heck is a Mustang anyhow?

jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
edited June 2007 in General Discussion
I don't feel quite right calling it a muscle car- unless a Shelby or other overpowered one- or a sports car compared to Porsche, etc.- or a sedan- what is it officially?

Comments

• spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    Wild horse that roams the plains.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    It was a muscle car for the working man. Call it a sport coupe.
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]--It was labled the--

---PONY CAR---

--[xx(][xx(]--JIMBO
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Mustang? Nick name for the P-51 Pursuit Fighter of WWII. [8D]
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A guy at work has one. I see it as a car with good looks, but little
    in terms of performance.
  • Warpig883Warpig883 Member Posts: 6,459
    edited November -1
    It will always be known as the winner of the muscle car war between the Mustang and the camaro.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Can you still buy a Mustang with a 4 cyl? [:(][xx(]
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Mach 1, Boss, Saleen, Roush
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,947 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Introduced injurious wildlife, orginating on the high steppe of Asia. Doesn't belong here except on totally destroyed habitat like the Sunset Strip.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    It was SUPPOSED to be a working man's pseudo-Vette, VW style!

... never liked them much.

XKE ... THERE'S where it was at![8D]
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    It was not a muscle car, it was a PONY car, and defined the genre - including the Barracuda, which came out before it.

Doug
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    It was not a muscle car, it was a PONY car, and defined the genre - including the Barracuda, which came out before it.

Doug

+1

it's a pony car.

Ben
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

Last year of the 4 cylinder(although it did have 8 spark plugs) Mustang was 1993.
  • frankcastle13frankcastle13 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd call it a muscle car. Thats like saying a Camaro isn't a muscle car.
  • scottsmach03scottsmach03 Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jonk
    I don't feel quite right calling it a muscle car- unless a Shelby or other overpowered one- or a sports car compared to Porsche, etc.- or a sedan- what is it officially?

Why wouldn't you want to call it a Muscle car for? Its is the definition of a muscle car. I have a 2003 mustang mach 1 that put down a little over 300 to the wheels, and 317 tq. Thats 350+hp and 365tq at the flywheel. The car runs constistant mid 12's at 110+. Tell me what 50's-80's "muscle car" can do this stock? I would call it a affordable muscle car...
    edited November -1
    The REAL muscle cars could all meet or beat those numbers.

The accepted definition of a muscle car by those who own them, is a big block engine in an intermediate body - GTO Tempest/389, Dodge Charger/440 or 426 HEMI, Ford Fairlane/390.

Camaros and Barracudas, Firebirds and Challengers, in general were small block engines(I know there were some big blocks), in sporty compact cars.

The phrase "pony" cars was coined to define sporty compacts. It was defined by the Mustang - "Mustang" being a pony.

Present day (or any day, for that matter) Camaros and Mustangs are not "Muscle Cars". That term defined the power train/body configuration, no necessarily the performance.

Any questions ??

Doug
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Warpig883
    It will always be known as the winner of the muscle car war between the Mustang and the camaro.

Umm negative.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Kodiakk

Umm negative.

Well then I will trot on down to the dealer and buy a new Mustang. And you trot on down to the dealer and buy a new camaro.
    And we will race to see.

oh I forgot the camaro is no longer in production (for many reasons)
    LMAO hahahahahahaha

Like I said- the Mustang won the war.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by kimi
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    The REAL muscle cars could all meet or beat those numbers.

The accepted definition of a muscle car by those who own them, is a big block engine in an intermediate body - GTO Tempest/389, Dodge Charger/440 or 426 HEMI, Ford Fairlane/390.

Camaros and Barracudas, Firebirds and Challengers, in general were small block engines(I know there were some big blocks), in sporty compact cars.

The phrase "pony" cars was coined to define sporty compacts. It was defined by the Mustang - "Mustang" being a pony.

Present day (or any day, for that matter) Camaros and Mustangs are not "Muscle Cars". That term defined the power train/body configuration, no necessarily the performance.

Any questions ??

Doug

Offhand, I'd say that is a pretty good definition, Doug. Typically, though, I do not think the GTO was in the same league with the others you mention. I had a '64 High Performance 289 Fairlane 500 with four-on-the-floor that would give the GTO fits, and chew up 350 Chevys. This old Fairlane came stock with a 389 rear end, solid lifters, an experimental clutch, and no telling what else. The Mustangs equipped as such were fast, too, and the little '64(?) Ford Falcon so equipped was downright wicked.
    What's next?
  • KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1

Umm negative.

Well then I will trot on down to the dealer and buy a new Mustang. And you trot on down to the dealer and buy a new camaro.
    And we will race to see.

LMAO hahahahahahaha

Smoked all kinds of Mustangs in my Camaro back when I was younger and gave a crap when someone roared their engine next to me. I got really spanked by a after market Cobra, but then it was a Cobra and the engine I'm sure had had alot of aftermarket work done. I have a 2000 I bought brand new and haven't had to work on it at all. It's up over 97,000 miles and still my daily driver.

Personal preference on which is better. I can't stand driving a Mustang, but my Camaro is alot of fun.

So agian I feel ummm no negative Mustangs aren't poop.
  • kimikimi Member Posts: 44,723 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "The Cobra" was and is a spanking legend!
    What's next?
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cartod

... it makes a nice target ... almost as good as a Pinto [}:)]1
  • RaupleminzeRaupleminze Member Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Umm negative.

And we will race to see.

LMAO hahahahahahaha

The Camaro is going to be released again soon. Keep in mind that from 1993 and on with the introduction of the LT-1 iron block aluminum head small block that the Z-28's were * slapping the Mustang GT's and the Cobra's. And then there was the SS incase you really wanted to make a point that GM was faster. All of this being done with a old pushrod V-8, dated technology versus Ford's modular 4.6 DOHC motor that came about in the mid 90's. This motor could'nt beat the LT-1 or the later LS-1 until they put an Eaton roots style blower on the Cobra in 2003. Point being they had to put a poweradder on there car to beat GM.

Oh and I agree that they are not muscle cars, the term gets thrown around to much. The Mustang, Camaro, and Challenger/Cuda were pony cars..........
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    The Mustang was designed to be the retired school teachers sunday go to meeting car. The kids took it to the sports car realm.
    edited November -1
    quote:Keep in mind that from 1993 and on with the introduction of the LT-1 iron block aluminum head small block that the Z-28's were * slapping the Mustang GT's and the Cobra's. And then there was the SS incase you really wanted to make a point that GM was faster. All of this being done with a old pushrod V-8, dated technology versus Ford's modular 4.6 DOHC motor that came about in the mid 90's. This motor could'nt beat the LT-1 or the later LS-1 until they put an Eaton roots style blower on the Cobra in 2003. Point being they had to put a poweradder on there car to beat GM.

They both had good and bad years and fast cars, some years Ford was faster and some years GM was faster. Depended on the years and how the cars were equipped. This is a moot point we could argue all day. However, the fact that only one of them is still in production is NOT a moot point and is the basis for declaring a winner in the muscle/pony car wars.
    edited November -1
    Your "winner".................

f4074b3203d9e5d95a224ae0f32082a0.th.jpg
  • goldslammergoldslammer Member Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the best Mustang ever made, why you ask ? Cause it's mine! [:D]

[img][/img]scan-1.jpg

And I always refered to them as a Pony cars.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    "The Cobra" was and is a spanking legend!
    And rightfully so. I even love the newer kits, but most of
    them have chevy motors..that much the better.[:D][:D]
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    Here's a real Mustang for you.

stang.jpg
  • OJMayoOJMayo Member Posts: 704 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I raced mustangs for 8 years in FFW and NMRA. The 1985-1995 mustang is in my opinion the fastest and best hot rod for the cheapest amount of money every built. It took very little money to make them FAST. I am in no way a Chevy basher but the mustang is just a great car to modify.
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    Mustang is a province in Nepal.
    edited November -1
    Last time I saw one I was pulling away from it in my 70 Dodge.............twice. I am impressed by the SVT cars and the two seat Cobra's. But a 5 speed GT 'vert.........please
    edited November -1
    All I was saying that a car with 300 HP in this day and age doesnt do much for me. As far as your pro-street van thing.......whatever floats your boat.
    edited November -1
    Older versus newer.

Is there really anything that needs to be said ??

Hand me that distributor wrench, will you ??

1/2" 45 degree bend, box end.

Chips ?? We don't need no stinkin' chips.

Doug