In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Longest shot you ever made.

T1jetmechT1jetmech Member Posts: 224 ✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
I had two long range shots today. I took out a nutria at 304 yds today and then took out a beaver at 360 yds. I am shooting a Rem XR-100 in 22-250 with a Burris 6-12x50 scope. What are some of your most memorable shots?

Comments

• 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    6 inches...and I missed.

Actually, it was 1000 meters (yes, 1 kilometer) with a Mk 19 grenade launcher. Hit the target with 4 out of 8 rounds. The first 4 were fired in pairs and were used for ranging shots.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I took out a Tiger at 16,231 meters with my .22 single shot, open sighted TACTICAL ASSAULT rifle. Same shot also killed a couple of Nuns on the way.

D.
  • 300Win_Mag300Win_Mag Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I took out a Tiger at 16,231 meters with my .22 single shot, open sighted TACTICAL ASSAULT rifle. Same shot also killed a couple of Nuns on the way.

D.

Wow, did Chuck Norris sell you this rifle? Also, you forgot to mention that it was a .22 SHORT.
    edited November -1
    Now by Nuns, don't you mean missionaries trying to spread the Word of God to those godless heathens throughout Africa?
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Savage 24 DL 22 mag over 410. Took out a squirrel at 175 yards with open sights while bench resting on a fallen log.

The squirrel was headed down a walnut. I aimed at the head and hit in the shoulder. Wish my eyes were still that good; I've been in bifocals for 3 years now.
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • p64makp64mak Member Posts: 384 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I took a coyote about 2 years ago with a Swede mauser at just over a quarter mile.

I promptly looked at my buddy and said "Did that just happen?"
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    1,500+ with a Ma Duce, tracers at dusk 4'x8' sheet of plywood.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    2 miles! Took a T-72 in a M1A1 Abrams![:D]
  • 300Win_Mag300Win_Mag Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Somewhere in my house there are pictures of what is left of a prairie dog shot in Nebraska with a .22-250 at just under 50 yards. There is not much left. [:D] Also, from that same hunt there were a few dogs taken at over 700 yds with a .243.
  • SFC HallSFC Hall Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos with a rifle shot at a thousand yards in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at... Well, see you tomorrow.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by *_r_done

I thought you were a truck driver, not a tank gunner....
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7

You are right! But don't I get some credit since without my fuel they would not have been ablr to pull the trigger?

After all I only took half the credit since the Abrams can hit from 4 miles![:D]
  • SFC HallSFC Hall Member Posts: 71 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now for the truth. a woodchuck at 750 yards with a Ruger M77 in 7mm Rem Mag with bipod. man I miss those days.

While on the 1 Infantry Division rifle team, we repeatedly fired at 500m at a 10" bull, I seldom missed. Surprisingly when I went through a mini 2 week sniper course, we never fired over 300m. go figure
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    killed a running p-dog @ 250
    250 is nothing still, but running !
  • cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Best luck shot was 550 yard coyote on a still cold morning ,I was shooting a old Ruger 77V in .308 that ROBAR had reworked. Federal gold match 168 gr under an old Redfield 6x18 scope,I used a 12" pine as a standing rest and put the dog on the top of the bottom thick post(duplex).It wilted him.I could not believe I hit him and had a witness I would have never told of it.I started out using the scope glass to see if it was a calf as I could not make the coyote out with my naked eye.Im sure of the distance because it was across a dirt road and half a lot of land.
    edited November -1
    The tank doesn't need fuel to shoot the gun, does it? Last time I checked it wasn't absolutly necissary....
  • EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My longest shot?

I asked the wife to marry me and she did. [:D]

I will say it was a L O N G shot .....
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    900 Miles . I drove up North and took out a groundhog with a shotgun in my friends back yard.
    edited November -1
    The tank doesn't need fuel to shoot the gun, does it? Last time I checked it wasn't absolutly necissary....
    It is nessisary if he don't want to be a sitting duck![:D]
  • Chief ShawayChief Shaway Member, Moderator Posts: 6,191 ******
    edited November -1
    93 yards at a doe with a Ruger Super Redhawk 44 mag. with a 2 power Leupold scope off hand.
  • Ba SardoBa Sardo Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Longest shot I ever made was center of gravity shot at 50 yards with a GP100 (4 inch barrel if I recall correctly). Only about two inches off from dead center.
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    Did you notice all yards are evan yards no 542.3 ft.??? [}:)]
  • MosinNagantDiscipleMosinNagantDisciple Member Posts: 2,612
    edited November -1
    2 miles. A Boeing 747 taking off from JFK, using my ultra-deadly, armor-piercing, cop-killer .50 BMG terrorist rifle.

I use the same rifle to blow up oil refineries and derail freight trains.
  • Ba SardoBa Sardo Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by moonshine
    Did you notice all yards are evan yards no 542.3 ft.??? [}:)]

Okay! I admit it! It was only 149.87 feet! I was just trying to impress everyone with my shooting, so I exaggerrated!

Actually, I only know it was 50 yards since the range had yardage marked. [:D]
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MosinNagantDisciple
    2 miles. A Boeing 747 taking off from JFK, using my ultra-deadly, armor-piercing, cop-killer .50 BMG terrorist rifle.

I use the same rifle to blow up oil refineries and derail freight trains.

You for got passing asteroids-[:D]
  • dcinffxvadcinffxva Member Posts: 2,830 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SFC Hall
    When I was 19, I did a guy in Laos with a rifle shot at a thousand yards in high wind. Maybe eight or even ten guys in the world could have made that shot. It's the only thing I was ever good at... Well, see you tomorrow.

I guess we should register you as a Lethal Weapon [:D]
  • cattle buyercattle buyer Member Posts: 532 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I gotta tell you folks about a dove shot I made,The shoot was about over (beer time) and I stuck a #5 hi brass 16 ga bullet in my mod 12and waited on a super high straight on shot, lead the bird long as a fatladys dream shot and one pellet must have hit the bird in the head as it came down like a helicopter,picked him up stuck him in my vest,took my cap off and took a bow,the damn bird came to life and flew out of my vest back,I threw my gun up an emptied the pump(probably no plug in those days) and never cut a feather!
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    only 300 yards... I qualified Expert. (and the targets only stay up for 3-5 seconds)

I did shoot some stuff from 10,000 feet (Alt.) once, lets see thats about 3333 yards...
  • renneckrenneck Member Posts: 273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 32". Had to wash her hair.[}:)][8][:D][}:)][8][:D]
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1

You are right! But don't I get some credit since without my fuel they would not have been ablr to pull the trigger?

After all I only took half the credit since the Abrams can hit from 4 miles![:D]

Dang fuelers!! Always trying to ride our coat tails to glory!! I miss my tank!!
  • jray4059jray4059 Member Posts: 266 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There sure is some BS in these post huh?
  • BT3BT3 Member Posts: 1,913 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Took out a chipmonk once with my trusty Daisy at about 20 yards ! [:D]
  • moonshinemoonshine Member Posts: 8,471
    edited November -1
    [:I][:I][:I][:I][:0]
  • guntech59guntech59 Member Posts: 23,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Going to the range Sunday. I'll get back to you.
  • mcasomcaso Member Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It is not much. 100yrds, gal. bleach bottle on a stick. Norinco slide over a para .45 frame kit. 7 times. That's the most consecutive rds. that thing ever fired with out failure to feed. 4 witness at $20 each. I love .45's, but not that thing.
  • mogley98mogley98 Member Posts: 18,297 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    About 280 yards, it was a par 5, I was using a driver. Oh with a gun... Let's see I don't think I've ever made a memorable long shot due mostly in part to not having anywhere long enough to shoot over 100 yards. (They won't let me shoot on the golf course hehe
    Why don't we go to school and work on the weekends and take the week off!
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the Army they don't "graduate" you from Basic unless you can Hit a Man size Target "Center Mass" at 300yds. That's just the minimum....
  • walliewallie Member Posts: 12,171
    edited November -1
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Steel rams at 200 meters with a Colt Anaconda...Creedmore position
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Up north we were hunting caribou on snow machines about 15 miles NE of Kotzebue AK. I was shooting at a group containing 4 young bull caribou.

I held steady on the first one going up a hill on the other side of a gully. when I fired my trusty 30-06 the bullet killed the second Caribou in line, hit him in the neck. The wind was gusting to about 20 MPH and the range was guessed at 200 yards. I later figured out the range was closer to 550 yards and the wind was going about 40 MPH. Can't judge didtance across the white tundra.

Makes for a humbling experience to miss by 1-1/2 caribou lengths.