In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Sheriff's Dept to auction off fully-auto M-16

warriorsfanwarriorsfan Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
The Lapeer County Sheriff's Dept is having a public auction for a fully-automatic M-16 rifle which the department purchased back in the 1970's.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070227/NEWS05/702270351/1007/NEWS

It seems they need the money. Of course, to bid, you must have a machine gun permit.

http://www.county.lapeer.org/sheriff/

Comments

• catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    quote:"Even the most reasonable gun owner doesn't want to see this kind of weapon in circulation"

They never asked me for my opinion, I consider myself reasonable.
  • medic07medic07 Member Posts: 5,222 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are more than 6,500 registered machine guns in Michigan, according to the Brady Center to Prevent Gun Violence.
    Ask them to tell you how many of those have been used in crimes...the answer...ZERO
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm holding out for when Sears starts selling them again... may have to apply for the credit card though...
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heh heh heh,
    Mike Cox, MI AG made it possible[:D][;)] Met him at the Birch Run gun show when he first ran for office.
    http://macombdaily.com/stories/010406/loc_sessa001.shtml
    Mike Sessa is a good guy also,[:D] I saw him give sara brady heck at a speach she gave a WSU several years ago.[:D]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • warriorsfanwarriorsfan Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I thought it was interesting to see a Department that actually sells guns BACK to the law-abiding public instead of melting them down, and a fully-auto at that! Has anyone ever seen a police department allow a fully-auto to re-enter circulation once they get their hands on it?
  • ljwrenchljwrench Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    Maybe the police chief in Chiska, MN can buy it so he can keep up with the rise in crime due to the proliferation of "Assault Weapons" he's encountering.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    Originally spewed by Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of Million Mom March, a gun control group.

quote:"Even the most reasonable gun owner doesn't want to see this kind of weapon in circulation,"

She better learn to speak for herself.[:(!][}:)]
  • dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by warriorsfan
    I thought it was interesting to see a Department that actually sells guns BACK to the law-abiding public instead of melting them down, and a fully-auto at that! Has anyone ever seen a police department allow a fully-auto to re-enter circulation once they get their hands on it?

The City of Pontiac, MI used to auction the confisticated guns to ffl dealers only, those were some sweet auctions[:p][;)][:D]
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • CA sucksCA sucks Member Posts: 4,310
    edited November -1
    maybe they meant circulation within gangs and other people with no respect for others or the law.

I mean they are selling it after all. If they believed no one wants the weapon in circulation, they would not be putting it in circulation.

I want as many full auto weapons in circulation among law abiding citizens as there are law abiding citizens who want full auto weapons.

I don't want weapons, money, or anything in the hands of those who would unjustly do harm unto others (or to a lesser extent, those would would break the law. Although some laws are stupid and disobeying them brings harm to no one but yourself if you get caught.)

*edit* never mind, im drunk and just now bothered to read the story, it wasnt the sherrifs dept saying "the most reasonable"

I find it odd "even the most reasonable" is that implying an unreasonable gun owner would not want it sold.

It sounds almost as if the most reasonable gun owner is least likely to object to the selling of full auto weapons.

Most of the time when you say "even the most ****" you are refering to a class most likely to oppose your point of view.

Are they subconciously admitting that reasonable people think it should be acceptable to freely trade full auto weapons?

Only unreasonable people object?
  • rayray2jsrayray2js Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, how many times have I wished I had the M-16 I carried in the Central Highlands. But $17,000? Might have to start buying Lottery tickets. No, probably not.
  • rayray2jsrayray2js Member Posts: 14 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh, how many times have I wished I had the M-16 I carried in the Central Highlands. But $17,000? Might have to start buying Lottery tickets. No, probably not.
  • matwormatwor Member Posts: 20,594
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rayray2js

You can say that again!![}:)]
  • FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jim Zumbo should bid for all of them [}:)].
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by warriorsfan
    Has anyone ever seen a police department allow a fully-auto to re-enter circulation once they get their hands on it?

Yes! seen a lot of News stories where they fail to secure it properly and it gets stolen right out of their vehicle...
  • LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by matwor
    Originally spewed by Shikha Hamilton, president of the Michigan chapter of Million Mom March, a gun control group.

quote:"Even the most reasonable gun owner doesn't want to see this kind of weapon in circulation,"

She better learn to speak for herself.[:(!][}:)]
    Is she JIM ZUMBOS ex wife or sister i cant remember?[}:)][V][:(!]
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    With squirrel season approaching that's just what I need.[;)][8D]
  • gunbunny69gunbunny69 Member Posts: 49
    edited November -1
    A few years ago when I lived in Northern Wisconsin they were cleaning out the basement of our local Courthouse/Jail and found 5 Thompsons in a case that was given to them by the Govt. in the late 40's. They were sold to the Judge (who collected class 3 firearms) for $500 each because the DA thought "No one else would be interested in them." Of course this came out AFTER. Good deal if you can get it. Mabey he will endorse this DA for Judge when he retires?