In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Worth $695 +/-?

Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
I looked at the Springfield Customshop's work order. I like the "Loaded" option and think I want it done on my pistol. The price seems to include parts and labor. I was wondering if that's a tad much. Loaded 1911's seem to go for around $700. The upside would be a custom gun (I don't care for the Coco-bolo grips; Kingwood will be used on mine.) I wanted the GD's opinion of the service, options and the idea of doing this. Thanks.

Here's a link to the Shop.

http://www.springfield-armory.com/custom.php

Comments

• Aspen79seAspen79se Member Posts: 4,707
    edited November -1
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    custom gun for what use? what will it do that a normal gun cant? use that to determine the custom guns worth.
    some shooters build guns to get an edge. whats the edge YOU NEED to do it? if nothing, its a waste of money and would be just all show and no go.
    rule of thumb, custom guns are fine tuned and prone to break downs in order to run at high tolerences. reliablity is only needed PER MATCH and then the gun is torn down and gone over by a factory paid team of support techs usually for the big name shooters.
    i use to throw away my walnut grips every year and start with fresh ones. custom guns usually get that kind of attention because so much is at stake.
    if you arent competing for big buck matches, it sounds like youre getting sucked into the black money hole of 45's.
    and im talking from experience.
    just my opinion.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
    edited November -1
    This package upgrades the sights, safety (Ambi), a refinish job and replacement of some internal parts like firing pin, extractor, etc. I got my Auto Ordnance 1911 used about 5 years ago. I haven't had any trouble with it, but I know the extractor probaly needs replaced, and some new sights wouldn't hurt either. Is the above price a fair market value for the work? I'm not 100% sure Springfield will even do it on another brand.
    edited November -1
    Ok, one last time through the gauntlet.

What does installing sights and refinishing a gun run? I've only checked some big companies (Wilson, Springfield) and some people that do plating. I think it's actually cheaper to have it black chromed. However, the Springfield package includes the parts and labor. I'm not sure how much the parts would run separate and then pay someone to install them.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think you will do better to buy the gun you want and sell your existing one if need be.
    Prices seem pretty high
  • gp52555gp52555 Member Posts: 144 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I sent my 1911 to Springfield custom last week for the TRP package. I'll let you know what I think about it when I get it back.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gp52555
    I sent my 1911 to Springfield custom last week for the TRP package. I'll let you know what I think about it when I get it back.

Very much appreciated. Was your pistol a Springfield? I'm going for just the "Loaded" package.
  • thecoltcollectorthecoltcollector Member Posts: 151 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i think youll like the trp package.i bought a trp out of the box and its become new best friend..[:D]
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by thecoltcollector
    i think youll like the trp package.i bought a trp out of the box and its become new best friend..[:D]

Saw the price; a tad high for me. How would you rate the work, and what was the turn-around time?