In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Are you smarter than a 5th grader? : Disturbing

JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
Anybody else catch this show tonight? I've heard a lot about it but this was the first time I watched a full episode so I could give an informed opinion.

Does anybody else find it disturbing? You talk about BAD TV!! First of all, even if it was good, they only get through 2 questions in between commercial breaks. Long, drawn out and agonizing.

Next, I'm watching a full grown, professional woman, mentally battling 5th graders. The kids did great, while she struggled from question one.

The first question she missed?? It was a 50/50 chance. What country has the longest boarder with the US? After a long drawn out episode of agonizing, she chose Mexico. Because, "She hears about it all the time." [:0]

But wait, she's not knocked out yet. Did the child get it right? Oh, yes! Yeah, he did! WHOOOO! WHEW, what a break!

Next question, How many sides does a Trapazoid have. Ended up having to use a cheat on this one and get the answer from the kid again.

The final question at 175,000 was a little trickier (which she left at, how many decades are in a mellenia), but what bothers me is how bad this woman was struggling early on.
Another one was, What's the nearest star to the Earth? She barely got that one right. I mean c'mon. This isn't entertainment. This is an insult to our intelligence. These people have to be hand picked in order for it to be a struggle. My question, who's getting a kick out of this show?
I'd bet it doesn't last long. There's not even any risk in seeing the next question. You can see it for free and opt out if you don't know it.
As if anyone here even needed to know......two thumbs down. [xx(]

Comments

• KodiakkKodiakk Member Posts: 5,582
    edited November -1
    First guy yesterday was knocked out without getting one right and was a graduate of UCLA. One of the questions he bombed was do polar bears feed on penguins.

You might think the folks are dumb but they are probally playing it up. How entertaining would it be if they just sat there and spat out the answer right away without the anxiety. Also, they might not have dealt with some things in years. I know theres alot of math I have forgotten due to not using it at all since I've been released into the working world.

Personally I like the show except they ask so few questions and alot of screwing around. I would of gotten the trapaziod question wrong. I've dealt with nothing even close to that since school. Makes me want to go back and brush up on some stuff though. [;)]

Oh the other question I got wrong from the first guy is what month is Columbus day in. Hell I don't keep track of holidays. All I know is I work them all pretty much. [:p]
  • stevenrayspeckstevenrayspeck Member Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should try to get on the show. I had all the answers before any of the kids locked thier answers in.

The trick is to play realy dum at the auditions to get on the show.
  • kristovkristov Member Posts: 6,633
    edited November -1
    First guy yesterday was knocked out without getting one right and was a graduate of UCLA.

That did not surprise those of us who graduated from USC one little bit [}:)]!
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I should contact my cousin to see if he would be interested in being a contestant on the show, he was in fifth grade at least a couple of times.
  • ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    100 decades in a MILLENIUM (singular). MELLENIA is the plural.
  • goldeneagle76goldeneagle76 Member Posts: 4,359
    edited November -1
    Just watched it tonight, not impressed with it. Too many commercials. Stupid show.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Watched a little of it last night for the first time.

Not impressed with the adults knowledge. They were not hard questions either. What US states border the Pacific Ocean? She got it WRONG! She also had to ask the kid which bear species was the largest.

We are a nation of functional dummies.[xx(]
  • CameroonCameroon Member Posts: 702 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never watched the show but heard co-workers talking about it this
    morning. Of course the 5th graders know the answers. They're just
    learning. My son is in 6th grade and asks questions about items I
    remember from school but have not thought about for years. It seems
    like someone is trying to make adults look stupid for the benefit of
    children. Don't think I'll ever watch the program.
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Kinda puts it in perspective when the kids ask the parents for help on homework.
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    The wife and I have been watching the show. Yes, it is long and drawn out.

I've answered every single question correctly so far this series short of two yesterday, and both had to do with bears (of all things).

I was always taught that the Kodiak was the largest of the bears. Apparently, the polar bear is. I did not know that.

And, I missed the question that asked what constellation the Big Dipper was in. I thought the Big Dipper was a constellation. Apparently the Big Dipper is part of Ursa Major.
  • peonpeon Member Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It will probably be a hit. For some reason, people like to see other people fall flat on their face and appear stupid.

Have you ever watched Jay Leno's segment of Jay Walking? We've got some ignorant people in this country.
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife took her cousin (female) in to take a ASVAB test to join the Air Force. She scored a 12.....out of 100....36 is the minimum they take in the Air Force.

Not even the Army would take her stupid *. She wants to go to college.....ha ha ha ha.

My kids are going to be home schooled.
  • Huntingnerd33Huntingnerd33 Member Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know what's worse, the fact that there are people out there that don't know any of that stuff or that they get PAID to be stupid. [:(!][V] Granted I didn't know some of them but 90% of them I did, but 5th grade wasn't that long ago compared to the 40 year-old guy from UCLA. (who was a disgrace to mankind) But a terrible show, nice thought but entirely too slow and drawn out. With a little tweaking it could be a really good show.
  • drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,527 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I only saw the 1st episode but I liked it! Couldn't believe the chick didn't know what REM stood for.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Try this one- not counting Mexico and Canada, what is the closest nation phsically to the US ?
  • spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Try this one- not counting Mexico and Canada, what is the closest nation phsically to the US ?
    Russia if you want to get technical.
  • Smokeeater 38Smokeeater 38 Member Posts: 2,735
    edited November -1
    I felt like a retard after watching it last night.
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    the concept is do you even remember what is taught in the fifth grade, i know myself have forgotten allot of the simple stuff, and don''t even ask me to spell correctly, and my last i.q. test was 144, my kid in 8th grade brings home stuff i long forgot
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spaniel- right- actually, its Siberia- now part of the Commonwealth of Independent States. It is 3 miles from Little Diomede Island to Big Diomede. But amazing how many folks will puzzle over that question.
  • 65gto38965gto389 Member Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You remember the part the other day where the woman was on answering the question about the largest species of bear and number of states that boarder the Pacific Ocean.

First when the answer was shown to be 'polar bear' I was thinking that the Kodiak bear can get to be bigger. [I've heard reports]

Second when it was mentioned that '5' states boarder the Pacific Ocean: I was thinking that Hawaii technically doesn't count because in my mind I thought 'boarder' to be touching it on one side and not land-locked like Hawaii is.

What say you?
  • yawarakaiyawarakai Member Posts: 2,688 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by vess1

The first question she missed?? It was a 50/50 chance. What country has the longest boarder with the US? After a long drawn out episode of agonizing, she chose Mexico. Because, "She hears about it all the time." [:0]

After Mexico invades us and then Canada there will be no borders.

quote:
    Next question, How many sides does a Trapazoid have. Ended up having to use a cheat on this one and get the answer from the kid again.

Isn't that a lopsided square?

quote:
    Another one was, What's the nearest star to the Earth? She barely got that one right.

Anyone who watches Star trek knows the answer is the sun. Unless of course you are talking of the closes star to our solar system then it is Proxima Centuri
  • JackBwrJackBwr Member Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A trapazoid is a square or rectangle, with a triangle on both sides. So it is 4 sided.
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to the Department of Defense:

Guam is a stateside entity if you are a military retiree trying to get your kid into a DODEA school.

But they announce Civil Service jobs as "Emergency Essential".....then when you get hired they back up and say it's US owned soil so you don't get base shopping priveleges and aren't Emergency Essential....since they say it is a "CONUS" Continental US operation. (They own it thus they can save money by screwing you over).

Smarts is......where the money is. You could have 500 scientists saying humans are using more oxygen than EARTH creates annually...If the govt. controls the money they could launch publicity stunts and hire their own attorneys to defute the 500 independent scientists.

The most important thing I've learned.....whatever they say the right answer is......was most likely created due to politics.