In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Guns my Dad left me..

bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
My Dad called the other day (we don't talk much as he left our family when I was one) and said he was leaving his guns to me when he passed on. The first is a garand LNIB he said he got it about 40 years ago and never shot it. The second is an 1873 Winchester in 44-40 that he said was in very good shape. The third is a Colt 1873 SAA in 44-40 in very good condition. It seems my Great grandfather bought these new to use on cattle drives in the late 1800's in Texas. Can't hardley wait to see him as I have only seen him twice and the guns won't be bad either[:D]

Comments

• 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow. Hope the reunion goes well with your Dad. Be sure to make note of the histories behind the guns.
  • IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guns are good but, blood is thicker then water, and steel. Give the old guy a hug when you see him. You may just make his day.
  • spurgemasturspurgemastur Member Posts: 5,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The guns sound totally cool but don't miss the opportunity with your Dad. Even if you don't share experiences, you share blood and that's worth a bunch. Try to establish a relationship with your Dad; it will be worth it.

Whether or not you take advantage of the opportunity to meet with your father, try to get as much history on the guns as you can. I'm the owner of three 'heirloom' pieces, about which I have essentially NO information. They're cool guns, they're old....but they would mean a lot more if I knew who bought them and why, and how they were used. That information now is lost because everybody who might have known is now dead.

I have three cool guns. I should have stories to go with them, but I don't.

Get those stories from your dad.

And then try to forge a relationship with your dad.

Both will be worth it.
  • allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,183 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Boy are you lucky to be getting those guns!
    Tell you what, would your dad adopt me? Think about it, we would be brothers.
    Then, at least I could get my hands on that Colt.
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys I think that is the reason he called he was trying to establish a relationship. The last time we had talked I had mentioned that I liked manuels ( no not the Mexicans ) and I think that is his way of starting a relationship. That is fine with me because I would like to learn more about him and his side of the family. Should be interesting...Bull
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,306 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SCorvers
    Wow. Hope the reunion goes well with your Dad. Be sure to make note of the histories behind the guns.
    Yep, I agree.
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bull300wsm
    My Dad called the other day (we don't talk much as he left our family when I was one) and said he was leaving his guns to me when he passed on. Hopefully this all goes well for you!
    As mentioned previously, get the story, but also any other family history you can ... even if you think you will never want it.

For myself, we have a very small family, but my Dad had a briefcase of pictures of family members, some over 100 years old. Several times over the years I asked him, to write who they were and how they were related on the back, even offered to help him do it ... he never did.

I have the briefcase, but he's gone now and so are the identities of nearly every picture in that case ...
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enjot the guns and don't forget up ...WE NEED PIC's....Remember to get it all said when you meet up with him. You may have a good chance to reconnect here. Good luck, I re-met my father when I was 17. WE started a great friendship and traveled all over the country on our bikes. Good memories and I really miss him now[V], we got things right though[;)].

PJ
  • Slow_HandSlow_Hand Member Posts: 2,835
    edited November -1
    quote:The guns sound totally cool but don't miss the opportunity with your Dad. Even if you don't share experiences, you share blood and that's worth a bunch. Try to establish a relationship with your Dad; it will be worth it.

+1 Very well said.

Bull300wsm, I believe your dad is reaching out to you as he senses his own mortality. This is possibly a golden opportunity for you to come away with more than guns.
  • bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Slow_Hand
    quote:The guns sound totally cool but don't miss the opportunity with your Dad. Even if you don't share experiences, you share blood and that's worth a bunch. Try to establish a relationship with your Dad; it will be worth it.

+1 Very well said.

Bull300wsm, I believe your dad is reaching out to you as he senses his own mortality. This is possibly a golden opportunity for you to come away with more than guns.

I hope so..
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As Kimberkid said get as much history as you can. I have several objects from my great and great-great grandfather. I wish I had more information about the items....

I hope you reunion with you father goes well for you both....
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    I got a rifle from my dad, Don't remember how, got it before he pawn it to buy alcohol with, I bet it p*****him off, He was a no good drunk that never raised his family. The Rifle means nothing to me and will give it away to some one here in town. when I find the right Boy, one that can not aford to buy one. He will never know the history of it
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    Met my birth mother when I was about 40, and never have met my birth
    father. Don't let the opportunity to re-connect pass by.