In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

N-word Outlawed In NYC

buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
NEW YORK (AP) -- New York declared the n-word off limits to all races Wednesday in a purely symbolic resolution prompted by the common, casual use of the slur in hip-hop music, comedy and street slang.

"People are using it out of context," said Leroy Comrie, a black city councilman who sponsored the unanimously passed measure. "People are also denigrating themselves by using the word, and disrespecting their history."

New York's resolution is not binding and merely calls on residents to stop using the slur. Leaders of the nation's largest city also hope to set an example.

Rudis Mata, 21, of New York said it was pointless to ban the word if city had no plans to enforce it, adding that he thinks it's a violation of free speech.

"I don't necessarily think people should ban the word, but it's a derogatory term and it shouldn't be used," he said. "It's different from other curse words. It has a history."

Other municipalities have already passed similar measures in a debate that rose to a fever pitch late last year after "Seinfeld" actor Michael Richards spewed the word repeatedly at a comedy club in Los Angeles.

At New York's City Hall, supporters cheered passage of the resolution, with many of them wearing pins featuring a single white "N" with a slash through it.

Hip-hop pioneer Kurtis Blow Walker said when the resolution was proposed that blacks needed to stop using the word so "we can elevate our minds to a better future."

Others argue that use of the word by blacks is empowering; that reclaiming a slur and giving it a new meaning takes away its punch. Oscar winner Jamie Foxx, for example, has said that he will not stop using the word and that he does not see anything inappropriate about blacks using it within their own circles.

But in the uproar over Richards' outburst, black leaders including the Rev. Jesse Jackson and California Rep. Maxine Waters said it is impossible to paper over the epithet's origins and ugly history of humiliating blacks. They challenged the public and the entertainment industry to stop using the epithet.

"I forgive those young people who do not know their history, and I blame myself and my generation for not preparing you," Councilman Albert Vann said. "But today we are going to know our history. We are not going to refer to ourselves by anything negative, the way the slave master referred to black people, using the n-word."

New York's action resonated far beyond the city.

In Miramar, Fla., 27-year-old Alexa Cabrera said she hopes the resolution will at least cause people to stop and think about their use of the word.

"It's a derogatory term no matter who uses it. Like if the KKK uses it, it's wrong, but if 50 Cent uses it, it's OK? I don't understand that," said Cabrera, who is black.

Dallas bank manager Ed Romero, who described himself as black and Hispanic, said he would like to see the spirit of the New York resolution spread until the word's use is stamped out.

"It's degrading and disrespectful, and I'd like to see it eliminated completely," Romero said.

A group of black teenagers having lunch in a Dallas mall disagreed, saying the resolution won't affect their use of the word.

"We grew up saying it and it's what I say all the time," said 17-year-old Tiara Smith. "It's not going to stop anybody from saying it."

note: they didn't specify which variation of the word they refer to, with -er, -a, or -ro ending.

Comments

• IAMAHUSKERIAMAHUSKER Member Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you really ban words?? How bout books?? How bout guns?? How bout...........
  • ChetStaffordChetStafford Member Posts: 2,794
    edited November -1
    I seen a movie like this first they told people what they could say/

Then they burned thier books

Then they took thier guns away

Made all the school children dress the same

but it was an old black and white video and everybody was speaking GERMAN[V]
    edited November -1
    We are getting it from every side. Testing the waters at every turn. Softening the blows as they go. Misinformation, letting a certain amount of the truth out on some issues, but just enough to really stir the pot. They are truely very coordinated in their actions and what they allow us to hear and see. Our goberment is and has been out of control and is very long overdue for a good old fashion tea party sort of thing.
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Of all the useless head up their * resolutions. Non-binding huh? They ought to bind all of the fool councilmen and throw them in the East River.
    edited November -1
    But, we are due. Our country was founded on Christian principals and we have strayed so far from it that there is no return. I am not some soothe sayer, or claim to talk to God but I think we have very few years left before, the proverbial crap hits the fan in this country. That is the one and only thing that I regret about bring children into this world. Shame on me and, shame on all of us.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    naah, it'll just keep getting more and more rotten until it falls apart.
  • nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, they've already effectively banned the second amendment in NYC, what makes you think the first was somehow off-limits?

wonder how many BLACK people will be prosecuted for uttering the verbotten?
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 15,467 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Mr. GunzMr. Gunz Member Posts: 1,621 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wait so your saying N. igger is illegal to say in NYC!?!?
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First trans fats now this. What is this world coming to? Don
  • ScharfSchutzeScharfSchutze Member Posts: 803 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has anyone seen my right to free speech?
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "People are using it out of context," said Leroy Comrie,

What a shame. People are lessening the intent of the word. Heck, LeRoy what if the word became so irrelevant that it lost it's meaning all together. Wouldn't that be a great thing?

If it were not for scab pickers like this clown, racial tensions would be dead. Stupid... oh heck what can I call him? POLITICIAN!

Seattle is right. Race is irrelevant. Or is it an illusion.
    edited November -1
    Heck why should New York City stop here. I bet there are a lot of other Constitutional Rights they would like to outlaw with their all mighty non binding resolutions.

The San Fransisco can start competing with more illegal words and actions. Who can gut the Constitution better with the non binding resolution.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Do they really think that's going to actually work?
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Zulu7
    Do they really think that's going to actually work?

Probably.
  • CHGOTHNDERCHGOTHNDER Member Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    N = Nice????? What "N" Word[?][;)]
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by IAMAHUSKER
    We are getting it from every side. Testing the waters at every turn. Softening the blows as they go. Misinformation, letting a certain amount of the truth out on some issues, but just enough to really stir the pot. They are truely very coordinated in their actions and what they allow us to hear and see. Our goberment is and has been out of control and is very long overdue for a good old fashion tea party sort of thing.

A lot of it seems to be focused in the New York City area. I often wonder what the average New Yorker or individual living in Mass, Conn and NJ thinks about all this PC liberal crap. They keep voting these idiots into power so I guess this is their minds eye so to speak.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You would thing a large city like NYC would have enough real problems to try to sort out. Why waste time on a feel good thing that will not make any change at all....[}:)]
  • Ba SardoBa Sardo Member Posts: 562 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh yeah, way to go NYC. Instead of tackling your immense crime problems, crumbling infrastructure problems, rat problems, transportation problems, sanitation problems, and any of a host of OTHER more important problems, go ahead and tackle the issue of the n-word.

How about other racial slurs? Or are blacks the only folks who feel the need for special lefgal protection for their feelings?

Idiots.
  • warriorsfanwarriorsfan Member Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mr. Gunz
    Wait so your saying N. igger is illegal to say in NYC!?!?

No, because it was a SYMBOLIC resolution and is not law.
  • spryorspryor Member Posts: 9,155
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ScharfSchutze
    Has anyone seen my right to free speech?
    I caught a flash of it, mixed with several other things....
    as it swirled down the drain.
  • elvjeepelvjeep Member Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Websters seventh addition page 566 has the word "NEGRO" ["a member of a people belonging to the African branch of the black race"]also NEGROID (n. or adj.)
    I believe the mayors office will issue special permits so one can use the Negro word in an emergency situation or under extreme duress.
    example: Like if your under attack by the Black Panthers
    "yo!!!!! where did all dem negros come from?"
  • Sav99Sav99 Member Posts: 16,037 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So you can say the "F" word, even in front of ladies and children, and you can certainly say "G.D." thats just plain freedom of expression. But the "N" word, well heck no! That just wouldn't be right. [xx(]
  • LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by dcon12
    First trans fats now this. What is this world coming to? Don
    Good one Don[;)]
  • gunslinger3244gunslinger3244 Member Posts: 8 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an idea, Ban all the Banning! If we keep voteing idiots in office this will keep going on and on, also how does banning a racist remark towards one race of people help anything? You would in effect have to ban all such words with racist ideology. This is an attack on the 1st Amendment that lends itself to communism. The use of free speech is granted under the 1st Amendment and while I don't advocate racial slurs, it is still our right to speak our minds. Far too many fine Americans have fought and died to defend these rights so what does this do to preserve the memory of thier honor as well as thier families loss. The simply answer in NOTHING! If a person has evil in thier heart then they will spew this evil out regardless of what bans are in effect. These people should be ignored because when they don't get the attention they were looking for they will eventually shut up.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    (N)uts! i'll (N)ever get to use the (N) word again in (N)yc (N)ew york?
    (N)ot in a million years!
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Well, damn! Now what am I gonna talk about?
  • El KabongEl Kabong Member Posts: 246 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    well, if you are SOOOO offended that NYC won't yet you use the "N" word...how about GB???

black person....oops, that's the "N" word GB style

how about the "F" word???

bleen...oops, what's that mean??
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a few of you missed this part:

quote:New York's resolution is not binding and merely calls on residents to stop using the slur.

Anyway, I can kind of see the "spirit" of this resolution, but if they really want to tone things down, how about passing a non-binding resolution asking New Yorkers not to use the F word?

Not an effin chance in hell, my nig-gentlemen!
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if we can just get them to stop using the 'M' word.....them bums, the METS![:p][xx(]
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    I never use the N-word. [;)] My grandomther used the terms Darkie and Colored, but I don't think she ment them as deragatory. What about the less dated terms like Negro, *, Spear Chucker, *, and Porch Monkey. Why don't they ban those words too?
  • victorlvlbvictorlvlb Member Posts: 5,004
    edited November -1
    I doubt anyone will stop the black comidians from using the N word.They can call each other the N word more then anyone else.