In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rockwall County DA In Dutch

nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
edited March 2007 in General Discussion
http://www.myfoxdfw.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail;jsessionid=B2DB23A4F5EA9A047A61FF51C8473F4C?contentId=2529700&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

Sorry for the long link. As you may recall, this is the DA who went after Officer John White, saying that police officers must be held to a higher standard.

Say, Ray, does the "higher standard" also apply to prosecuting attorneys?

Comments

• dongizmodongizmo Member Posts: 14,477 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dave,
    Use this one[;)]
    http://tinyurl.com/3xsl4g
    Don
    The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly, is to fill the world with fools.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Couldnt be another case of "Do as I say" could it?[:(]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,308 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    No prolly a different standard for him. I'm sure he's above the common man's law.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No biggie; it'is only $68,000.00. Most political hacks can misuse that amount before lunch.

Do you think the DA's cell mate will bond well with his new roomie?
  • TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He should have hid it in his frezzer.

If he is a Democrat he is safe. If he is a Republican they will hang his * out to dry. Which is what should happen in ether situation.[}:)]

Trinity +++
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dang dial up!

SLOW!
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Did some digging and found this old article and connected the dots.

Agencies investigate Rockwall County DA

He says he'll cooperate, but they haven't given details of complaint yet

10:58 PM CST on Thursday, February 8, 2007

By LaKISHA LADSON / The Dallas Morning News
    lladson@dallasnews.com

Rockwall County Criminal District Attorney Ray Sumrow is the subject of an "official misconduct" investigation by the Texas Rangers, the FBI and the Rockwall County Sheriff's Department, a Texas Department of Public Safety spokesman confirmed Thursday.

Officials with those agencies refused to provide details. But DPS spokesman Tom Vinger said that if they were to find evidence of a crime, the case would be turned over to a Travis County prosecutor.
    Ray Sumrow

Mr. Sumrow, 57, said that officials are obligated to look at a complaint if someone files one and that he has "no problem with that." He said he would cooperate fully.

"I don't know what they're investigating me for," he said, "so I guess I'll wait and see if they find anything."

If the case moves forward, the earliest it could be presented to a Travis County grand jury would be early March, Mr. Vinger said.

Rockwall County Sheriff Harold Eavenson said the investigation began in his office.

"We requested the assistance of the bureau [FBI] and the Texas Rangers" several months ago, he said.

County Judge Chris Florance and County Auditor John Blackwood declined to comment. County Treasurer Bill Sinclair could not be reached.

Mr. Sumrow has been criminal district attorney since 1986 and has been on the other side of public corruption investigations in the past.

He prosecuted former Rockwall County Sheriff John McWhorter, who received probation after being convicted in 1990 of conspiring to sell marijuana seized by his department.

He also handled the case against former Tarrant County Sheriff Don Carpenter, who was indicted in 1992 on charges of theft, falsifying records and misappropriation of property. Mr. Carpenter received probation the following year in exchange for pleading no contest to official misconduct, a misdemeanor.

"All public officials, myself included, should realize that they take an oath, and they have a responsibility to live up to that oath," Mr. Sumrow said at the time.

He was also involved last year in the case against County Treasurer Shere? Jones, who used public money for personal expenses and later repaid it.

After Ms. Jones pleaded guilty in August to felony abuse of office and was sentenced to probation, Mr. Sumrow said: "I hate it. It is a blight on all elected officials."
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 35,988 ******
    edited November -1
    That's just it. When he was prosecuting John, I referred to him as a despicable little man, and he proved it up for me. He is guilty of the very crime for which he has vigorously prosecuted other public officials.

Two quotes come to mind:

"People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones."

"Let he who is without sin first cast a stone."