In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

civillian sky diver = Airborne qualified?

Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in General Discussion
if a person says they have done civillian sky diving would they be eligible to wear the army airborne patch or wear a tshirt thats says "Airborne" ?

or would you consider that a poser?

Comments

• spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I'd consider either insane.

Why anyone would jump from a perfectly good airplane is beyond my scope of understanding.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've helped carry one diver person out of the pasture in a body bag. I've lost count how many have died while sky diving here.

http://www.skydivechicago.com
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I would have to say NO, they have never been in the Army nor have passed jump school.

Kinda like sayin, your a SEAL b/c you went SCUBA diving once.

Yes I do belive POSER fits the bill.
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    NO you wouldnt be considered airborne. You can wear army t-shirts that alot of people wear, but you start wearing some skill badges someone is going to call you out on it
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    airbone= passes army jump school
    how can that be corrupted
  • tapwatertapwater Member Posts: 10,335 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ..NO..poser...disrespect on the order of those that claim to have been in combat, but served in a rear area or stateside. I've jumped out of an airplane, but would never advertise the fact, much less pose as a military man.

..I have some flying lessons under my belt, but would never call myself a "pilot." AOPA sent me a set of wings, but I'd never wear them.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    And, you WILL get your * (justifiably) kicked - after getting laughed at.

Do NOT do that around my three Airborne qualified Sons.

Doug
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Why is it that so damn many people wish to be thought of as Military when they did not serve ? It is real easy to join up, then if you wish
    display it. Most of us dont do it though once we are out. First thing I wanted when I got out was civies, over 60 years ago. Never wore any uniform parts since. Maybe I am wrong, but I was a citizen/soldier/
    Infantry rifleman in WW 2 in the ETO and was damn glad to be just a civilian again. And still alive.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,868 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    big fat no.
    but, there IS or should i say, there WAS a NAVY JUMP SCHOOL way back when in lakehurst n.j.
    so it IS possible to be NAVY AIRBORNE qualified. i know. i taught at the school and jumped there.
    the navy/usmc basic jump wings are EXACTLY the same as army. but once you get 10 jumps in the navy/usmc, you get gold wings.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells

Why anyone would jump from a perfectly good airplane is beyond my scope of understanding.

What if it was parked on the ground...is it OK to jump then? [:)]
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What if I didn't actually get laid, can I still wear a Mile High Club pin?
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1

Same here-[8D]
  • phillipphillip Member Posts: 2,948
    edited November -1

Ive made a fee jumps in shreveport, and the plane was anything but "perfectly good" it had wires hanging down,they jumped it off with a car at least once a day,the motor back fired to the point of a couple of aborted take offs.I always thought if you got airborne...you were better off jumping out of that hunk of schit.It was a cesna 182.30 to40 minutes to 11000 ft.and it seamed my jumpmaster either ALWAYS had gas or his nasty feet stunk,Witch by the way looked like he had been kickin bricks all day.[xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cyberdyne systems

or wear a tshirt thats says ...

May not wear one of these either...

Zoom.jpg
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Cyberdyne systems
    if a person says they have done civillian sky diving would they be eligible to wear the army airborne patch or wear a tshirt thats says "Airborne" ?

Poser
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it ain't on page 4 and 13 of your service record, it ain't yours.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
    edited November -1
    or, on your dd-214!
    rule of thumb, if you got paid a salary and got told to jump, youre airborne.
    if you paid to jump, and had the option to say no, youre sky trash.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    If I recall correctly, the number of 'trained' paratroopers as compared to those who made their first jump in combat suffered about equal casualties as far as jump mishaps went.

However, the "airborne" tag in my opinion is not about jumping out of a plane - gravity makes us all paratroopers if conditions are right.

No, "airborne" means fighting more with less, outnumbered, and surrounded... and prevailing.

Poser? Hardly... I'd call those civilian skydiver types "wannabe *" if they said they were airborne qualified.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    are we talking about an airborne patch or jump wings?
    IIRC jump wings just mean you completed a certain number of static line jumps, not airborne infantry training.

Most skydivers are overqualified when it comes to jumping out of airplanes.
  • 180A180A Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went through the Army Airborne course.

You were not allowed to wear rank on your uniform, the guy next to you might be a PFC or a Captain.

In the "old days" Army Jump School was the toughest 3 weeks a soldier fresh from boot camp could experience. You practiced PLF's until every point of contact on your body was sore. You ran everywhere, did a gazillion push ups and learned to instinctively follow commands. You learned on cables and finally jump towers.

You were taught how to jump using the T-10 parachute and T-7 reserve.
    The first jump was scary, but exhilarating at the same time.

There's nothing more peaceful than floating through the air (unless you're taking and returning enemy fire).

There were no standing landings; each jump ended with a parachute landing fall.

I went thru a 2 day skydiving course, and jumped with one of the "new" parachutes -- it was a piece of cake compared with the old T-10.

Anyone that claims to be Airborne and only has skydiving experience is a phoney. Like EMM says, Airborne is more than just jumping. The Airborne soldier is more motivated and will fight to the death to win.
    Battle history has proven that the sky soldiers of the 101st., 82nd., 173rd., Rangers and Special Forces are the real deal, not some wannabe skydiver.

BTTW: I've seen a new class of Airborne soldier, they wear the MFF (Military Free Fall) wings instead of the old style jump wings. I understand they are teaching the MFF jump course at Bragg.
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Poser. Civilian skydiving is closer to Army HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) training. HALO, btw, is something that is usually reserved for USSOCOM units.
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    to be HALO, a you must be basic first.
    and being airborne qualified and being an airborne trooper are two different things.
    many mos's go to get airborne qualified for either a specific need/mission or others do for just plain ole carrier candy. these school grabbers are known as 5 jump chumps. they jump, get the wings, and never see a chute again.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former NSSA All American
    MO, CT, VA.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    NO! Jumping from a civilian bird for fun is nothing like going through jump school. You have not earned the wings...don't wear them.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't have much of a problem with any T-shirt anybody wants to wear. A T-shirt is just a T-shirt. A lot of people give T-shirts to friends and relatives and they wear them out of pride for their friend or relative.

Wearing badges, patches, insignia and awards which you haven't earned is dishonest and a fraud. If you're not sure if you are entitled to the award, check your DD-214 or page 4 and 13 of your service record. If you don't have a service record, you're not entitled to wear the award.

I've extinguished cigarettes in New York City. That doesn't make me a New York City Fireman (FDNY). [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.