In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Old girl dog

jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
edited June 2007 in General Discussion
[8D]I don't ask much of your opinion--

--I have this old gal (shelty/Austrailan) shepard 20 yrs old (140)dog years--

--She sleeps most, walks in circles, drinks water-stumbles--

--has lost hearing, sight, body movement--

--wheather or not you think much of me--give me your opinion on her life -or not !!!

--JIMBO

Comments

• LOKO383LOKO383 Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jimbo,only a loving master and friend should make that call,thats a hard subject,best,Loko
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds to me like she made yours, let her live hers. Don
  • catpealer111catpealer111 Member Posts: 10,695
    edited November -1
    If she's not in pain, let her go naturally, in her home, surrounded by people she loves. That is far better then an injection in a cold, sterile vet clinic where she doesn't know what's happening to her. You owe it to her to let her go when she's ready.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time to go,..she gave you 110%,..now it's your turn, no matter how much it hurts. They deserve it.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    if she still enjoys life, and isn't in pain then let her live, of course.

Ben
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Is she sick? in pain? If not then why not let her live out her life in the company of the one she loves....Hopefully the end will be peaceful for her, going to sleep one night with her masters hand on her head would be the way...

Only you can make the decision, but if she is not in pain, or not ill, then I say leave her...let nature take its course...
  • jimbowbyjimbowby Member Posts: 3,496
    edited November -1
    [8D]-I thank you two for your heart response--

--My wife and daughter want to prolong her life--

--I've lost dogs and "people" sometimes because of me and sometimes not, but she's always been around, I can put her away, but I have to convince them--

--Please don't misunderstand my plea-I know what has to be done, but I'd like some feelings from you guys that don't really think to much of me--if not --OK-

--JIMBO
    edited November -1
    [8D]-And the rest of you guy's , i'm touched and thats rare--thanks-

JIMBO
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A person that loves a pet can not trust his/her own judgement on the time to put a pet down. Sometimes the opinion of a vet is biased by desire to make money. You need to know if the pet is in pain and also the opinion of friend(s) that are not close to the pet, but know the condition, if it is time to let go.
  • phillipphillip Member Posts: 2,948
    edited November -1
    Im glad I dont have to make that des[:(]ion,Good luck.
  • zipperzapzipperzap Member Posts: 25,057
    edited November -1
    Sounds like it's time.

Sometimes we have to do what's right and
    not avoid the obvious.

... think of the good times and think what
    she'd probably do for you if the roles were
    reversed.

Sorry. I've had to make that decision more
    times than I can recall. It's part of the deal
    when you go into the relationship.[:D]
  • nards444nards444 Member Posts: 3,994 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    if the dog is suffering, its time.
  • tsavo303tsavo303 Member Posts: 8,891 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    its hard and up to you[:(]
    I would want to go if I were her.
    I am glad you have such a companion, its always sad when they get old
  • Rack OpsRack Ops Member Posts: 18,597 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If she isn't in pain, my instinct is to leave her be...

My mother (3 years ago) put down her dog down because he was old and didn't move around so well........When she got him to the vet, she couldn't bring herself to be with him when they gave him the shot.

She's never forgiven herself. I don't know how many times she told me she wished she had brought him home.....
  • SCorversSCorvers Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm no vet, but have been around dogs most of my life. From the description you gave, it seems that she may of had a stroke.
    I can't tell you to put her down without actually being around her. You've been around her and you know if she is suffering.
    My Yella Lab is going on 15-16. She looks bad, but she is still "there". Luckily I have a good vet that doesn't charge to euthanise. She'll help me make that decision when the time comes.
    I wish you and her the best of luck.
  • tomh.tomh. Member Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a difficult decision. To end the life of a loved one. Huge burden to carry. But one that you'll ultimately have to make.
    If she's suffering, then it's time. You can hold her when the doc gives her the injection. She'll be at peace that way. And so will you.
  • William81William81 Member Posts: 24,585 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's a tough one. We had a family cat for almost 18 years. He
    was really starting to go downhill in the last couple of years. He was deaf and would just fall over when walking. He however was not in any pain and from time to to time he would bounce back.

He finally began to experience some pains in his joints was having trouble finding his way around the house so we made that hard decision.

My dear wife took him to a friend of ours that happens to be a vet and held Ace the whole time till it was over. I stayed home with two young boys and we talked our way though the tears and spent time over supper telling Ace stories.

Only you and your family can make this difficult decision. I do not envy you at this time.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111
    If she's not in pain, let her go naturally, in her home, surrounded by people she loves. That is far better then an injection in a cold, sterile vet clinic where she doesn't know what's happening to her. You owe it to her to let her go when she's ready.

+1. Agreed in total.
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by lt496
    quote:Originally posted by catpealer111

+1. Agreed in total.

+2 Why kill her if she is not hurting or suffering??

CP
  • acdoddacdodd Member Posts: 1,314 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We just went through the same thing.
    He was old and very sick and in pain.
    Vet said he would only get worse so he advised we have him put down.
    We took him to another vet and she said the same thing.
    It was one of the hardest thing we ever had to do but I could not let him suffer.
    Take your's to the Vet and ask them.
    Good luck to you.
    AC
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    We had to have our beloved horse Fancy put down a couple of months ago The vet came to our house and all her family was there to wish her happy jumping in her next world.

Were I you, I would not make your kitty wait to start hurting. I'd pay the vet to come to our home to do it, so she would know how loved she is.

I hope one of my Children has enough love to help me end it, when it's time.

You have our condolences.

Doug
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Can you sit on the front steps with your arms around her and she knows it's you? My Grettle was 20. Old, feeble, yet when I picked her up, I would look into her cataract eyes and she would look into mine. She knew me and I know she remembered the joys we had shared. She died a natural death, curled up on her bed.

I could never have had her put down, nor could I shoot my best friend.
    It's been seven years since she died and I still miss her. Probably always will.[:(]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Would you want to be kept alive in her condition?
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As long as she's not in pain, can eat and drink and and not incontinent, I'd let nature take its course ... if not, I'd wouldn't let her suffer.

I might feel differently if/when Kate gets to that point in her life, but truely I hope she goes before she gets to that point ... Hell, I hope I go before I get to that point.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
    edited November -1
    [8D]-Well believe it or not, I'm not surprised by the amount of real compassion you all have shown me, I'm very thankful--

--The old gal doesn't have much balance or speed , but she doesn't appear to suffer--

--She drinks and eats ok, so I'll just keep my eye on her and respond accordingly--

quote:Originally posted by jimbowby
    [8D]-I thank you for your heart response--

--My wife and daughter want to prolong her life--

--I've lost dogs and "people" sometimes because of me and sometimes not, but she's always been around, I can put her away, but I have to convince them--

--Please don't misunderstand my plea-I know what has to be done, but I'd like some feelings from you guys that don't really think to much of me--if not --OK-

--JIMBO

--I'm thankful for so many of you to give me your thoughts and I won't forget it. This will make me a better FORUM member--

--I'll give status on her now and then-Thank-you all--

----JIMBO