In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

HOW MANY TIMES...

n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
edited May 2007 in General Discussion
How many times have you read something or listened to someone or even just read a blog etc and wondered:

Does this persons IQ match his/her age?...

I sometimes wonder about some ppl, then I read their articles/blogs/papers/posts and I know for sure.....

Comments

• 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • tomahawktomahawk Member Posts: 11,826
    edited November -1
    like what for instance[?]
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Oh, it occurs about every day... whether the blogger (God how I hate that term) or op-ed contributor is left or right, they typically are so full of themselves that it makes me want to puke.

The Left gets their facts wrong.

The Right makes theirs up.

Between them both I'd be better off watching old reruns of Robotech for my news and intellectual stimulation.
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Yeah... Thought that right after I clicked "HOW MANY TIMES..."
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    EMM...

Agree for the most part, but it happens in game sites, chat sites, medical sites, and ohhhhhh my gosh even gun sites...

[}:)]
  • JorgeJorge Member Posts: 10,656 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:
    Originally posted by OJMayo

my boss once was a 20 yrd old and i was 22. we were alone in the office after closing and he said "i want you ". we made out a little but that was it. true story. he got fired 3 days later and i have no reason why. i never said anything to anyone. later i wondered if they had cameras in there or something. about 10 years after that i saw him at a restruant with a wife and kids.

Right here in our own backyard.

[xx(][xx(][xx(]
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by BlackRoses
    EMM...

Agree for the most part, but it happens in game sites, chat sites, medical sites, and ohhhhhh my gosh even gun sites...

[}:)]

Surely not gun sites...
    [:D] [:D]
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I love it when a 15 year old tries to act like an adult. It's not that I have a problem with someone young on a forum, just an impostor. It becomes obvious when their life experiences aren't there to backup their strong political view.
    edited November -1
    Captplaid...

Its usually the other way round...
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Captplaid
    I love it when a 15 year old tries to act like an adult. It's not that I have a problem with someone young on a forum, just an impostor. It becomes obvious when their life experiences aren't there to backup their strong political view.

I absolutely hate that. I see it here more than I thought I would. Especially in the past few months. Kinda like the "pond turning over".
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Captplaid

trouble is kids are exposed to very liberal thinking in school and become brainwashed if their not exposed to an equal amount of conservative thinking. instead of being so negative, try a positive approach.
  • CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't know if I said something that is implied wrong, but it is fun calling the "adult" on it and calling the person a pimple popping teenager that needs to go write a term paper. They usually shut up and disappear as they're crapping their pants.
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I was thinking about that today. I was thinking how much differently kids see things from their parents, and when they grow up, they discover how much they are now just like their parents. I did- but what blows my mind is that they were like that the whole time and you just didn't know it.

so, my idea was, instead of wasting bandwidth with pointless blogging, wouldn't it be nice to write stuff (a diary, I guess, easily saved to .txt files) so your kids can read it when they grow up so they can see what your life was like, with them growing up, when they can finally relate to it and they're interested.
    edited November -1
    i understand where your coming from. but i'd personally never say anything to offend a youngster trying to fit in. i remember being young at the gun shop and the old timers through interaction taught me alot , and formed some of the strong opinions i still have to this day. remember, some of these boys will fight and some will die for this country possibbly in a few short years.. their brains need and want to fit in.... just my thoughts... no offense taken
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here's the deal with BLOGS *IMHO*.

Most blogs that I've read start off with something to the effect of "here's my rant". They call it a "rant" because it somehow eliminates the author's obligation to create any sense of structure in the rambling in question. The term "rant" apparently eliminates the need for intellectual integrity. This concept of a "rant" also attempts to remove any responsibilty from the author to support ideas put forth with facts or evidence. The author then typically hides behind the First Ammendment when he/she comes under any sort of criticism by someone who may look at the "rant" with any scrutiny.

The "blog" is an extension of our feel-good self-esteem-oriented society that has led to a degree of narcissism not seen before in the late-teens/early-twenties crowd. In response, I think to myself, "What makes you think anyone gives a flying rat's behind about your opinion." The whole concept of a blog seems somewhat arrogant to me. Most are a waste of bandwidth and information storage resources justified by a world that revolves around "me" and "my right to be heard". My response goes a little something like this: Are you so arrogant to think that anyone out there cares about your rant?
    edited November -1
    I was not speaking about kids/teenagers in the original post....I have found that teenagers are quite often "older" in their writings than a so called adult...
    edited November -1
    You weren't but I was.
  • rogue_robrogue_rob Member Posts: 7,033 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75

Most blogs that I've read start off with something to the effect of "here's my rant". They call it a "rant" because it somehow eliminates the author's obligation to create any sense of structure in the rambling in question. The term "rant" apparently eliminates the need for intellectual integrity. This concept of a "rant" also attempts to remove any responsibilty from the author to support ideas put forth with facts or evidence. The author then typically hides behind the First Ammendment when he/she comes under any sort of criticism by someone who may look at the "rant" with any scrutiny.

The "blog" is an extension of our feel-good self-esteem-oriented society that has led to a degree of narcissism not seen before in the late-teens/early-twenties crowd. In response, I think to myself, "What makes you think anyone gives a flying rat's behind about your opinion." The whole concept of a blog seems somewhat arrogant to me. Most are a waste of bandwidth and information storage resources justified by a world that revolves around "me" and "my right to be heard". My response goes a little something like this: Are you so arrogant to think that anyone out there cares about your rant?

I have always thought that "IMHO" has the same definition as your definition of "rant."
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rogue_rob
    quote:Originally posted by idsman75

I have always thought that "IMHO" has the same definition as your definition of "rant."

No. It has nothing to do with my definition of "rant". It simply means that this is what I believe but am humble enough to be tolerant of the opinion of others.