In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

british nobility titles?

KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
edited June 2007 in General Discussion
Is anyone familiar with the British system of titles and what they represent?

More specifically what does "the honourable" mean?

I am reading a book about airborne operations in WWII and occasioannly I will see an officer's name written as "captain the honourable so-and-so", I am familiar with the Lord title, but have never seen this one before.

Comments

• DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Honourable (Honorable on this side of the pond) could be a judge, mayor or other elected official.

A ruling king or queen is Your Majesty or My Liege if you have actually sworn fealty to that person.

A crown prince (princess) is Your Royal Highness.

A prince (princess) is Your Highness.

A duke (duchess) is Your Grace.

A count (countess) is Your Excellency.

A baron (baroness) is also Your Excellency.

Ambassadors are also called Your Excellency.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • gunnut505gunnut505 Member Posts: 10,290
    edited November -1
    Those Brits have a buttload of silly things they call one another that are supposed to convey some kind of honor; There's the Order of the Garter, Defender of the Crown, Thistle and Rose, almost all sound like good pub names!
  • Oklahoma223Oklahoma223 Member Posts: 2,648 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Elton John is a knight, so the titles really don't mean anything pertaining to valor, bravery, or honor.[:D]
  • LaidbackDanLaidbackDan Member Posts: 13,143 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Oklahoma223
    Elton John is a knight, so the titles really don't mean anything pertaining to valor, bravery, or honor.[:D]

Interesting, he's a Knighted Queen?
  • 1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    squire and below
  • DocDoc Member Posts: 13,899 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The various orders (some convey knighthood) are bestowed at the pleasure of the Crown. There are no specific standards or requirements.

Many British entertainers are knighted. Paul McCarthy, Sean Connery, the late John Gielgud, Michael Caine, Anthony Hopkins, the late Richard Burton and Ben Kingsley.

Women can also be knighted and are called "Dame" like Agatha Christie and Elizabeth Taylor.

My family is as English as they come (the city of London has 23 streets, avenues, roads, etc named with my last name) and one of my ancestors was the Sheriff of Nottingham. No, not that one. He held the office about 200 years after the Robin Hood story took place.

In fact, I have a knighthood that has been passed down from the days of the Crusades. Somewhere I have a document from an English lawyer stating that I have the right to add KM after my name (Knight Marshal) and call myself Sir. But Britain doesn't recognize any knighthoods for people not born as British subjects.
    ....................................................................................................
    Too old to live...too young to die...
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,934 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by SaxonPig
    Somewhere I have a document from an English lawyer stating that I have the right to add KM after my name (Knight Marshal) and call myself Sir. But Britain doesn't recognize any knighthoods for people not born as British subjects.

So we don't have to call you Sir after all. Don
  • buschmasterbuschmaster Member Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    it's interesting how the royal family interacts with the public. the queen, for instance (since there's currently no king) makes visits, bestows honors, sends congratulations to people on significant birthdays and wedding anniversaries, etc. you can read about it here. http://www.royal.gov.uk/output/Page4677.asp

I've met a few people from england, more often than not they do have respect for their royalty. some of them, if you make a smart comment about that picture of the Queen of England they have on the wall there, you may as well have insulted a member of their family. so, I suppose those lesser titles do in fact garner respect from the public.
  • 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Couple of different uses, but in general, the younger son(s) of an Earl, Viscount, or Baron. Eldest son may inherit the title, younger siblings get "The Honourable" designation.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am a Scott- Clans and tartans are good enough.[:D]
  • Colonel PlinkColonel Plink Member Posts: 16,460
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    I am a Scott- Clans and tartans are good enough.[:D]

Er..

That's Scot, laddie.
  • KSUmarksmanKSUmarksman Member Posts: 10,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Couple of different uses, but in general, the younger son(s) of an Earl, Viscount, or Baron. Eldest son may inherit the title, younger siblings get "The Honourable" designation.

I believe that this is the most accurate interpretation,
    since the younger sons hadc to go into the military when #1 inherited the land.

thanks to everyone for trying to answer the question
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Colonel Plink
    quote:Originally posted by FrancF
    I am a Scotttttttttttttttt- Clans and tartans are good enough.[:D]

Er..

That's Scot, laddie.

The rest of the t's are silent.[:D][;)][:p][:o)]
    robclan.jpg
    Q90_sr_mearn_clan_tartan_robertson.jpg
  • Blade SlingerBlade Slinger Member Posts: 5,891
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D]

quote:Originally posted by LaidbackDan
    quote:Originally posted by Oklahoma223

Interesting, he's a Knighted Queen?
  • sig232sig232 Member Posts: 8,018
    edited November -1
    My wife has been doing a lot of work tracing my mothers history and has it back to the Earl of Godwin in England! Quite interesting group, all horse theives I believe.
  • Chev.JimChev.Jim Member Posts: 7 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those of you interested in knighthoods, you might find the following link interesting:

www.smockt.org

And, oh, yes. It is the original.

And quite real.