In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Buried WWII weapons in Texas

wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
edited June 2007 in General Discussion
I'm reading a book called Unsolved Texas Mysteries.
One of the chapters is about Camp Maxey outside of Paris Texas. After VE day they started equipng for outfitting a new armored division to be sent to the Pacific, but the bomb ended the plans. The camp was to be closed and instead of storing or selling off all the equipment they dug deep trenches where they moved all the vehicles into and the buried them. The small arms were packed in steel drums and had cosmoline poured over them and they were buried as well. The minitions were just buried without regard to packaging them safely. So lets go on a treasure hunt anybody got a metal detector?

Comments

• ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Sounds good to me![:p][:D]
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Man, I am all for that. Treasure and guns all in one. What could be better.
  • aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    I have a detector...you fly me down and i'll bring it. i took it to the beach once and found $30 in change, a ring and a mercury dime.
  • BeeramidBeeramid Member, Moderator Posts: 7,264 ******
    edited November -1
    I've got a detector, count me in.[8D]
  • kimberkidkimberkid Member Posts: 8,857 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck ... that would be worth buying a detector for!

Actually I've heard rumors of something like that happening here at the air base outside of town ... the version I heard was the treasure even included vehicles driven down into the trenches and covered up rather than moved.
    I think the Air National Guard controlls the area now.
    If you really desire something, you'll find a way ?
    ? otherwise, you'll find an excuse.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,724 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quite true.....back in the 60's had a friend on a base & had orders to clean out a shop...loaded 6x6's with all these tools, many brand new, done at night & took them out to a huge hole on base , dumped & covered them up....i ended up with a brand new coffin 1/2 ton diff chain hoist....pratt airbase had a huge pit dug & filled with ww11 stuff & some old timers around can point out the location....fellow i worked with was in occupation army in japan & they drove every kind of equipment , jeeps, dozers, trucks, etc, onto decks of ships went out about 20 miles, started them up & run them over the side.....in ww11 at a railroad siding of small town near here everyone brought all their scrap in for recycle...the last car filled up & there were couple of old steam tractors left so my friends dad removed the steam whistles & buried the tractors...started his whistle collection
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a metal detector, but I'd rather use a Ground Penetrating Radar device. They could be buried pretty deep.
  • LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Camp Maxey is located next to Pat Mayse Lake.
    The Texas National Guard still uses the site to train.

Your hunt may be a wild goose chase...

"During the ordnance and explosives removal activities at the former Camp Maxey, extreme measures were taken to inform the public of the UXO removal operations in progress. A safety exclusion zone was established at 450 feet around both areas. The exclusion zone was controlled during this removal action by the use of road barriers and signs. Pat Mayse Lake Staff was notified on a daily basis whenever barriers would block roads or road accesses."

The camp is also used as a public hunting area. So have at it if you think you have a chance.
  • ObiWanObiWan Member Posts: 1,054 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know if you roamed the sands of the Saudi desert you could find things.

Too expensive to fly them back. But Texas???? Come on.

If I was a pee-on soldier told to burry a bunch of junk......when 0100 hours came around I'd have a few buddies with shovels to bring them back up.[:p]
  • dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    I got a shovel, a 4X4 pickup and a strong back.

I'm in.[:D]